Cavwp.exe runs full scan even when AV disabled on main page [M907]

A. THE BUG/ISSUE (Varies from issue to issue)

• Summary - Give a clear summary in the topic subject, NOT here.
  • Can U reproduce the problem & if so how reliably?:
    Yes, 100%.
  • If U can, exact steps to reproduce. If not, exactly what U did & what happened:
    1: Disable the AV, but do not disable the scheduled scans
    2:Then notice that a full scan is run as scheduled, even though the AV component was disabled
  • If not obvious, what U expected to happen:
    The AV, including scans, should never run or use resources when disabled.
  • If a software compatibility problem have U tried the conflict FAQ?:
    NA
  • Any software except CIS/OS involved? If so - name, & exact version:
    No.
  • Any other information, eg your guess at the cause, how U tried to fix it etc:
    Pure coding bug. AV is running even after being disabled.

B. YOUR SETUP

• Exact CIS version & configuration:
  • Modules enabled & level. D+/HIPS, Autosandbox/BBlocker, Firewall, & AV:
    av-disabled, hips disabled, firewall-safe, sand-normal
  • Have U made any other changes to the default config? (egs here.):
    Minor stuff perhaps
  • Have U updated (without uninstall) from a CIS 5?:
    unsure
    [list type=lower-alpha][li]if so, have U tried a a clean reinstall - if not please do?:
    Haven’t yet, but this still shouldn’t be happening regardless.
    [/li]- Have U imported a config from a previous version of CIS:
    unsure
    [li]if so, have U tried a standard config - if not please do:
    not yet, but…
    [/li]- OS version, SP, 32/64 bit, UAC setting, account type, V.Machine used:
    win xp 32 sp3
  • Other security/s’box software a) currently installed b) installed since OS:
    a=avast b=none
    [/list]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Did you also disable the scheduled scans, as shown in the attached screenshot?

Thanks.

[attachment deleted by admin]

No, I didn’t. i didn’t bother looking beyond disabling the AV.

I just checked, and those two default scans are still active, and after checking the schedule for them, I can see that the problem is occuring on that schedule, so I will disable them and I’m sure that will solve it, however…

This is still a program bug. The disable switch on the main screen should function like a master kill switch. Once disabled, the AV should do absolutely nothing. If it’s still running scans…then the disabled switch is meaningless, i.e., broken.

I also found another problem. Looking in the scan options I see that a checkbox was checked that says ‘only run when system is idle’, well…this thing is kicking in when my cpu is totally maxed out playing a 3d video game, so the idle option is also broken.

This has to be affecting more people and probably many just aren’t noticing it if they have newer systems. I hope they get it repaired quickly.

I’m not sure if this is intended behavior or not. However, I will forward it as a bug to the developers to see what they say. If it is classified as intended behavior I will then re-open it as a wish. However, can you please edit your first post to be more specific about what we now understand the problem to be. Especially important are the new steps for reproduction and the title.

Please create a new bug report for this.

Thank you.

Hi
I have also made a bug report for this similar issue
If you can fill in a bug report too, like this

https://forums.comodo.com/format-verified-issue-reports-beta-corner-cis/high-cpu-load-after-full-scan-v7bm887-t102210.0.html

The two issues may or may not be related. Thus, to be safe I think it’s best to create a new report for what spaceboy909 is experiencing.

Thanks.

Thank you very much for your report in standard format, with all information supplied. The care you have taken is much appreciated by Comodo, and will increase the likelihood that this bug can be fixed.

Developers may or may not communicate with you in the forum or by PM/IM, depending on time availability and need. Because you have supplied complete information they may be able to replicate and fix the bug without doing so.

Many thanks again.

This has been reclassified as an enhancement. I have therefore moved this to the Verified Wish board.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.

An enhancement? This is a disfunctional product. Selecting ‘disabled’ does not in fact disable the AV. Flaws like this just make customers, or would be customers, uninstall the product, as some have already indicated.

It is in the company’s own best interest to immediately repair this, and this shouldn’t be more than a 5 minute fix. After all, you’re simply talking about switching something off, not a total redesign.

My understanding of this is that when disabling the AV component from the main screen, it is disabling the real-time AV protection. However, this is independent of the scheduled scans. Therefore, the enhancement would be that it also disables the scheduled scans along with the real-time scanner.

I hope that helps to clarify the matter. If not please feel free to ask.

Thanks.

I personally do not see any coding issue or any other issue.
The help file clearly states that the antivirus pane on the home screen is for real time scanning.
Antivirus Pane-Help

[b]Disabled[/b] - The Real time scanning is disabled. Antivirus does not perform any scanning and the threats cannot be detected before they impart any harm to the system.

Also the help file for the flip pane clearly states that it is to control real time tasks.
Enable or disable security components-Help

The flippable pane on the right allows you to selectively enable or disable real-time antivirus, the firewall and/or the Auto-Sandbox. The other side of the pane displays the status of real-time protection and when the virus database was updated.

The help file for the scan profiles clearly states the toggle besides each profile is to enable/disable scheduled scans.
Scan profiles-Help

Note: The schedule scan will run only if it is enabled. Click the button under the Active column beside the respective profile row to toggle between on and off status.

I am failing to see a coding issue, when the help file backs up that this is the intended actions.

Kind regards.

Please check and see if this has been implemented with CIS version 7.0.313494.4115. Let me know whether it has been implemented or not so I can update the tracker.

Thank you.

I’m sorry to say that the devs have rejected this Wish. The reason given is that the home screen controls are meant to be only for the real-time tasks, and the devs believe it is not worth the extra programming effort to move any other settings from the advanced settings interface.

Therefore I will move this to Rejected.

Thank you.