CFP 3.0.14.276 aborted at Windows start up

I’ve had these error messages from CFP two or three times already with this new version (3.0.14.276) and the beta last week. No idea what this is about. Anyway the issue stops CFP at Windows logging time and that’s a bit annoying isn’t it…(didn’t happen with the beta 3.0.14.274, I just remembered the first time it happened was with this new version 30.0.14.276)

Win XPSp2 + CFP 3.0.14.276 + Avast AV + Win Defender

[attachment deleted by admin]

Curious. I wonder if there is a conflict between cfp and Avast. There was another post, almost exactly the same, here:

Error Messages on Bootup

But no responses yet. Unfortunately, I don’t use Avast, I’m just looking at the common denominators.

thanks for your answer Toggie. I’ve already thought it could be Avast responsible for this, but how…? The error isn’t reproduced at each boot, with Avast having the same settings, it’s only once in a while; it’s the second time only I see this.

I find the new firewall runs very smoothly with Avast. However I did find that windows defender caused problems with the firewall on two other systems, one XP and one Vista. Might be worth your while disabling defender and seeing if there is any difference.

:SMLR

I can only confirm that this new version runs also very smoothly on my system with both MS Defender and Avast. Deactivating temporarily either Avast or Defender (MS) wouldn’t bring much as, again, the issue is hardly reproducable. The CFP process abortion is very seldom, it’s happened only twice at boot time on my system. I rebooted a few minutes ago in the same conditions, and CFP started normally, like it most of the time does.

I mentioned defender as there have been reports of it causing a similar intermittent problem with other security software, notably Norton and McAffee. Something about files temporarily created at boot up I think? This sounds like a similar intermittent problem. If it continues to recur I would try disabling windows defender and see if it happens again.

:SMLR

OK I have an idea, just an idea: I’ve noticed that Def+ in clean pc mode learns all Avast processes, except the auto-update one, for some reason (?). And I protected in Def+ all Avast processes found in task manager against termination and interprocess memory access. As the Avast auto update process was not there I added it manually and protected it as well.

A guess is that if Def+ doesn’t record automatically Avast auto-update process, it could be that CFP might need to terminate it at boot time. So CFP might get problems starting at boot time when it can’t do it. The auto-update in Avast seemed actually to have problems before I protected it. Avast log viewer showed messages that it could not be processed due to errors (?).

Now if the issue with CFP being aborted at boot time doesn’t happen at each boot, it could just be because Avast auto-update isn’t triggered by avast itself at each boot.

Again, this is all pure speculation. And this post (mine) could well make no sens at all. :SMLR

this user has the same issue, and doesn’t have MS Defender
https://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v3/error_messages_on_bootup-t17022.0.html

I don’t use AVAST!, but would like to point out the somewhat random start of programs at Windows boot. The OP’s issues sounds very much like a timing problem: when he boots and everything seems normal, his applications are starting in a different order than they do when he gets CFP aborting. It is possible that this has little to do with CFP or Avast!. You could use (for example) ProcessExplorer to examine the start order of applications. I run it as a replacement for the Windows Task Manager; its lists shjow the start time of each running application and you could use this to check after various reboots to see what is happening. Tedious, but can be effective.

I’ve also thought that it could be a timing issue between Avast and CFP at boot time. I got the process explorer install file on my HDD, will reinstall it and take a look. Thanks for your reply.

ps. oups, forgot there’s no installation at all with process explorer

Leopard,

I think you’re right with this one! I’ve noticed that these ‘extracting resources’ errors appear when Avast has started the updating process before logging into Windows. Can you please provide some guidance (or a pointer the help files) on how I could protect all Avast processes, including the auto-update, in Def+?

Thanks!

go to Def+ options/computer security policy
find those entries:

ashDisp.exe
ashServ.exe
ashWebSv.exe

then edit each one and click on protection settings (not access rights!)
on Interprocess Memory Accesses put “Yes”
on Process Terminations put “Yes”

then add manually the auto-update service from Avast, cause it’s not there (wasn’t learnt by Def+)
always in computer security policy click “add”
then select and browse to that file: aswUpdSv.exe found somewhere in your Alwill/Avast folder in program files

once added:
do the same as before on Protection Settings
and in access rights, allow everything except “run an executable” that you should set to “ask”

click apply as many times as required, you’re done.

another way can be to create a new group from the “my protected files” interface called “avast” for instance, add in it the concerned Avast executable (only those that must run permanently) , then add the group in security policy and apply the same rules in Def+ globally to the group. The choice is yours.

Just be aware that this procedure won’t resolve the conflict with CFP. It will protect the Avast processes, and probably will make the issue with CFP even worse :SMLR

But what’s the need of running a HIPS on a computer if we don’t at least use the benefit it can bring to overall security, like stopping a virus from deactivating your anti-virus software, before it spreads on your machine. You can do the same on any other program, like the anti-spy ones that are not protected either against process termination.

Leopard, thank you so much for the detailed instructions! I’ll definitely check these out!

you’re welcome (:WIN)

Hello, now i already have a long time Comodo Firewall (latest version).
But today i got 2 very very crazy errors wich i have never seen before !

(1st error)

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/1117/comodoerrorvr6.png

And after i clicked the first i get another one (see below)

(2nd error)

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/1345/comodoerror2mt9.png

I re-installed it but diddn’t work.?

Another little problem I have is with 32 antivirus v2,7.
In the begin when I install the Comodo Firewall you can let him allow for always as an Thrusted Application (when NOD32 updates he connects to a list of update servers more times a day).
After a few weeks Comodo begins to ask for all update requests of Nod32 to allow or deny…
Now even if u allow them for everything and always the firewall still ask to allow or deny…!?

For the rest i use all Comodo products! simple: They are super!

Now after tried very very much to repair it, it won’t worked. But another problem now i found is when the Comodo Firewall secures my standard + Microsoft Outlook you can’t access them anymore because “You dont have enough rights to open the maps”

Im using (with the latest updates):
Comodo Firewall Pro
NOD32 Anti-virus v2,7
Comodo Anti-Malware
and tried to fix some things with Professional Registry Doctor (but didd’nt work)

Even tried to Re-install (too an older version) and get back in the time…but all did’nt work. !

Another detailled post with effects of bootup error…
https://forums.comodo.com/bug_reports/cfp_3014276_aborted_at_windows_start_up-t17126.0.html;msg118045

[NEW]
I tried all fix methods i could find on the forum but nothing worked.
Now i found a hard way to un-install CFP, but i still got the problems with the standard and Office Outlook… I can’t acess them anymore because i get this 3 errors:

Standard Windows Outlook Express
1st error:

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/7190/outlookexpress1ux2.png

Can’t start Outlook Express. Can’t open the message archive, it can be there is not enough space. Contact Microsoft for more information 0x800C012E,5
2nd error:

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/774/outlookexpress2yg5.png

Can’t start Outlook Express cause can’t load/initalize MSOE.dll It’s possible that Outlook Express not good has been installed.

Microsoft Office Outlook Express
1-error

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/7103/officeoutlook1vb2.png

Can’t open standard maps. The acess has been denied. U have not enough rights to open C:\Documents and settings\Owner\Local settings\Application data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst.

(old message)
Now after tried very very much to repair it, it won’t worked. But another problem now i found is when the Comodo Firewall secures my standard + Microsoft Outlook you can’t access them anymore because “You dont have enough rights to open the maps”

Im using (with the latest updates):
Comodo Firewall Pro
NOD32 Anti-virus v2,7
Comodo Anti-Malware
and tried to fix some things with Professional Registry Doctor (but didd’nt work)

Even tried to Re-install (too an older version) and get back in the time…but all did’nt work. !

I cannot help you for Outlook and NOD32 as I don’t run them but as I said when I started this topic, the issue I got with CFP being aborted at startup is in my case very seldom, I’ve only had it twice, it hasn’t happened again since I spoke about it in this thread, and I have changed nothing to my PC config.