CAVS 3 Question

Hello,

Will CAVS 3 use HIPS as well as Signature-Based protection as well? I am thinking about “Prevention” and how ordinary AVS just count on Signatures, Getting them updated etc…

So how will CAVS 3 really top all AVS? Similar to CFP 3?

Josh.

Please bear in mind that the following is just my “reading between the lines” of scattered posts and ■■■, and is not an official description of the capabilities of any future version of CAVS.

AFAIK, CAVS3 will have a HIPS component, but, if installed on a system with CFP 3, will give the user the option to co-operatively use the HIPS from the firewall or install as a stand alone AV without HIPS. If installed on a system without CFP V3, you will have the option to install the AV on its own or the AV with the HIPS component.

Comodo have written, several times, that CAVS3 will be available as an AV on it own, an AV with HIPS built in or as an AV co-operatively using CFP V3’s HIPS.

The options are left to the user, but Comodo are committed to giving us the choice.

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

[Edit: Alright, second time today that someone posts a response as I’m typing one (:AGY).

Panic is correct, of course. Nothing here is official, but it is what I have read and gathered from the posts of others. I hope I made that clear enough. Without further ado, my book :slight_smile: ]

Hey Josh 123, obviously no one but the developers know for sure but from what I’ve read I can gather a few things.

1. Yes, CAVS 3 will use HIPS, much like CAVS 2 does. For users who run both CFP 3 + CAVS 3 there will not be double the HIPS systems if you will. I’ve seen some posts (by Melih I think) where he has indicated that the two systems will be integrated so that only one HIPS component will be installed if both the firewall and anti virus are on the same PC. For users who wish to run either the firewall or the anti virus but not both, they will still get HIPS as it will be installed by whichever one they choose.

2. CAVS 3 will also be using the common signature based detection method employed by the typical anti virus products on the market. From what I’ve read, CAVS 3 will use BoClean signatures in its database. There are rumors going around that BoClean itself will be integrated into CAVS 3 as well. I’m personally not sure which route Melih and the developers will take, though I’m sure it will be a good one no matter what. Something to keep in mind is that BoClean may not be integrated in the first release, if it even happens at all. Yes, the definitions will be updated as well. For all intents and purposes CAVS 3 will be a normal anti virus program in its usage of definitions and definition updates, etc. It’s just that parts of it are on steroids.

3 Will it top all AV’s. That is up to the user. Personally, I think with its combination detection (signature based and heuristics) + prevention (HIPS) CAVS 3 will really be a force to be reckoned with once it gets out to the Internet community. Combine it with the work going on with the firewall and we have a very happy me (:CLP)

Hopefully that all made sense to you. I apologize if I wrote you a book, I have a habit of doing that. Finally, hope it was helpful.

[Edited my post to future tense. My language made it seem like I have already seen and used CAVS 3, which I have not]

Dave

Both of you answered all my questions! No harm done with the book hehe, Much appreciated!!! Thanks both you guys do a fantastic job here at the forum, I am looking forward to CAVS 3!

Well done, Great forum this is :slight_smile:

Josh.

Josh, glad I could help in some way. Also, thank you for the compliment, much appreciated.

I am looking forward to CAVS 3!

Aren’t we all… (V) Personally, I plan on trashing my nod subscription almost as soon as this comes out so I can play with it. Like a kid in a candy store…

Dave

i personally would wait for some AV tests with CAVS3 before switching from time-proven NOD32… tho i have a rar with 10’000 viruses somewhere and will probably test it myself… all i can say - i’ll certainly give it a try :-)))

Burillo, under normal circumstances I’d agree with you. Nod has been nothing but good for me but I can’t wait to get my hands on CAVS 3. Besides, its my schools laptop. I’ve imaged it myself. And of course, they’re IT department has as well.

Besides, whats valuable on here? Academic stuff (:LGH)

Dave

could you pls send me the 10.000 viruses.rar ??? this grudge needs a vengeance >:(

What is AFAIK???

Thanks!

Andreas

Panic wrote about CFP 3.0 HIPS will be integrated in CAV 3. The CAV 2 HIPS is a total other HIPS in relation to HIPS of CFP 3.0.

Andreas

AFAIK = As Far As I Know. Ahh the wonderful world of eBreviations in the 21st century.

Thanks! I am from Austria. I understand “As Far As I Know” but AFAIK is for me very difficult to understand. Thanks!

Andreas

could you pls send me the 10.000 viruses.rar? Huh this grudge needs a vengeance
seems like i've deleted it some time ago... ■■■■... one moment, i think i remember where i got it :-)))

Hi Andreas,

I’m assuming you’re referring to this sentence by me:

Yes, CAVS 3 will use HIPS, much like CAVS 2 does

when you said this:

Panic wrote about CFP 3.0 HIPS will be integrated in CAV 3. The CAV 2 HIPS is a total other HIPS in relation to HIPS of CFP 3.0.

When I wrote that CAVS 3 will use HIPS, much like CAVS 2 I was just trying to compare them in terms of both being HIPS components integrated into the AV. Indeed, I believe the HIPS in CAVS 3 will be a completely different beast than the one V. 2 though there has been no official word of it. This is just my opinion.

Also, the two HIPS systems will only be integrated if you have both the firewall and AV installed. If one would choose, one could have standalone AV with HIPS component as well.

Sorry if there was any confusion.

Dave

No confusion! But i would like know if CAV 3 will has HIPS of CFP 3.0 definitively or not. Or my question is false??!!

(:WIN) (:WIN) (:WIN)

Andreas

Hi Andreas, if you’re asking whether Version 3 will use the same HIPS of CFP 3 the answer is I’m not sure. As far as I know, no one has said a word about whether they will be exactly the same.

Having said that, it stands to reason (at least to me) that the two will be similar since Comodo aims to integrate the two if users are using both products or offering them with the products individually if users do not use both products. If they are not at least similar I can see

1. A lot of confusion
  2. Individuals who choose to use only one being unhappy and disgruntled if they use one that they view as lesser or not as able to protect. Sort of like “choosing” the better one.

So, for the reasons above, I personally believe the two HIPS systems will be very similar, if not exactly the same. But of course, I’m not an employee or admin. of Comodo here so the same disclaimer applies (:WIN)

Hope that helps,

Dave

Hi psych1610, I think i understand. CAVS 3.0 will has an antivirus HIPS and this HIPS isn´t compareable with HIPS of CAV 2 and CFP 3.0.

Maybe that is the correct answer.

I hope, you, panic and other posters could solve this important question about CAV 3.0.

All right??

Andreas

additional: We should discuss about the functionality of HIPS of CAV 3.0!!!

Hi psych1610, I think i understand. CAVS 3.0 will has an antivirus HIPS and this HIPS isn´t compareable with HIPS of CAV 2 and CFP 3.0.

Maybe that is the correct answer.

I hope, you, panic and other posters could solve this important question about CAV 3.0.

Andreas, from what I can tell on the forums CAVS will combine normal anti virus with HIPS. I believe the HIPS in CAVS 3.0 will be comparable to that of the HIPS in CFP 3.0 for reasons stated in my last post.

As to whether the HIPS in Version 3 of anti virus will be different to HIPS in Version 2 of anti virus, I believe the answer is yes, it will be.

This is the only logical answer I can make when I say that Version 3 of CAVS HIPS will be similar to Version 3 of CFP. If you have used or are using CFP 3.0 and CAVS 2.0 beta you can tell the two HIPS modules in those systems are significantly different. So to summarize, my idea goes like this:

CAVS 3.0 and CFP 3.0 HIPS systems are similar.
CAVS 3.0 and CAVS 2.0 beta systems are different, in so far as they can be different and still be considered HIPS. Please do not take this last comment the wrong way, I am not implying or guessing that Comodo is coming up with a brand new technology. Just saying that for two HIPS components to still be HIPS components they need to have some things in common.

Hope that helps, without creating even more questions :slight_smile:

Dave

(:CLP) (:CLP) (:CLP)

Wonderful! Thanks! I understand.

And when we installed CAV 3.0 combined with CFP 3.0 and both HIPS are activated then it is the total internet security protection.

Comodo! Congratulation!

:BNC :BNC :BNC

Andreas

And when we installed CAV 3.0 combined with CFP 3.0 and both HIPS are activated then it is the total internet security protection.

Almost, but not quite. Just one small clarification :SMLR. If two HIPS systems were activated on the same system it would almost certainly cause havoc. As I said here:

For users who run both CFP 3 + CAVS 3 there will not be double the HIPS systems if you will. I've seen some posts (by Melih I think) where he has indicated that the two systems will be integrated so that only one HIPS component will be installed if both the firewall and anti virus are on the same PC.

But will you have total internet security protection like you said, almost certainly.

Dave