Can't connect to localhost

Since installing CAV version 1.1 I can’t connect to localhost: Apac he server doesn’t work and my Tor server doesn’t work either.
Is there something to do about this?
(I thought I had read something about this subject somewhere else on the forum, but I can’t find it anymore).

Thanks,
Mrahk.

Hi Mrahk

I can’t imagine why CAVS would cause you to loose connection to localhost. This sort of thing isn’t normally caused by an AntiVirus app. What’s changed on your system prior to loosing connection to localhost?

You can always go to Comodo Support, register on their system & raise a ticket on this problem if you want.

My Tor server used to be always active so far. The very moment that I finished the install of CAV my Tor server stopped working. It might be a coincidence, but I don’t think so.

this is happening to me aswell!

and it only started happening when i installed CAV… when i googled it, it seems to be the scanner thats crashing apache.

[error] (OS 10038An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket. : Child 1516: Encountered too many errors accepting client connections. Possible causes: dynamic address renewal, or incompatible VPN or firewall software. Try using the Win32DisableAcceptEx directive.

thats what is ritten 10000 times in the Apache error log. I googled it and i got this:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/en/mod/mpm_winnt.html

it tells you how to get around the problem but i have know idea what i have to put into the conf file to make it work

Well it’s not that difficult:

• Make sure that Apache is not running.
  • Go to the directory where you’ve installed Apache.
  • Go to the subdirectory called “conf”.
  • Find the file called “httpd.conf”.
  • On the first line of the file type this:

Win32DisableAcceptEx

Don’t put a hash (#) in front of the line.
Now restart Apache and it should be working.

(B.T.W.: I’ve de-installed CAV for testing purposes and now Apache and Tor also is working properly, so I know for sure the problems are caused by CAV somehow.)

Hi everyone

Just to add another voice to this, I also had an issue with TOR stopping when I installed Comodo Antivirus Beta 1.1. Uninstall of the software fixed TOR. AM now using AVG freeware, but wanted to try out Comodo :frowning:

Regards,
Hamish

Being how Tor isn’t exactly on every magazine cover yet, it’s not going to work with many securities and be detected as a false positive and probably continue to be shut down or blocked etc…It’s not just Comodo that has done this but many others as well. Tor developers will tell you to contact the vendor to have this changed. (hint) Also users of Tor don’t always have everything set right, to be honest, Tor is not structured in many ways and the developers are asking for help to fix issues\bugs, they can’t keep up. Tor exploded very quickly , however it’s leaving some stability behind in it’s wake.
No doubt it’s becoming popular and considering, it is fairly stable, but to blame any one anti-virus is incorrect.

The Beef I have with Tor:
While I can see them asking people to contact the vendors, or in their words, “find a better one?” I see it as Tor’s responibility just as much to make sure it works and not expect other companies to run to Tor’s aid . How thoughtful though to assume all companies will simply go to work to make sure Tor works on every machine or they are not a “better” vendor.

I am not slamming Tor but even a Tor user must admit that’s a bit egotistical.

Paul

A bit more info for any interested parties.
I have been running apache and mysql (xampp-win32-1.5.5-installer.exe) for development (XP pro SP1a) for some months with no problems.
After installing CAVS_Setup_Beta2.0.12.47.exe, apache was using > 90% resources.
After much messing about I now have XP Pro SP2, xampp-win32-1.6.1-installer.exe and reinstalled antivir.
I admire Comodos’ initiative to make their suite of programs freely available and would like to recommend it. While I have kept the firewall, the antivirus is out because of the apache problem. The antivirus isn’t an ‘out of the box’ solution.
Luckily Comodo products, do uninstall cleanly.
To make your suite a mass market solution and for Comodo to become a household name, this problem must be addressed before coming out of beta.

Hi andraeoid, welcome to the forums & thanks for the feedback.

If its OK with you, I’d like to split your post off as separate topic & move it into the CAVS Beta Corner. This topic is a couple of months old & in FAQ section, I’m concerned that the developer might not see your feedback.

Thanks…