CAv and Windows Security Centre

I have just installed Comodo Antivirus and according to the application window everything is working OK. I have downloaded the latest updates and they appear to have installed without problem.

However according to Windows Security Centre I have no firewall installed. This worries me as I now have no evidence that CAV is in fact working, and I don’t want to find out that it isn’t by picking up a virus.

Until today I used E-Trust Antivirus, which I uninstalled before loading CAV. With ETAV the Security centre always recognised the program. Have I done something wrong or is it just that WSC does not recognise CAV although the latter is, in fact, working fine?

Harwinian

Hi and welcome,

CAV doesn’t (yet) report its status to Windows Security Centre. Future versions should support this though.
Don’t worry you are protected.

You can turn the antivirus setting in Security Centre to I’ll monitor myself to stop the alerts if you wish.

Mike

Thanks

Harwinian

Is there a timescale for having the Anti-virus recognised by the Windows Security Centre ??

I feel that this is a big mistake as in this day and age people will see this error message and think that the software is going to be rubbish as it is not recognised.

Hi mobisat and welcome to the forums,

I half agree with your statement on people will think a software is rubbish if it is not recognised by Windows Security Centre. It depends on who is installing the AV software. If it is a experienced user or even an intermidiate one, the person will understand this situation. However, with newbies, they will conform to the idea that the AV is rubbish. You brought up a great point though. I am not using CAVS so I don’t know whether CAVS reports to Windows Security Centre or not.

Can someone tell me whether CAVS does that or not?

Yours truly,
DoomScythe

CAVS does not report to windows security centre (says that no anti-virus is installed). However, if you disable the “on access scanner”, a nice :wink: system tray icon appears telling you that it is disabled.

:slight_smile:

Sorry, just seen Mike6688’s message above.

Thanks Graham1,

If that is the case, then Comodo ought to have Windows Security Centre informed when a users is using CAVS. A simple line in the registry would do the trick. Hope Comodo will look into this.

Yours truly,
DoomScythe

You can check in Task Manager or download a really neat (and free) little utility called Process Explorer from sysinternals.com. If you see the process running you are covered. I have the same problem with CPF in the limited rights users accts on my XP-Home system and seeing the processes running is proof that everything is in order. Windows Security Center detection problems is maybe the least of the problems with M$ software.

Sounds like a M$ problem, not Comodo’s

Hopefully we will see this in version 2.0.

:slight_smile:

Hi,

I guess Comodo are working it like the firewall. Version 1 of CPF was not recognised by security center like CAVS, but from version 2 recognition was added. If this is the case, then we just have to wait until September.

Welcome to the forums,
Mike

Do we know if it will have it’s own Icon like CPF 2.3 will? Is there a set date for Beta release?

Eric

Hi,

Yes, it will eventully have its own icon, but I don’t know if this will be in the next release. The stable version will be released 18th september, with a beta two weeks before.

Mike

Yes, it will eventully have its own icon, but I don't know if this will be in the next release. The stable version will be released 18th september, with a beta two weeks before.

Mike

Please, surely (although of this I am not at all sure :-)) by the time of CAVS’s official release, let it too have it’s own icon to proudly display.

Here’s to hoping…

Laurence

Are these icons to be in place of the CLP or in addition? If in place of, then OK. If in addition to, I am not exactly thrilled about filling up the task bar with what are essentially duplicate icons.

You will have the choice to turn LaunchPad on or off. With launchpad on you will have only icon for launchpad. With it off you will have icons for the application(s). However, as all the products need updating to add the tray icon you still may need launchpad until all applications are updated.

Mike

Sounds great

:wink: