Cannot Map Network Drive Over VPN With Firewall Installed

Basic Problem: I need to connect to a university network remotely through a VPN connection and then be able to map network drives, but Comodo Firewall (Free) keeps that from happening. I can successfully connect via VPN, but the folders will not map.

Q. What relevant software do you use?
A.
• Windows 8.1 x64
• Comodo Firewall 6.3.302093.2976
• Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client 3.1.05152

Q. How do you know Comodo Firewall is the problem?
A. I ran some tests on a partition used for testing. When I uninstall Comodo Firewall, the folders map as they should. When I reinstall the firewall, it stops working. I tried deleting all the application rules and changing the global rules to allow all tcp/udp in and out from any to any. I even tried turning off the firewall completely (Firewall > Disabled (15 mins)). The folders simply refuse to map while Comodo Firewall is installed. The funny thing is I can ping the IP address listed in the VPN client without any issues.

Q. What kind of error messages are you seeing?
A. Network Error: Windows cannot access \[server name][folder name], Error code: 0x80070035 - The network path was not found.

I’ve searched around the internet but can’t find any problem or solution that really fits my situation. Any ideas?

Does the system containing the mapped drive have Comodo firewall installed? If so, when attempting to connect to the mapped drive via your VPN, does the firewall log show blocked activity during that time frame?

Also, I wonder if changing the tcp/udp rule to (IP) > (Source - MAC specific address) > (Destination - MAC specific address) would resolve issue?

I don’t have access to the system / server that contains the mapped drive, but I would venture a strong guess that it doesn’t have Comodo Firewall installed (probably some kind of hardware firewall). The event logs in Comodo Firewall on my computer don’t show any entries during the time frame when I’m trying to connect (and the relevant IP range doesn’t match).

I’m not sure what to do about MAC addresses. While I don’t have access to the remote machine, I can see MAC addresses for the following:

Ethernet adapter Ethernet - Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2 - Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client V

Is that what I’m supposed to be looking at? Even when I use this rule it fails to connect.

I see. I was assuming you had access to both sides (e.g. attempting to access a folder on a pc in your dorm from the other side of town).

I take it those belong to the same machine. I was alluding to making a specific rule if you had machine mac (a) and machine mac (b).

Oh no, sorry. I’m living off campus in apartments and the only computer I have access to is the desktop computer in my apartment. I’m trying to connect to a server on campus so I can work remotely in Visual Studio and SQL Server (obtained legally through dreamspark :P) so I don’t have to travel to campus and use their slow-as-fudge computers. I am completely outside their network and hence have to poke through their firewall with the VPN connection mechanism they provide.

My concern comes from the fact that on a test partition I have Comodo Firewall installed and even when it’s set to off it still somehow blocks folders from mapping. It sounds kind of absurd, but this is the reality: (Comodo Firewall installed and off → Remote drive will not map), (Comodo Firewall not installed → Remote drive will map without problems).

Hey,

i’ve got nearly the same problem: When connecting to the campus network, AnyConnect tells me, that he’s connected, but my internet connection gets lost. When turning it off, the internet connection is up again.

I’ve got the same versions (AnyConnect, Comodo and Windows 8.1 x64) as you. I also tried turning COMODO off - without success.

But I solved it today by turning off the “COMODO Internet Secutity Firewall Driver” for the Cisco VPN Adapter in the network adapter settings. Is there anyone who can tell, why this helps? I’m don’t feel comfortable with turning my firewall driver off. But I already tried putting all the AnyConnect executables in the COMODO firewall exception menu. I think it has anything to do with recognizing the network itself.

On my little netbook (Windows 7 x86 + older COMODO 5.12.256249.2599) it’s working without deactivating the COMODO Firewall driver.

Probably it helps also with your problem - for a temporary solution. Maybe someone can tell us more on this with that hint.

Best regards,
CiBa

I’d wondered if unbinding the firewall driver would work for axonmax.
axonmax: How are your Defense+ settings? I’ve never really delved into that, but I could imagine that or the auto-sandbox piece trying to protect fileshares.

CiBa: You said:

i've got nearly the same problem: When connecting to the campus network, AnyConnect tells me, that he's connected, but my internet connection gets lost. When turning it off, the internet connection is up again.

AnyConnect (the Cisco VPN client) tells you who’s connected? Just that it’s successfully connected to the VPN?

And while connected to the VPN with Comodo running, you can do all the network functions you expect to the computers on the other side of the VPN, but no others? (Especially not to others on the general internet?) Yet, turning off Comodo fixes this?
My first thought is that that this would have to do with routes and “split routing”, but if turning off Comodo makes internet access work again, then it’s probably nothing to do with routing.

That solved the problem - thank you! I’m not sure why I didn’t think to try that. I know it’s only a temporary solution but it’s great to have it working for now with Comodo Firewall installed.

It worked for me as well. For the record, I do have Defense+ set to off (in other words, “Enable HIPS” is unchecked).

The same problems with CIS v7. I too opened a bug:
https://forums.comodo.com/format-verified-issue-reports-cis/cisco-anyconnect-vpn-does-not-allow-vpn-traffic-v7m940-t102949.0.html