Cannot activate Proactive Security configuration on Vista

Hi, I have installed COMODO Internet Security Premium 8.1.0.4426 on Windows 7 following Chiron advice in High quality HDMI cables in comparison - Gizmo's Best to change in configuration from Internet Security - Active to Proactive Security - Active without a hitch. But, when installing on Windows Vista, following the same advice, it was not possible to change to Proactive Security - Active and the firewall “At Risk” popped-out. Running routine to automatically fix the problem did not fix it. I would be grateful for advice of how to fix it.

Did you reboot after you changed to Proactive?

As always make sure there are no leftovers of security programs you had installed in the past. A possible left over can cause all sort of “strange effects”. Please run clean up tools for all security programs you had in the past. A list can be found here at the Eset website: ESET Knowledgebase .

Does that make a difference?

Yes, I did. Before installation COMODO Internet Security Premium I had uninstalled Symantec Internet Security on both Windows 7 and Vista with Revo Uninstaller at the Advanced Mode that performs a deep and thorough scan to find leftover information in Registry and on the hard drive. Running AV Remover had not found any antivirus applications or their incomplete installations. As I said in my post, installation on Windows 7 was without a hitch. Unfortunately, none of my friends has Vista on their PCs, so I cannot replicate the installation.

Can you let diagnostic create a report and attach it to your next post? You may need to zip it for the forum software to be able to upload it.

I split and moved your post to the appropriate help board.

I attach the last CisReport.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Can you check the properties of the network adapter and see if the Comodo Internet Security Firewall driver is installed?

Comodo Internet Security Firewall driver is not installed. COMODO Firewall turned on.

You need to check with the Properties of your network adapter to see if the firewall driver is installed.

See attached image.

CIS Firewall driver is not installed.

There are two ways. One is to reinstall CIS.

The other one is install the firewall driver from the Properties screen. I attached a screenshot that shows the process. Read it clockwise. When at Select Network Protocol use the Have Disk option (indicated in red).

I have already reinstalled CIS twice. As you suggested, I will try to install the firewall driver from the Properties screen, but in your post you did not attach the screenshot that shows the process.

it’s attached now.

The Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch is not included in Vista.

You need to choose the Have Disk option. After you chose Have Disk you can follow the images again and install the Inspect firewall driver.

My eight years old Dell came with preinstalled Vista and recovery on drive D:, but without installation disk.

After choosing Have Disk you will be presented with the Install From Disk dialogue box. In the Install From Disk dialogue box choose Browse. Then an explorer dialogue box will open in which you navigate to the CIS installation folder and choose inspect.inf.

There are two ways. One is to reinstall CIS.

The other one is install the firewall driver from the Properties screen. I attached a screenshot that shows the process. Read it clockwise. When at Select Network Protocol use the Have Disk option (indicated in red).

Following your first advice, after uninstalling with Revo Uninstaller and installing the program for the third time, there is message: “COMODO Security Agent could not be started. Would you like to run the diagnostic tool to fix this error”. Clicking Yes there is another message “Diagnostics have found some errors and could not fix them automatically”, exactly the same as at the first installation. The report attached.

Reading back the topic I see there are no left overs of previously installed security programs. We may be looking at a bug here.

There is one last step required for me to call it a bug. Could you uninstall following Most Effective Way to Reinstall CIS to Avoid/Fix Problems also using the this clean up tool in Safe Mode. We then know for sure CIS was installed properly.

If the problem appears again all I can do is call it a bug and kindly ask to file bug report. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Following your and Chiron’s advices I uninstalled and reinstalled CIS, but with the same outcome: the Firewall driver was not loaded. After uninstalling CIS, running CIS Removal Tool 214, the following files cmdagent.exe, cis.exe, and CisTray.exe were not found. After installation of CIS on both Vista and Windows 7 (where Firewall is OK), cis.exe and CisTray.exe are running, see attachment.

In COMODO Internet Security directory there are both cmdagent.exe and cmdinstall.exe, see attachment.

I am disabling COMODO Firewall and enabling Windows Firewall until the bug is fixed.