Can't open Outlook or IE7 after updating Comodo Firewall

Hi There -

After the latest round of Comodo Firewall updates, I am unable to open Outlook 2003 and IE 7. I don’t get any error messages or anything after double-clicking the respective icons, my cursor simply shows some activity for a moment and then stops. Nothing happens afterward. Neither Outlook or IE 7 will open.

I am using Vista Home Premium 64-bit (SP-1) and believe I have the appropriate version of CFP installed for my system. I am using Firewall pro only, not Internet security or its anti-virus app.

If I do a windows restore, using a point prior to Comodo’s updates, then my machine returns to normal and all is fine.

Can someone help me get past this point? I have no clue as to where to start. Many Thanks.

Hello, Dealden. Welcome to the Forums.
Have you tried to do a clean install of CIS?

No, I have not and would prefer not doing so. I don’t understand what that would gain. A clean install would not include the latest round of updates, so I would still be at square 1 after doing a reinstall… right?

Are there some settings somewhere or registry tweaks that could be done to offset this issue?

Forgive me, are you referring instead to AV signature updates?

To be candid, I don’t know what Comodo was updating. It doesn’t say. I simply received a ballooned message from the task bar stating updates were available. I clicked on it, Comodo updated itself and then that’s when the trouble began.

Again, I am not using CIS. I am running Firewall Pro only and nothing more. I use Bitdefender for my anti-everything else stuff :slight_smile:

Many thanks. . .

just so that I understand correctly, you are using CFP Pro 3.0?

It dosen’t really say anywhere exactly which version of CFP I am running, but in the About dialog box my product version is: 3.8.6951.477.

Does this help?

What do the log files show? it might hold a clue as to what is happening.

The log files show nothing of interest.

Is the issue I described herein unique to me or have others experienced the same with Vista 64-Bit. Is Comodo Firewall Pro truly Vista 64-bit tested and compatible?

Many thanks for your time. . .

Would you check to make sure IE7 is listed as a Browser, and Outlook is listed as an Email client?
Firewall/advanced/network Security Policy. Locate these two programs, click on them, select Edit/Use Predefined Policy and select the appropriate policy from the drop-down box.
Click ‘Apply’ to the screens on your way out.
Reply back, please.

John -

Both IE7 and Outlook are listed as “Custom”, and the radio button(s) for each are checked as “Use A Custom Policy”. After clicking on “Use Predefined Policy” the drop-down box reflected “Blocked Application”. These are the very same settings for my XP (sp3) 32-bit machine too and that one is fine (no issues).

At this point I have changed nothing with my Vista 64-bit machine. I re-ran update and allowed the machine to reboot upon request. Afterward, the same issues resurfaced with IE7 and Outlook (the cursor became animated but neither program opened nor was a reason given for failure.

I then changed the Network Security Policy pursuant to your instructions, showing IE7 as Web Browser and Outlook as Email Client. “Applied” my way out and then tried starting IE and Outlook - both failed as before.

After that, I restored the original settings for IE and Outlook and then did a system restore prior to Comodo’s update. Everything is back to normal with one exception: Comodo is not updated :slight_smile:

Any thoughts?

Many thanks for your help.

PS: I ran diagnostics after doing the restore and it reported finding NO problems with the installation. Again, this is a Vista sp1 (64-bit) machine. Comodo’s version is 3.8.65951.477 and I was trying to update with the latest offering (3.8.65951.477, dated 26 FEB 09

Also, one other thing. When the machine completed its reboot after finishing Comodo’s update, several icons were missing from my taskbar (next to clock). Comodo and Bitdefender did appear. All the other missing icons re-appeared after doing the RESTORE (pre Comodo update).

Correction: My Vista machine used to have the original CFP up till about a month ago, at which time I removed it and installed Comodo’s 64-bit CIS offering for Vista. I only installed the Firewall from CIS and nothing else. Just wanted to clear that up :slight_smile:

I am having a similar problem and I am also running Vista 64. I had Comodo firewall and antivirus and after an update, my machine would not run any executable. I had missing icons on the tray (next to the clock) as well, but I guess it is just a result of the machine not being able to run .exe.
The problems go away when I uninstall Comodo, but if I try to intall it back again, the problems come right back.
Before the update, though, some strange things were going on. Everytime I opened any program, Comodo would ask permission to execute a bunch of .dll.
Comodo did not catch any malware. I have installed Avast and run a thorough scan and nothing came up.
This is my HJT log file:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(Mod Edit: HiJackThis Log Is Attached)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hello,

I’m not so in to the firewall rules and tweaks, but will do my best to help you guys out

Can you guys delete all the rules, that you have for the programs ? Then, try running them again. When CIS then asks you what to to. Use the ‘webbrowser’ rule for IE and 'safe application" for outlook.
If it doesn’t give a pop-up. Go to the digital certificates. Delete Microsoft from there, delete the rules again and try if it gives a pop-up, normally it should. You WILL get a Comodo warning that there is an update !
You can fix the bug over here : CIS Trusted Vendor Problem | LazerWraith's Blog

Xan

Many thanks for your reply, eXPerience.

As you are not “so into Firewall Rules and Tweaks”, please understand I’m even less knowledgeable of the inner workings of Comodo and its rules. When you say delete all the rules you have for the programs, are you referring to just the two that are giving me fits (Outlook and IE7) or everything on my 'puter. If the latter, then does that mean I’ll once again be inundated with hundreds of Comodo pop-ups every time I move my mouse until Comodo re-learns all my apps again :slight_smile:

I don’t want to go through that long consuming process again of teaching Comodo on a hunch. Right now, everything works (as far as I know) on my Vista 64-bit machine since un-installing Comodo’s last update and restoring my machine. So, any changes I do to my machine now (such as deleting rules) will probably have no impact - yes?

By deleting the rules, are you specifically referring to Network Security Policy under the Advanced tab of the Firewall, or are there other rules in Defense+ or elsewhere too? Sorry for all the questions, but I don’t live and breath this stuff and need precise instructions or I could very well ■■■■■-up everything :slight_smile:

Also, should I reinstall the last round of updates before doing any of this stuff or wait ?

Aren’t you glad you responded ;D

Aren't you glad you responded ;D
Always happy to help :)
As you are not "so into Firewall Rules and Tweaks", please understand I'm even less knowledgeable of the inner workings of Comodo and its rules. When you say delete all the rules you have for the programs, are you referring to just the two that are giving me fits (Outlook and IE7) or everything on my 'puter. If the latter, then does that mean I'll once again be inundated with hundreds of Comodo pop-ups every time I move my mouse until Comodo re-learns all my apps again
I was refering to the rules of IE and outlook only, there is no need to delete the other ones (I think) ;)
So, any changes I do to my machine now (such as deleting rules) will probably have no impact - yes?
Only to outlook and IE, but that's what we want no ?
By deleting the rules, are you specifically referring to Network Security Policy under the Advanced tab of the Firewall, or are there other rules in Defense+ or elsewhere too? Sorry for all the questions, but I don't live and breath this stuff and need precise instructions or I could very well ■■■■■-up everything
[b][u]Firewall: [/u] [/b] Firewall - Advanced - Network Security Policy ---> delete all rules that have connection to IE and outlook [b][u]defense+:[/u][/b] defense+ - Advanced - computer security policy ---> delete all rules that have connection to IE and outlook
Also, should I reinstall the last round of updates before doing any of this stuff or wait ?
I assume that it doesn't matter what version you're running, but it's always highly sujested that you use the latest version :), specifically because it has bug fixes

let’s see what happens

Xan

Xan,

No Comodo pop-ups after deleting the rules in both Firewall and Defense+ for IE7. After deleting them, I restarted IE and it started right up with no comodo interaction. So, I then deleted the digital certificate (I think) in Defense+/Common Tab/My protected Registry Keys/ for the Microsoft entry.

I hope that was what you meant, as I could find nothing in Comodo referring to Digital Certificates. Afterward, I went back and removed the rules again for IE7.

Restarted again with NO interaction from Comodo??? I didn’t get an opportunity to specify anything.

Does this help you in your thinking?

Xan,

I didn’t add that unhappy face at the end of my last reply. I had placed a few question marks together in a row (? ? ? ?) after that sentence to show I was perplexed, but apparently 4 questions marks together = a mad face. Sorry!

Don’t get the wrong idea. I’m not mad and certainly appreciate your help.

Xan,

I didn’t add that unhappy face at the end of my last reply. I had placed a few question marks together in a row (? ? ? ?) after that sentence to show I was perplexed, but apparently 4 questions marks together = a mad face. Sorry!

Don’t get the wrong idea. I’m not mad and certainly appreciate your help.

:slight_smile:

My bad, I should’ve explained you how to do it :-.

Defense+/Common Tab/My protected Registry Keys/ for the Microsoft entry.
That wasn’t what I was referring to, you can repair them by looking at the pics here

Please go to :

Defense + - my trusted software vendors - then delete the microsoft entries

Then delete the IE and outlook rules again:
Firewall:
Firewall - Advanced - Network Security Policy —> delete all rules that have connection to IE and outlook
defense+:
defense+ - Advanced - computer security policy —> delete all rules that have connection to IE and outlook

Then open them up again and pray that it works :slight_smile:
gotto go to bed now, so I won’t be able to help you before tomorrow again

Xan

I misspoke, Xan. I did everything the way that you intended.

I never deleted anything from Defense+/Common Tab/My protected Registry Keys. In my haste changing 'puters I confused myself while making notes. In fact, I did remove Microsoft entries from:

[i][b]Defense +    -   my trusted software vendors   - then delete the Microsoft entries[/b][/i]

So, to confirm, I did do everything you wanted in the manner intended but Comodo never stepped in afterward upon re-starting IE. IE started right up as normal and I was able to navigate without any interaction from Comodo.

Hope this helps you with your thought process.