Cav Freezing my computer

Hello!

I will try to explain what is happening:

Every time I make a cold boot, comodo makes my machine to be freeze.
Nothing works, no start menu, no shortcut, nothing… I already tried to disable the heuristics and the scan all files, without success…

I have to do a forced boot “by hand”… When it happens, the next time it boots, it boots faster, comodo loads faster and no freeze happens, I can use my computer normally.

For example, last night, I had to turn off the computer by hand, because it freezed when I boot it…
Now, I turned on it without any problems… if I turn off (or restart) by windows, as it should be, comodo will freeze next time… But if I make it by hand, it will work next time… Why it happens?

Oh, another thing, the first time I open outlook express, it get some time to try to connect to the server to get emails, it seems that it is loading the email scanner module of comodo before it tries to connect? Is it normal? I usually get the outlook to connect to the server faster, no matter if its the first time or not…

Thanks for your time,

Elminster

Hello and welcome to the Comodo User Forums,

What is your OS? How much RAM do you have? Do you have any other Antivirus product installed? Before you installed Comodo Antivirus what Antivirus product did you use?

Please answer those questions as it will make it easier for me to help you.

Warm Regards,

Justin

(WCF32)

Hello Justin!

Thanks for the answer! I know you from the avast forum… Good to see you here too ;D

I forgot to tell you, sorry:

1- Windows XP SP2 fully update.

2- Amd XP processor with 2.200 Ghz

3- 384Mb ram

I had installed (one by each time) in my machine: Avg, Antivir and Avast… Never together… I like to test avs… =-P

After each uninstall, I always run ccleaner and dustbuster to remove temp files, old registry left behind, etc…

I hope this info helps… ;D

Oh, and responding you picture about world cup, here I go:

(WCF4)

Thanks for your time,

Elminster

Hello Elminster. By any chance are you using the suppend or standby mode of shutting down Windows? If you are, this could be the problem with some motherboards. If this is the case, try selecting Turn Off instead and see if this helps.

Hello!

I dont believe I am using this mode…

Actually I cant remember where is this option in windows, just to check to be sure? Where is it?

Thanks for your time,

(WCF4)

Elminster

Hello Elminster,

I think the cause of this may be your RAM amount.

Comodo Antivirus RAM: 128 MB
Windows XP: Minimum: 64 MB but is the least 128 Recommended

So with that you are already using 256 MB of RAM that only leaves 128 MB of RAM. Which is most likely being consumed by other processes such as a firewall and antispyware, and any other little programs you are using. So because of your lower RAM amount I would recommend you boot in safe mode and uninstall Comodo Antivirus (for now) then put back your previous antivirus. If you PM me your e-mail I will send you an e-mail when the new version of Comodo Antivirus is released.

Regards,

Justin

P.S. Now I remember you Elminster! Nice to see you again :smiley: See you on the avast! forums!!!

(WCF32)

Hello Justin!

I am happy that you remeber me ;D

Actually, this freezing happens randomly in the boot, after the manual reboot when it gets freeze, it always works fine.

For example, I am working with my computer now for about 5 hours, word, internet, IE, outlook, Comodo Firewall, Comodo AV, Visual basic, PowerPoint, were all programs that i have worked with… Some together, some alone, and I can say that since I turned on my computer no freezing happened (nor even in the boot, I didnt need to make a forced restart today)… Everything is running fast, no slowdowns… Everything is giving me a fast response (not so fast as AVG plus firewall heheh) but much faster then avast, norton, kaspersky, bit defender…

So I dont think that memory could be the cause of it, because if it is it, it should happen allthe time, and make my computer work slowly, wich doesnt happened… ;D

Thanks for your time,

Elminster

Hi,

Your right it if it was a memory problem it would be all the time. Maybe it is an incompatibilty issue with another program. Not sure, it is really strange.

Regards,

Justin

P.S. I sent you a PM.

Hello Justin!

I did a reply on your private mesage to your email! ;D

I will keep tracking what could cause it…

I am sad because melih never talked to me… He talks to everybody! I feel rejected! LOL

heheheh

Thanks for your time,

Elminster

Hi,

I don’t think Melih likes you.

Haha just kidding.

Regards,

Justin

Sorry Elminster, I missed it somehow :slight_smile:

Pls feel free to come and talk to me in the specific forum I created. It’s much easier for me to do that :slight_smile: Otherwise you are in good hand with our community and developers in the forums for any technical issues you need resolving :slight_smile:

(J)

cheers
Melih

Hello! I found the source of the problem… Melih!

I find out why, only after a forced reboot, Comodo would work fine in my machine!!! Yes I did!

I was thinking, thinking! And I remembered, that I am a windows “power user” lol, and being a power user, means that you must change a lot of settings to make your windows runs as faster as you can!

So I did remember that I created a script called qboot.bat . This script has the following command:

del c:\windows\prefetch\ntosboot-. /q

wich delete all the pre fetch files (that improve speed in slow computer, wich is not my case).

I created this file to speed up my boot time. The progress bar in my windows xp boot time runs half of the time when this script is active.

This script is set to run in the turn off event of the computer (you can do that using the gpedit.msc, in start menu, execute, type gpedit.msc)

There you will find windows configuration/ scripts… If you set the file to run at the trun off event, it will do that…

So, thats whats was happening…

When I make a forced reboot, the script is not executed in turn off event… So, next time, comodo dont freezes my computer…

When I dont make, the script is run and delete the files, making comodo freezes!

I removed the script from the turn off event, rebooted my machine several times and the problem is gone.

The question is, why my script that deletes only pre fetch files in turn off event,makes comodo freezes my computer in the next boot?
What the relation between theses facts?
Is there a way for you guys make comodo works in peace with my script? I would like to have my script running again to speed up my boot time ;D

Thanks for your time,

(WCF4)

Elminster

Hello melih!

As you asked, here is the link to download the file (very small one, less then 1 KB)

http://rapidshare.de/files/16492219/boot.bat.html

Just click in the free button, and you will be redirected to the download page…

Thanks for your time,

Elminster

Oh, just another info

Now, after that I removed the qbootfile, my computer is running much faster with comodo…

Maybe comodo uses some kind of fetch files?

The performace is not like AVG, but is good… I believe if you guys work a little more over the performance, you will be able to do an AV that is so lighter as AVG is…

Thanks for your time,

Elminster

Yes I hope this becomes a great antivirus, easy resource usage, unmatched virus detection!

I’m positive we will see this, but it will take time.
(B)

Well I made it my responsibility to deliver that!

Melih