can't download virus database using CIS or any browser

Aloha! I’ve often read in the COMODO forums but this is my first post.

I’ve been using Comodo happily for some time. I recently started getting alerts that my virus signature database was not up-to-date. I think it last updated on August 31, 2011. I get the “download stuck at 5%” problem when I initiate an update.

I used this link to try to download the new database manually:

http://download.Comodo.com/av/updates55/sigs/bases/bases.cav.z

In Firefox I get the error “The connection was reset.” I thought it might be an Adblock Plus causing the problem, but disabling it didn’t help. I also tried IE and Chrome. Neither could successfully download it either. I can download the CIS installer from Comodo.com and anything from other sites. It seems to be only Comodo.com that I’m having trouble downloading from.

I re-downloaded the CIS installer and re-installed, but I did not remove the old installation. I was surprised that it didn’t retain my old setup but started with a fresh set of rules.

I read that adblockers could mess with your hosts file, causing similar problems. I checked my hosts file and there’s nothing but comments in it.

I’m running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
Version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

COMODO Internet Security PREMIUM
Product Version: 5.5.195786.1383
Virus Signature Database Version: 1

I previously had AVG and ZoneAlarm running on this computer but I traded them in for Comodo. I uninstalled AVG completely but still find bits and pieces lying about. It hasn’t been a problem.

I have Adblock Plus, NoScript and CS Lite installed on Firefox. I tried downloading with all extensions disabled but that didn’t help. The other browsers are pretty clean.

I’m running Dropbox, Mozy, and I have a cat and a dog.

Let me know if there’s anything else I can add that might help with a diagnosis.

Much obliged!

Dave

Currently there is a lot of work going on with the Comodo servers behind the scenes that can cause problems with updating the av database (and likely also other downloads from the various Comodo web pages).

Comodo staff is looking for people who are suffering from problems with updating the AV database and are willing to do some very simple testing.

The instruction are in this post in the Is there a problem with the Antivirus part of Internet Security updating topic.

Please report your findings there. That will very much help Comodo and eventually yourself.