Cannot block application

Hi.

I have Comodo Firewall Pro, and cannot block an application from accessing the internet.

I thought that doing this would be simple, but it doesn’t seem to be the case.

I added a new blocked application, and specified that all connections be blocked and logged, but the application continues to access the internet.

My firewall security level is set to Custom Policy Mode, and I cannot understand why the application is still able to acess the internet.

Which app?
I blocked IE6 yesterday and that has worked (also blocked svchost, system and winex from getting out, but they’re harder to check).

You need to block it in firewall and D+. What are you trying to block and why?

What application, as others have asked? And are you using a proxy antivirus like Avast! or a browser proxy that does the actual access?

Hi. How do I block the application in D+ ? I see settings for many things, but nothing related to internet access?

The application is not a commercial product, it is a custom developed MFC application that uses standard WinInet and MFC classes to access the internet.

The reason why I want to block this application is not relevant.

Thanks, This is not a commercial application, as I mentioned in the other reply. I’m not sure how relevant this question is anyway because it should not be happening in any case, regardless of what the application is, or how it is accessing the internet.

I have no AV installed at all, and no proxies are being used.

I can see the application opening connections in TCPView, so I know its happening.

I’m perplexed at why it should be so difficult to do this, because that’s the only reason I purchased COMODO Pro :frowning:

Thanks for the help.

Comodo is free unless you got the warranty. You should have an av no matter what. If you go to D+\advanced\Computer Security Policy and find what you want to block you can highlight lick and click on access rights. You should also be able to add a custom rule to block it under the firewall also.

One of us is confused. There is no other reply other than your initial post. The question still stands - what application is it? Whether it is a commercial app or not is relevant, but we need to know what it is to have half a chance at figuring out the problem.

I'm not sure how relevant this question is anyway because it should not be happening in any case, regardless of what the application is, or how it is accessing the internet.

If you are using a proxy of any sort, then the app is connecting to the proxy and the proxy is connecting to the internet. You can block the app for outbound access, but if access is going through the proxy then the block is ineffective.

That’s how it’s relevant. :wink:

I can see the application opening connections in TCPView, so I know its happening.

Again - what app?

I'm perplexed at why it should be so difficult to do this, because that's the only reason I purchased COMODO Pro :(

Purchased?? I hope your talking only about the AV-Smart warranty (which has no relevance to blocking applications), otherwise you’ve been had. CFP is FREE!

Ewen :slight_smile:

Sorry, Yes there is another reply.

I wrote the application myself, what would you likie me to tell you about it?

I’ve already mentioned, that it uses MFC HTTP classes to communicate with a website.

As I mentioned, I wrote the app myself and no, it is not using any proxy.

Thanks, I’ve already been there and as I mentioned before, I do not see anything related to internet access in D+.

I added the executable for the app, and then clicked on Access Rights. There is nothing in the Process Access Rights list related to Internet access.

I thought I paid for it, guess I was mistaken.

Knowing what I know now, I doubt that I would pay for it, because its already clear to me that something that shoudl be fairly simple and straightfoward, is nothing of the sort.

Internet access

Firewall/Advanced/Network Security Policy

Dennis

Try to block port 80 in global rules…see is it still have access… then reply here

If you go into “Firewall” > “Common Tasks” > “View Active Connections” is this application showing

you could also download the config reporting script (go here and find the download link or here to download directly) run it with defaults and make sure you application is running when you run it.

If you post unmodifed results they may include personally identifiable Info suach as Username Machine name and IP Address
If you may want to hide you IP address do a replace ie 192.168.0.129 > X.X.X.X
also delete your user name and computer name
both of which will be almost at the top of the results
then post the results back here

PRIVACY WARNING

While this script does not make any changes to your computer, it does report a great deal of information about your computer and the security settings in use. Please review the output of this script (yes, there is a lot, and it is boring for the most part) for any information that you don’t want to have on a public archive if you do post the script results to the Comodo forums.

ADDITIONAL WARNING

If in the process of reading thru all that boring output, you decide to “try and fix” your problem by tweaking a registry setting that is listed in the output, and then your machine suddenly STOPS, or starts acting really strange, then you’re pretty much on your own. DO NOT consider the output from this script as a guide to knobs to twist, and switches to flip. Details have to be taken in context, and this script output does not provide sufficient context.