CFP still sees a removed application?

I’ve had CFP 3.0.14.276 running for a while now. For the most part it’s been doing quiet well (Defense+ can be a little overbearing sometimes, so I’m still trying to figure that out).

I just uninstalled AVG Anti-Spyware and then rebooted my computer. I deleted all references to the .exe files AVG uses in Defense+/Advanced/Computer Security Policy and Firewall/Advanced/Network Security Policy. However, when I scan the registry I still find all of this:

HKLM\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo\Firewall Pro\Configurations\0\HIPS\Policy\36\Rules\1\Allowed\20
HKLM\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo\Firewall Pro\Configurations\0\HIPS\Policy\36\Rules\1\Allowed\20
HKLM\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo\Firewall Pro\Configurations\0\HIPS\Policy\36\Rules\1\Allowed\34
HKLM\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo\Firewall Pro\Configurations\0\HIPS\Policy\36\Rules\1\Allowed\34
HKLM\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo\Firewall Pro\Configurations\0\HIPS\Policy\44\Rules\0\Allowed\1
HKLM\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo\Firewall Pro\Configurations\0\HIPS\Policy\44\Rules\0\Allowed\1
HKLM\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo\Firewall Pro\Configurations\0\HIPS\Policy\4\Rules\0\Allowed\3
HKLM\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo\Firewall Pro\Configurations\0\HIPS\Policy\4\Rules\0\Allowed\3
HKLM\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo\Firewall Pro\Configurations\0\HIPS\Policy\4\Rules\5\Allowed\43
HKLM\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo\Firewall Pro\Configurations\0\HIPS\Policy\4\Rules\5\Allowed\43
HKLM\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo\Firewall Pro\Configurations\0\HIPS\Policy\80\Rules\1\Allowed\4
HKLM\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo\Firewall Pro\Configurations\0\HIPS\Policy\80\Rules\1\Allowed\4
HKLM\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo\Firewall Pro\Configurations\0\HIPS\Policy\93\Rules\2\Allowed\20
HKLM\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo\Firewall Pro\Configurations\0\HIPS\Policy\93\Rules\2\Allowed\20
HKLM\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo\Firewall Pro\Configurations\0\HIPS\Policy\93\Rules\2\Allowed\9
HKLM\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo\Firewall Pro\Configurations\0\HIPS\Policy\93\Rules\2\Allowed\9

Can CFP delete these policies from it’s own GUI, or will I need to remove them from the registry manually? I can’t seem to find a way to do that.

Also, I have left Network Defense in Train with Safe Mode and Proactive Defense in Clean PC Mode, which was the default when I installed CFP. Is there any reason to change those, or should I just leave them as is?

I suggest you to set Network Defense to Custom Policy Mode if you don’t encounter “connection” problems with your programs. This will prevent CFP from “learning” and automatically giving permissions to apps in your network security policy as they already can connect properly.

As for Clean PC Mode, i guess it’s better to switch to Paranoid Mode if you want full control on programs in computer security policy. It is because CFP in all other modes “learn” their behaviour and automatically gives permissions. Even if you don’t want them to earn such extra rights (as all appropriate permissions they have already received).

If i missed/confused something, others will correct me.

Going into these respective areas and clicking the Purge button will bring up a screen listing invalid files and asking whether you want to remove them from the list.
Click Yes to remove them.
Click Apply at the bottom of the Computer Security Policy or the Network Security Policy screens to finish.

Follow the above procedure and you will not have to manually delete items.

Regards,
Mike

Thanks for the suggestions. They do make sense, seeing as how the firewall should have learned everything it needs to about my system by now.

I can’t seem to find a way to do that either.
Apparently Comodo does not clean up registry entries from deleted programs.
The only way I can see to get rid of the orphaned entries is to manually remove them from the registry or use some sort of registry cleaner.

Regards,
Mike

I probably should have mentioned I had done that already, thinking it would be all I needed to do. I just tried shutting down the firewall and restarting it to see if maybe that would clear out the “cached” registry info, but the entries are still their.

I rebooted before checking for orphaned entries.
Unfortunately, this did not make any difference.

Regards,
Mike

Yeah i know ive been asking about this to. Its not easy doing it manually either. :wink:

I have had pretty good luck using RegSeeker, in case you are looking for a registry cleaner.

Regards,
Mike

i’d rather it auto cleaned dead entires, reg cleaners to me are snake oil. Avoid them. !!! :wink:

I threw something about this in the wishlist. Apparently, the Purge button from the main Computer Security Policy screen only deletes the applications from there, not its sub-screens. So for now, although possible to remove from CFP’s gui, it’s tedious.

https://forums.comodo.com/feedbackcommentsannouncementsnews/comodo_firewall_wishlist_v6-t15557.0.html;msg123607#msg123607

Great idea :wink: