CAV

Hello…
Without having any official test results, I feel that the CAV has made leaps forward…
I am testing various antivirus solutins in my virtual machine and I have established that Comodo Antivirus has in many case been able to detect malware that other AV’s missed…and I’m talking Avira, Avast, Kaspersky, Nod32 etc…
I must say well done Comodo…

Thanks for sending feedback. :-TU We tend to be under that impression that the AV surely made progress over the last year.

How did you test this?

It’s a completely empirical and simple test…I just download malware from Malware Domain List and test them against various antivirus solutins…same malware for all programs…all updated in the same day…nothing fancy just a personal test…

By the way I’m not talking about sandbox or D+…just the AV component and its ability to detect malware…

Hi tolis14.I totally agree Cavs has come on leaps and bounds in terms of detection.The only company that i think has tested Cavs around a couple of months ago was Malware research Group and it returned just under 99% detection rate and i think that was version 3.14. I do understand Version 4 has been further improved av wise.

I can say that in personal tests, Cavs is doing extremely well and missing only ZERO HOUR stuff (caught by D+ in every case) and catching most if not all ZERO DAY malware on the malware domain list.6 months ago it missed nearly all the zero day stuff.Just a matter of time for version 4.1 and hopefully Cima being introduced, as i feel one area needing some improvement is False positives and hopefully that will be taken care of via the intro of Cima and continuing reduction of the data base via generic sigs.

One day Melih will feel the time is right to have Cavs tested via more acceptable (to Him personally and the general masses) organisations, and i feel some ■■■■ is going to get kicked as far as other vendors are concerned.

Just remember we are talking about one of the layers of security and we have The behavior blocker to come as well as d+ and for those that use it the sandbox.

Commenting on behavior blockers generally, judging by the latest results with Aviras pro active, languy99 did a test on youtube and showed how poor it was and how easily your os could become infected if you rely solely on signatures and behavior. It proves in my opnion the need for Hips and or Sandbox/ virtualisation.I just hope Comodo look at how innefective The Avira and also Avast Behavior blockers have been, and take heed and make sure to Test Properly before introducing it.

One reason for Cavs detecting stuff Avira ect isnt may be down to the auto update thing where cavs is updating half hourly and others once or twice daily, and in real time its simply ahead of the game adding sigs in comparison.

Regards
Dave1234.

I couldn’t agree more…As a matter of fact it took me by surprise when, only a couple of hours ago, both Avira free and Avast free missed 3 samples which were immediately picked up by Comodo…And they were malware samples for sure…not false positives…so in a way I was really impressed…I think, if not now, in a very little while we will be able to refer to CIS as one of the best security suites, not just one of the best free security products…

I think 2 capabilities should consider, they are Detection, and Prvention.

For the Detection Capability:
I think the preformance of A2 and Avira are still better than CIS (I test some samples that A2 and Avira have detected them, but CIS catch few)

For the Prevention Capability:
CIS provide a robust Firewall + D Plus framework, CIS is far better than others.