Can't install: error 1608

Hi all,

Downloaded AntiSpam, but when I run the installer, I get this:

1608: unable to create InstallDriver instance

Running XP TPC 2005. I have Comodo Firewall installed, but no other Comodo products. (Waiting for CAV to hit official release…)

Can anyone help?? ???

“Error 1608” is an InstallShield error. Macrovision (InstallShield’s distributor) don’t really have a concrete cause for this error, but there are extensive notes on fixing it in their Knowledge Base.

Have a look at

for furher info.

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Thanks Ewen,

I did later find the info on the Installshield consumer site. I have done all of the suggested tweaks and fixes, including the registry edits. I’ve updated my Installshield. But I still get the 1608 error when installing Comodo Antispam.

I’ve never gotten this error before, and I’m able to install other software that uses Installshield.

According to the Installshield site, the error has something to do with the specific version of Installshield used to create the installer…? They also say the error is often system-specific, unique to the user’s machine. These seem contradictory, but the end result is that I can’t install Antispam.

Any other suggestions? :-[

If the developers can’t give a definitive answer …

All I did was to try each of the three possible solutions offered on the Macrovision site. From memory, I ended up having to completely uninstall ALL versions of Installshield, and then install version 9. I tried installing v10 on its own and v8 on its own, but the only one that worked was v9 on its own.

hth
ewen :slight_smile:

Hi again Ewen,

Sorry to bother you with this – but how did you uninstall InstallShield? I can’t find instructions anywhere, and it doesn’t show up in Add/Remove Programs.

In my Installshield “Driver” folder, I have folders for 7,8,9,10, and 11.

Comodo staff – any suggestions? I’m clearly in a very small minority with this Installshield error, but Comodo Antispam is the ONLY software that produces it. I would really love to get this figured out!

Thanks very much!

And I get a 1607: Unable to install InstallShield scripting runtime!

What do we do here???

G’day again,

AllI did was follow ALL of the instructions on the MacroVision support site. Just doing one or the other didn’t fix the issue. I had to remove all installshield related folders, clear all temp files, manually prune installshield, isshield and idriver references from the registry and then reinstall. Then it was OK.

These are the worst types of errors to fix, when the developers (macrovision) don’t know why it happens! Thank God Comodo are dropping installshield and have developed theirown installer for future releases!

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

P.S. The manual removal also fixes the 1607 errors.

cheers,
e