CF Tor Server Ports Setup... Now I'm Dizzy

Hi all,

Ok I’ve got Firefox working with Tor, Privoxy, Vidalia and Torbutton (:CLP) I’ve had no problem setting up other ports such as eMule from the FAQ section. Windows XP & router used.

Now my heads spinning, I can’t setup the Tor Server to work, I get error messages that are well above my head. Can any one please give me the idiots guide to the CF port setup. Mentioned in Tor are the port numbers:

9001 TCP/UDP ??
9030 TCP/UDP ??
9050 TCP/UDP ??
9051 TCP/UDP ??

I had the Tor Server working before with the Windows Firewall.

Thanks in advance
Webby

You must open the ports that your TOR-server is configured to use
for both incoming and outgoing traffic and the ports must be correctly forwarded
on your router …
http://tor.eff.org/docs/tor-doc-server.html.en

windows firewall doesn’t block outgoing traffic, Comodo does, and it sounds like that’s the only thing that has really changed on your system ?
See this FAQ details on how to make the needed rules :
https://forums.comodo.com/faq_for_comodo_firewall/how_to_understanding_creating_network_control_rules_properly-t1125.0.html

Hi Gordon,

I’ll give that a try and report back.

Thanks Webby

Hi all,

Well I manage to get the Tor Server working, fact is I think it was working all the time with my first Comodo Firewall settings I entered. What confused me was the massive list of messages in the Message Log.

I took a closer look at the Vadalia Messages Log - Settings, and saw that the Info box was ticked, I had this off before and thats what gave me the whole load of messages that sent my head spinning. Switch that off and you should only get something like 15 lines of information about certain connections.

I have some http status 502 error messages that I did not have before but it does not seen to stop the server from working ok. Anybody and ideas what this is all about?

Thanks Webby

Hi *********,

I took a closer look at the Vadalia Messages Log - Settings, and saw that the Info box was ticked, I had this off before and thats what gave me the whole

load of messages that sent my head spinning. Switch that off and you should only get something like 15 lines of information about certain connections.

Action = Allow
Protocol = TCP
Direction = In
Source IP = Any
Destination IP = your computer IP adress (you can also use “Any”, if you are using a modem and not a router; by this you won’t have to change the IP address

every time you connect in internet )
Source port = Any
Destination port = 9001

Action = Allow
Protocol = TCP or UDP
Direction = In or Out
Source IP = Any
Destination IP = your IP adress (or “Any” )
Source port = Any
Destination port = 9030

Action = Allow
Protocol = TCP
Direction = In
Source IP = Any
Source port = Any
Destination port = 9050

Action = Allow
Protocol = TCP
Direction = In
Source IP = Any
Source port = Any
Destination port = 9051

Aug 03 **:47:41.364 [Notice] Tor v0.1.2.16. This is experimental software. Do not rely on it for strong anonymity.
Aug 03 **:47:41.364 [Notice] Your ContactInfo config option is not set. Please consider setting it, so we can contact you if your server is misconfigured orsomething else goes wrong.

Aug 03 :47:41.364 [Notice] Initialized libevent version 1.3b using method win32. Good.
Aug 03 :47:41.364 [Notice] Opening OR listener on 0.0.0.0:9001
Aug 03 :47:41.364 [Notice] Opening Directory listener on 0.0.0.0:9030
Aug 03 :47:41.364 [Notice] Opening Socks listener on 127.0.0.1:9050
Aug 03 :47:41.364 [Notice] Opening Control listener on 127.0.0.1:9051
Aug 03 :47:41.583 [Notice] Your Tor server’s identity key fingerprint is '
Aug 03 :47:47.974 [Notice] Guessed our IP address as ..
Aug 03 :47:48.974 [Notice] Tor has successfully opened a circuit. Looks like client functionality is working.
Aug 03 :47:48.974 [Notice] Now checking whether ORPort ..
:9001 and DirPort ..
:9030 are reachable… (this may take up to 20 minutes

– look for log messages indicating success)
Aug 03 **:47:52.974 [Notice] Self-testing indicates your DirPort is reachable from the outside. Excellent.
Aug 03 **:47:55.020 [Notice] Self-testing indicates your ORPort is reachable from the outside. Excellent. Publishing server descriptor.
Aug 03 **:48:50.552 [Notice] Performing bandwidth self-test…done.