cannot copy comodo files on another volume

I used ZoneAlarm many years. I paid for it originally then fell back to the free version. I quit when they ceased being compatible with competitor software. When they started selling antivirus, the firewall would no longer work with the antivirus I had. Comodo works OK. Unfortunately there is a problem copying Comodo files. I have three systems in my house. On each I have XP installed twice: the main install, and a second for doing maintenance and backup. If you have a good XP key you can do that. OEM keys don’t always work. When I want to do a backup I boot to the other install, reset all file attributes on the C: drive, copy all files, delete various ■■■■, then defrag. I installed Comodo on the backup systems, too. What I found out is I cannot copy Comodo files, even if on another disk which is not the system disk. For instance on one backup system the system disk is E:. I can understand Comodo not allowing me to write Comodo files on the system disk E:, but why C:? They are just bulk files and it shouldn’t make any difference. Comodo must hook into Windows file APIs and examine file names being opened and closed. I did uncheck the box that said Comodo should protect it’s own files and registry keys. What happened? It only allowed the backup program to copy some of the files. An error screen was generated saying some files would not copy. I was however able to open source and destination folders with explorer and copy that way. Comodo is a good piece of software, but this is really a pain, and Comodo is not workable for me. I am willing to continue using it awhile if Comodo Incorporated is willing to address the issue, but otherwise I will have to find other software. I must necessarily do a blind copy of all files on a volume, and Comodo cannot prevent me from copying Comodo files on that volume. I could just uninstall Comodo on the backup systems, but I often surf the web using the backup system while the main system is being backed up. Thanks

I was able to backup my laptop drive with Comodo active. The laptop has Comodo files, too. I still have to disable file and registry protection in Comodo. I have a USB adapter. I unplug the laptop hard drive from the laptop and plug into the USB adapter on my desktop. We need to get the file/registry protection fixed. Possibly a field can be added to list programs, and their folder, that are allowed to write Comodo files. At the time added, Comodo can do a checksum calculation on each file and save that info. When an attempt is made to write a Comodo file (though on another volume), the checksum of the program doing the write can be verified.

I don’t like to think Comodo is actually testing file names since that slows system performance. I may just leave that option unchecked since it’s not that much of a risk.

Why not add Comodo files to Windows File Protection and let Windows take care of it? That way, only active Comodo files on the active system volume would be affected.

Someone at Comodo emailed me wanting more info on this issue. I replied. Was the email received? Will this issue be addressed in the next version of the firewall? Thanks

I’m still having this problem. Haven’t heard anything on the issue. The machine I have connected to my HDTV boots to drive C: for normal use, and drive E: for backup. I booted to drive E: so I could do a backup of drive C:. My software printed out the following errors:

cannot open to write file=G:\tv\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\inspect.sys
cannot open to write file=G:\tv\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\cmdmon.sys
verification failed file=C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\inspect.sys
verification failed file=C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\cmdmon.sys
verification failed file=C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\cmdagent.exe
verification failed file=C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\cpf.exe
verification failed file=C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\cpfres.dll
verification failed file=C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\cpfupdat.exe
verification failed file=C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\crashrep.exe
verification failed file=C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\data.edb
verification failed file=C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\dbghelp.dll
verification failed file=C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\fwconfig.exe
verification failed file=C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\CComp.dll
verification failed file=C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\cpfsubmit.exe
verification failed file=C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\Quar.dll

The G: drive is an external hard disk connected via USB. If drive E: is the system disk, there should be no file checking done on either drive C: or drive G:. Obviously the Comodo firewall is testing file names as they are opened, since no hooks or locks would be placed on these files if not on the system volume. Checking file names in this manner slows processing. Files on volumes other than the system volume, whether or not they coincidentally have the same name as Comodo program files, should make no difference. Comodo should only be concerned with its own active program files on the current system volume.