CFP 3 broke my Thunderbird

Just upgraded to CFP 3. After configuring the install as “basic firewall” (no Defense +), I got a bunch of alerts from both Firewall and D+ anyway (had to manually disable it later - what was the point of the install config if the program was going to ignore my chosen setting anyway?)

A D+ alert popped up when I first launched Thunderbird, I hit allow but CFP just froze for the longest time.

Eventually, t-bird and CFP recovered., but now t-bird doesn’t download my email even after manually adding it as a trusted application. Reinstalling t-bird didn’t help, what did CFP do do my email program??

Are you using gmail or encrypted email through your ISP? Comodo left port 995 off the port list that supports their email client rules, so won’t work if you try to use that predefined policy. If you are using gmail and Thunderbird, also need to add port 587. Go to Firewall/Common Tasks/My Port Sets and add 995 and 587 to the POP3/SMTP ports and see if that helps. Should be in next fix, per Melih. At worst, won’t do anything-not a security issure. Go to your firewall/common tasks/firewall events log and see what is being blocked. If you see blocked outgoing udp to port 53, you will need to also add a rule to allow outbound DNS requests: allow/udp/out/any/any/any/53 . But first check the log to see what is being blocked, since you have already made t-bird trusted. The last rule in your email client rule list should be a “block everything else and log” so you can see if anything is missing.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

ISP, no gmail

Comodo left port 995 off the port list that supports their email client rules, so won’t work if you try to use that predefined policy. If you are using gmail and Thunderbird, also need to add port 587. Go to Firewall/Common Tasks/My Port Sets and add 995 and 587 to the POP3/SMTP ports and see if that helps.
Added both ports, no difference
Go to your firewall/common tasks/firewall events log and see what is being blocked.
There is nothing logged there at all
The last rule in your email client rule list should be a “block everything else and log” so you can see if anything is missing.
Where is this configured? Thanks

Look at the rules under Firewall/advanced/Predefined Firewall Policies/email client. Mine are shown below. This should get you a log of whatever “allow” rule might be missing for Thunderbird.

[attachment deleted by admin]

I compared my email rules to yours and added the http one that was missing . . . no dice.

What’s weird is that my final rule is not “block everything else and log” — it’s “ask about everything else” . . but it is not asking, it is blocking my Thunderbird.

What now???

Change the last rule to “block everything and log” and check you log for what is being blocked when Thunderbird does email. “Ask” does not work for me, and sounds like it does not for you either.

I have posted elsewhere on this forum about my Thunderbird problem You might have the same? It was my email-checking in NOD32 that for some reason blocked my mail even if I uninstalled CFP3. When I disabled email-checking in NOD32 Thunderbird started to work. Then I could enable it again after a while and it has now worked for a few days without problems together with CFP3. CFP3 did something I think, but I don’t know what…
Even if you don’t have NOD32, try to disable email-checking in your AV program and see if it helps. You can also try to delete the rules for Thunderbird in the firewall and then start it and allow all popups it produces. You can also add Thunderbird in Defence+ to “my own safe files” and “my trusted software vendors”.

AOwL . . . bingo!. I don’t have NOD32, I have Webroot SS with AV . . . CFP “did something” alright to my AV scanner . . . now even with the FW completely off, email will not DL as long as my real-time AV is on . . . what did CFP do to it???

I tried searching for your thread, couldn’t find it . . . not the greatest searcher . . .can you post a URL? . . . how do I fix what CFP did to my AV??? . . . BTW, I deleted the rules for email apps in CFP, and ran TB . . . no popup alert from CFP . . . Thanks for ur help AOwL

Does it work now?

The other thread was just the same answer as i wrote here.
https://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v3/attn_cfp_30_temporary_fixes-t15561.0.html

No … whether firewall is off or on, email will not DL as long as AV real time shield is on. When I turn aV off, email comes down fine to TB . . . CFP doesn’t make a peep, even though I deleted the email rules and some popup should result . . . some kind of program, this CFP . . .

It worked for me after I discovered that the email still didn’t work even after I uninstalled the firewall. I turned off email checking in AV program and it worked. I then installed the firewall again and it still worked. I turned ON the email checking in my AV and now it works and have done so for a week without problems.

AOwL…thanks for all your help…I took 1/2 of your advice and uninstalled CFP 3… installed Webroot FW and went smooth as silk, it’s quietly learning my apps and processes, and allowed me to use Firefox and get my email with my AV turned on . . . .sorry, I won’t be trying Comodo products ever again . . . way more trouble than its worth, even for a free program. Good luck to all who continue to use and develop it . . . .