cavwp.exe Reading everything, slowing down the system

Hello everyone
Comodo Antivirus has saved my life and my data so many times, and I totally love it. But there is a problem, I have set antivirus heuristics to high, and I have enabled both real time scan and scan optimization options, I have also set the antivirus to decompress and scan .jar, .exe, .jpg, .tar, .rar, .cab, .msi, .7, .gz files. max file size is set to 200MB and max script size is set to 20 MB.

Now whenever I try to, as an example open a folder, it takes a long time to be able to work with that folder, or when ever I open ‘programs and features’ from control panel in windows it takes for ever so that the list is usable, cause cavwp.exe keeps reading a lof of msi files in windows directory.

Now which settings should I change in my configuration? Cause I know I am doing something wrong.

Also because I have enabled scan optimizations, should it probably not get faster over time? cause some msi files are not changed on my systems for months.
Thank you.

Enable scanning optimizations option probably marks already scanned files with current database version; mentioned files are not ignored with next scan if database is updated. Makes sense to me. Try disabling it.

It’s probably not a good idea. I’m not sure if that’s needed since execution of malicious file(s) is blocked by Auto-Sandbox rule.

Seeing as you noticed constant scanning of msi files, you should check the difference with removing .msi from scan and decompress files setting. But as windstorm has stated it really is not a good idea to have all those file extensions added to decompress scanning, as for performances goes.

I notice this as well, and it doesn’t seem to be any way to disable it, it is really annoying.

All I use Comodo for is HIPS + Firewall, which to me means that it shouldn’t be scanning anything that isn’t being RUN.

How did you determine this? What source of information or application are you using to monitor and track the performance of cavwp.exe?

I personally use system internals suit tools “Process Monitor” + “Process Explorer” in conjunction to find out what is causing high disk activity.

This is how I found out about this. I am not saying Comodo AV is doing something wrong, I am sure with the right setting I can speed things up.

In that case, please report it as bug. They’d be happy to fix such performance issues.
By the way, @umesh posted a nice guide: https://forums.comodo.com/bug-reports-cis/steps-to-collect-performance-data-during-slowdown-t118342.0.html