CFP Update only

Good evening,

I seem to remember that sometime since the new CIS came out an announcement that an update would be made available shortly for folks who just wanted to update their firewall.

Any more word when this CFP update will be out and ready to download?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

It’s already out. The latest version of CFP comes with CIS. You have to uninstall your current version. Download the CIS installer

and during installation only choose the firewall option.

Remember to export your current settings.

:slight_smile:

Ummm thats not what she asked. She asked about an updated version of Comodo Firewall. Not CIS. There is not an updated version of Comodo firewall to download yet.

I read the only way to get the latest version of CFP was uninstalling and reinstalling the version that comes with CIS, only installing the FW though.

Howdy Vettetech and .FaZio93. ,

Vettetech is correct.

I had heard there would be an update made available for CFP users who only want to update their firewall.

I will keep checking back, plus, I have my CFP to automatically check for updates.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

Sorry but it appears by This recent post that .FaZio93. is right.
I hope this is not to much of a problem.
Best Wishes
Dennis

Morning Dennis2,

I appreciate your response.

I was sure I had seen something on the forums recently that a separate firewall update for current CFP users would be made available sometime this week.

If I am wrong, I will give CIS a shot without the anti-virus since I already have and I am satisfied with Avast.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

Good evening all,

Just wanted to let everyone know that when I checked my CFP for updates a few minutes ago it said one was available. So, I went ahead and installed the update.

My firewall is now completely updated to the new version. I think the update went ahead and downloaded the anti-virus part of the new CIS too, but didn’t activate it since I didn’t request it.

Thanks Comodo for furnishing just the Firewall update for us CFP users who don’t want to switch anti-virus programs just yet.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

Can you be a little more specific? Why would you “think” the update downloaded the AV part too?

Morning Hikertrash ,

Why would you "think" the update downloaded the AV part too?

When I go to Programs > Comodo > Firewall it shows this listing:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-10/1084983/Comodo1.gif

Plus when I go to the actual Program itself (Firewall > Miscellaneous > Help) it now displays the entire CIS summary page instead of just the CFP summary page.

Regards,

2harts4ever

The Antivirus files & Registry keys are there, So you can add & remove components without re installing. For example, Add/Remove Programs>Comodo Firewall/Antivirus/CIS>Add/Remove Components, Then you can Add the AV, etc without a reinstall required. It’s all part of the integration work of the Security Suite.

FYI it’s completely normal for those files to be there, As stated.

Josh

Morning 3xist ,

The Antivirus files & Registry keys are there, So you can add & remove components without re installing. For example, Add/Remove Programs>Comodo Firewall/Antivirus/CIS>Add/Remove Components, Then you can Add the AV, etc without a reinstall required. It's all part of the integration work of the Security Suite.

Now that is what I call thinking ahead. The folks who developed Comodo really had their act together before releasing this new version (3.5.54375.427).

Unlike the paid Internet Security Suite program I had before choosing Comodo (who I might add is still trying to sort out their most recent program update), Comodo seems to really look out for the interests of everyone who uses their products.

The way Comodo updated its firewall now gives me (the user) the option of adding Comodos’ anti-virus program anytime I want without going through the uninstall/install process again. That is what I call a ‘first-class act’!

FYI it's completely normal for those files to be there, As stated.

I appreciate this information also. Have a great weekend!

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

Wow, that’s pretty sweet. I’m just updated CFP to 3.5 and use Avira now but may add the AV soon. Nice work.

I have used Comodo Firewall Pro essentially since it was first available. I have been pretty well satisfied for my own use, though I have never considered it usable by unsophisticated users. Nevertheless, I was startled about the latest update to CFP 3: it downloaded and installed quite smoothly, but it seems to include all of the CAV stuff that is added to CFP to build CIS. There is at least 12 to 15 MB of such extraneous material added. I did NOT want this and do not like having it rammed down my throat (actually my Internet connection) without any choice. I use Avira AntiVir Personal (free) and am completely satisfied with it, in spite of some conflicts with CFP which I eventually was able to handle properly. However, I do not want a so-called security suite: I strongly subscribe to the idea that using different vendors is a good thing. This recent “update” is probably enough for me to consider other firewall alternatives. I really think Comodo needs to re-think its philosophy on this.

You can still have CFP standalone like before, but unfortunately, the only way to get the latest CFP is to uninstall the old version and then make a clean installation of CIS (with the Antivirus unchecked). At this moment there’s no new separate installer for the latest CFP.

LA

Sorry to be so late with this reply, but I have been studying other firewalls (no final decision yet) and also making a clean install of CIS with only the Firewall (both firewall proper and defense+) selected. I have some comments on this process:

First, even if one does not select the CAV, its files are stored on one’s machine. This can be seen in %programfiles%\comodo\comodo internet security. As far as I can see, both the update to CFP 3.0 and the clean install of CIS produce the same unwanted bloat, namely around 12 t0 15 MB (probable rather more, in fact) that come from CAV. This is to say, CIS installs CAV, but does not activate it (and probably does not register its parts). However, it is clear that the notion of not selecting CAV in the CIS installer is rather misleading. A fix to this should not be much of an issue! One could hope that non-selection of Defense+ in the CIS installer would also lead to a leaner installed file list!

Second, before I removed CFP 3.0, I saved my configuration with the idea of saving myself some trouble later. Unfortunately, this did not work. The allegedly saved configuration file was (nearly) empy and the subsequent import was useless; that is, I had to figure my way through the whole process once more.

On the other side of all this, however, I am not as dissatisfied as it may appear. I have again a clean system with currently almost nothing in My Own Safe Files (although this will certainly change!). Furthermore, the suppression of the plethora of Defense+ popups about its learning is very nice.

pudelein, I guess this is a thread for you:

How to slim down CIS

(:WIN)

LA

Hey!! Thanks for that, LeoniAquila. That was just what I need, although I will take a slightly more conservative position than that thread was purveying! I only need to dump the CAV-related parts (the folder “scanners”, two sets of .cav files): that saves nearly 25 MB. It would be very nice, however, if this operation (and the related one involving Defense+) could be transferred to the installer as an option.

(:CLP)

Just glad to help out!

Yes, in the best of worlds, we would have that in the installer. Maybe some day. :wink:

LA