Cannot Access Drives

I dont really know if I can even seek help about this here, but I guess Ill try, I trust the people here. I transfered all of my user files last night to a brand new account on Vista home premium, sp2. I followed MS Knowledge base’s instructions on doing so, then I deleted the old account. It was all fine, or so I thought, until tonight. I tried to access my external hardrive and it says “E:\ is not accessible. Access is denied” It says this on ALL usb ports, and even my optical drive. The only drive I can access is the C drive and the Recovery Drive. I am the only use of this computer, I have the only admin account. Besides the build in one. System restore does not work, and returns a message something along the lines of “Cannot run in offline mode” etc. I dont have the exact message as right now I am running a virus check and am on my other laptop. EVERYTHING else on the computer runs fine. I simply cannot access my drives, at all. not even the Factory Restore will work. I dont know what went wrong, I dont know how to fix it. I have Comodo CIS Free Version. I used Comodo Backup a night ago and saved the backup to my external. I can access nothing except what is on my C drive. can someone please help?

"E:\ is not accessible. Access is denied"
It could be a permission issue (Hopefully not a corruption issue, it could be many things)

Right-click the file/folder you are trying to access, go to Properties.
Go to Security > Advanced > Owner and highlight the user account on your machine that you would like to take ownership of these files/folders.
Be sure to check the box below, “Replace owner on subcontainers and folders” so all files within the folder will inherit the changes (only if you are changing the permissions on a folder).
At the message, “You do not have permission to read the contents of directory [folder name]. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control? All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes”, click on Yes.
(Windows Vista users will need to press the Edit button to change settings.
See picture below

=========================================
If that doesn’t work, (several places recommend this, below. It seems to work for quite a bit of people)

When your done with it, just uninstall it

[attachment deleted by admin]

Just to be clear, my issues are now gone. The system was reinstalled (not by my choice) but the issues are now gone. My Daughters answer to all computer related problems is to reinstall the OS lol. I try to fix the issue before she finds the cd :stuck_out_tongue: I appreciate all of your help.

I appreciate your reply. I have been to a handful of forums, and honestly, I do not trust anyone all that much save for the Comodo Team. I rebooted into safe mode, and went into the build-in admin account. Once here, I thought, surely I would be able to make changes… but it was not so. Not even here could I make changes. Any idea why this might have happened? I do not want this to happen again. My daughter was a good child and saved all of her things externally, so a system reinstall was nothing but time consuming. But I want to prevent this from happening again, does anyone have any ideas why this may have happened?

I want to prevent this from happening again,
Find out what external hard-drive you have and model, (example Seagate model 123456) Look at the company site for Manuel and have the drivers for it if any are up-to-date (That's just to make sure you don't miss any steps that you may have forgotten the first time around )

good luck :slight_smile: