CFP.EXE using 80-95% of CPU

Hi, new here, and new to Comodo. CFP.EXE is using 80-95% of the CPU. This has been going on for days. I have WIN XP, and the only other program that I’m running is Forte Agent, a usenet news reader. I’ve seen in these forums that this problem has existed for years. In one forum, it was advised that it may be related to updates, though cmdagent.exe shows as idle. So, I’ve set my preference to no auto updates. Then I stopped the program, renamed cfp.exe to cfp.zzzzz. Then I rebooted, renamed the program to .exe, and restarted Comodo. Problem still exists. This is an older computer, and have only 1.5g of ram.

I also have Kaspersky antivirus, but they don’t appear to be in conflict. Any guidance would be appreciated. Marc

Having 2 av running at the same time is not the best. Try disabling kaspsrsky.

Cheers

i have never had that problem. so i think also it might be a conflict with kaspersky.

before you try difficult things, make it easy and try what happens without kaspersky. or what happens when you just install comodo firewall (and defense+… but maybe kaspersky has something like defense, and thats the problem).
dont run 2 antivirus at the same time as a guard.
as i think, you paid for kaspersky, i would say, use kaspersky antivirus.

Hello, I have exactly the same problem, see other post.
I am on W 7 x64 with Avast anti virus.
The ■■■■■■ just never stops using up 60 -70% of the processor.
All up to date, no virus signs.
Is it taking over ;D ???

I am using Avast and CIS together with Immunet but I have disabled comodo’s AV realtime protection.

In other word: if you have two AV disable one of the AV’s realtime protection (even they don’t cause any conflicts).

Regards,
Valentin

I have similar problems with CIS 5.0 FW + DEF+ only, together with Avast AV 5.0 free.

CFP.exe often occupies the whole 1 of 2 CPU cores of my C2D E4700 for dozens of seconds till minutes.
It usually happens if launching a program new to CIS, especially if triggered Send to analysis.

having the same explosive CPU eating with cfp.exe as well. it was doing fine until I updated to 5.3.174622.1216. but now it just seems intent on killing my computer. usually when I open firefox is when it is at its worst.

Hey and warm welcome to comodo forums Sclariqrevk!

My best advice is that you reinstall CIS 5.3 by downloading CIS 5.3 32bit and CIS clean-up tool. Before you uninstall the current CIS that you use extract the CIS clean up tool zip file. After CIS is successfully uninstalled use CIS clean up-tool in safe mode(press F8 when the computer boots). Now install CIS 5.3

I hope this helps.

I wish a nice day :slight_smile:

Regards,
Valentin N

May be left overs of previously uninstalled security programs are acting up. Try using removal tools for those programs. Here is a list of removal tools for common av programs: ESET Knowledgebase .

Otherwise do a Google search with terms “removal tool” and * name of product or vendor*.

Dunno. I’m having the same problem with cpf.exe randomly shooting up to 50-70% cpu also, on an XPP SP3 machine which was reformatted & has had nothing but Comodo FW & Microsoft Security Essentials on it since the reformat. I’ll try the uninstall, cleanup & re-install of 5.3 suggested above & report back.

Attached is a snap of Process Monitor showing what cfp.exe is doing when it’s thrashing.

[attachment deleted by admin]

add MSE in Detection shellcodes injected and this is how you do it. CIS —> Defense+ —> Defense+ Settings —> Execution control Settings —> Detect shellcode injections (i.e. Buffer overflow protection) —> Exclusions —> Add —> Browse…

Regards,
Valentin N

Just the executable?

yea

Tell us if this solves the problem

Excluded msseces.exe, rebooted. No change in behavior - cfp.exe still grabs 50-70% CPU randomly for several minutes at a time.

try to but the complete folder. Do you have any AV with realtime protection/scanner on.

Cloud you answer me through PM so that I can help you more :slight_smile: Thanks

Regards,
Valentin N

well I have 64-bit W7. will this still work or make any sort of difference?

please download CIS 5.3 64bit I didn’t not know what OS you had. Sorry

Regards,
Valentin N

Daiwa. How big is your list of Application Rules in the Firewall and how big is your list of Defense Rules in D+?

When you have a lot of custom rules saving a new rule can take a little while at the seconds scale. When saving a new rule(s) CIS will rewrite the complete ruleset as stored in the registry. We may be looking at that when I try to understand the Procmon log.

On my computer it maxes out one core in this situation.

well, I’ve uninstalled CIS, ran the reg cleaner in safe mode and reinstalled CIS and so far (the last 15 minutes or so) cfp.exe seems to be behaving itself. though now the Action Centre is telling me that I have no** AV software installed, even though I do as it is currently running (and has been for the last year). should I just reinstall Avast or is there a less headache-y alternative to this?

I run Avast with Comodo Firewall so it’s not like a battle of wits between 2 AV programs or anything

**typo

???

Wholly unclear on that statemtment: is AVG not an AV app?

My baffling can be aleviated by explaining that AVG and Avast are not the same thing, or that the same thing are NOT the same in every case.

Although I’m unclear what cfp.EXE is - it is a component of CIS - I refrain from messing with CIS in general; I’ve found that other real-time protections truly protest and cause ‘prollems’ when they can’t access CIS components in memory. You must allow those apps to access CIS in memory via the CIS interface (else CIS will stymie those real-time apps). IF any real-time protection app that I trust wants access to any CIS component - either in memory or otherwise - I allow it as a matter of fact.