Cannot access certain sites - at the end of my tether!

Can anyone advise? I recently had my pc rebuilt and the person installed Microsoft XP home edition on it. At the shop all seemed well. Then i took it home to my router and modem, and tried to reconnect to the internet. With the router and modem plugged in all lights flash but there is NO pc access ot the internet. Removing the router from the set up and trying all again - the pc does have a conneciton to the internet but certian normal sites such as yahoo mail, interflora, ocado shopping, my bank online banking, facebook - seem to be unavailable. Just get a page sayiing this site is unavailable the site may be down, or the address is wrong.

The pc repair person KF Computers is blaming my broadband provider Virgin media and the broadband provider is blaming his installation since they can do a ping test to the sites form the cmd window and it returns successfully.

Can ANYONE advise or has anyonehad a similar experience as I am at a loss. Thank you, Lorna.

The pc repair person KF Computers is blaming my broadband provider Virgin media and the broadband provider is blaming his installation
I have installed and repaired alot of computers, It sounds like the shop can't figure out the problem, so there transferring the blame to someone else (There's a very small chance that it's could be your broadband provider, but highly unlikely. Especially if it's still won't connect you to yahoo.com after a few days)

Why was your computer rebuilt (was there a hardware that had to be replaced), how old is it?

the pc does have a conneciton to the internet but certian normal sites such as yahoo mail, interflora, ocado shopping, my bank online banking, facebook - seem to be unavailable
Is there any sites that you can go to??? If not, then you have NO internet connection

If I’m going to bet on something, either the router was configured for that computer then things got changed or it’s not configured right

Try this (I don’t know about the home version, but the pro version)
PLEASE REMEMBER IT CAN BE MANY THINGS (The key thing is to narrow it down), It’s always harder to diagnose the problem online then in person. We can ONLY base it on whatever you tell us

1. try to connect to a site (like yahoo.com) when that fails go to step 2
  2. click on the network connections icon
  3. Right click on Local Area Connections (If there is one that has a red “x” on it ignore it and right click on the other one
  4. click on “repair” (If repair fails plaese post here the reason it failed) <–it give you a reason
  5. Post here if it works or not

Another possibility is you have a ■■■■■■ dns server (Unlikely, but for the sake narrowing the problem)
Besides it’ll be faster then your ISP’s DNS anyways and more secure DNS

Enable Comodo Secure DNS: Windows XP Step-by-Step
  1. Select Control Panel from the Start menu.
  2. Click Network Connections from the Control Panel choices.
  3. Right click on your connection from the Network Connections window and click Properties. Note: If you have multiple Network Connections, you should repeats steps 3 through 5 for each connection.
  4. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties.
  5. Use the following DNS server addresses and type in 156.154.70.22 in the Preferred DNS server and 156.154.71.22 in the Alternate DNS server fields.

Let us know if it works or fails, for you (I’m more then will to help get your internet back or at the very least narrow down some of the possibilities for you :slight_smile:

I hoping this works for you

What jay2007tech said is correct, it can be many things, needs to be narrowed down.
Not wishing to interfere with his diagnosis I am only going to add my two cents worth to this. Before you reconnect your router, make sure you have perfect connection to the Internet (this eliminates the router in the current issue). Maybe the DNS servers need refreshing or updating in your system? No sense connecting your router until you can confirm normal Internet operation/access.

Not wishing to interfere with his diagnosis
Your more then welcome to at anytime or feel free to jump in too :■■■■

Also let us know if you are using a cable of ADSL connection.

Thanks so much for replies. Here is what happened. I have an old pc that was rebuilt in 2006. It has worked fine. I have an additional RAID F drive installed. It used to bew part of a mirrored system but the second raid drive went in 2008. Recently the hard drive C was making a clunking sound and not booting up. I took it to the pc repair shop, he backed up C drive and restored it. The F drive was fine. The whole thing booted up smoothly and efficiently all good. The repair man was able to connect to the internet from his shop. The differences in installaiton i am aware of were: He installed xp home edition when i used to have xp pro. He installed his own version of norton when i had purchased a different version. he seemed to have used a configuraiton utility tool for something. When i took it home I followed the netgear wireless router instructions to reset the modem, the router and pc connecitons. I followed it several times very strictly. The router seemed to have stopped workinhg althoguh all luhts flahsing correctly on modem AND router. I disconnected the router and connected directly to the modem. I was able to connect ot some sites on theinternet but others - seemingly random ones. cannot connect ot sainsbury’s website but canconnect to ocado.com. can connect to yahoo homepage but not to mail link. cannot logon to online banking, though i get ot homepage. Cannot get to interflora.co.uk… very strange. I contacted the Broaband provider who did ping tests and said they were sending signal fine

Do the Firewall logs give a clue here? Can you post a screenshot of them? They are under Firewall → Advanced → Common Tasks -->View Firewall Events.

What is the message your browser gives you when you can’t connect to a website?

Can you try the following. Each time you meet a connection problem run the ping command from the command prompt. Ping to yahoo.com or ping.symantec.com for example.

Did you check to ensure the repair tech didn’t change the status of Windows firewall (turn it on) or add/configure another firewall?
Running multiple firewalls can have strange results.

I have an old pc that was rebuilt in 2006. It has worked fine. I have an additional RAID F drive installed. It used to bew part of a mirrored system but the second raid drive went in 2008. Recently the hard drive C was making a clunking sound and not booting up. I took it to the pc repair shop, he backed up C drive and restored it. The F drive was fine.
Hopefully the guy installed the new java and not the old one from a few years ago(That could explain why it'll let you in some sites and not others.) http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp
He installed xp home edition when i used to have xp pro
I hope there's no confict between the 2 versions (1 of the version is the manufactures backup, propably on a seperate drive. Just guessing)

Are you running more then 1 firewall at a time (like comodo and windows firewall). That can create some wierd things too!!!

I am having a similiar problem, being able to connect to some sites but not others with my desktop but no problem with my laptop. Comodo will not update since I installed it. Tells me the internet is not available, while at the same time I have another window open to the comodo site.

Message: Failed to update the virus signature data base. Please check your internet connection and try again later. Before installing I ran pc tools registry mechanic, and ccleaner, then defragged the drive and updated windows xp, java, etc. Also removed programs I wasn’t using before all of the above.

Clicking on links inside of web pages I am getting the message that it can not connect to the internet, when I run the trouble shooter, it tells me there are no problems with the internet connection. It is a cable connection with a linksys router. Have tried every thing I can think of.

After typing in the google search engine, it a known problem.

A possible cause could be a program called peer guardian (it’s not peer block) program <— if you have it, disable it

I not sure why it'll let you go to some sites and not others Anyway you can try these at your own risk
====================================
You can try flushhing out the DNS Cache

Go to “start” ----> run

Type ipconfig /flushdns

maybe that’ll solve the problem

Go to the Device Manager (start, run, "devmgmt.msc").

Locate your network card, right click, and choose to remove/uninstall.

Then click on the Computer name on the top of the tree, and then the icon to detect new/changed hardware

What I expect will happen is that your drivers will be automatically detected – but if they’re not, you’ll be prompted to point to the drivers (use the ones on the hard drive)

In the end, the drivers will be reinstalled but you’ll also be at the TCP/IP defaults. Let’s give that a try and see if that resets whatever is causing the issue.

PLAN A: Reset the Layered Service Providers

1. Open a cmd.exe window (start, run, cmd.exe and press Enter)

Issue these commands at the prompt – do not worry if there is no display of any results. The first and last command create files containing network configuration details and the middle command resets the configuration to defaults – so you can later compare these files to see what was changed (maybe nothing).

1. netsh winsock show catalog >C:\lsp-before.txt

2. netsh winsock reset catalog

3. netsh winsock show catalog >C:\lsp-after.txt

After those commands…

1. restart the machine and retest. If this helped, check out the two text files to see if you can determine what was removed and what functionality might be changed as a result. (Most of the LSPs are added by 3rd-party software, some that provide network security or other added functionality, so it’s good to know what you may have lost and need to reinstall.)

PLAN B: Reset the TCP/IP Network Parameters

1. Open a cmd.exe window (start, run, cmd.exe and press Enter)
  1. Issue this command at the prompt: netsh int ip reset c:\tcpip-resetlog.txt

2. restart the machine and retest. If this helped, you had some parameter forced that is now at a default. However, unlike before, you likely don’t need to check out c:\tcpip-resetlog.txt unless something network-related has stopped working. (Most of the parameters that get reset by this operations are tuning or forcing parameters.)

PLAN C: Look for conflict-causing software applications or services

1. Click on start, run, and type msconfig and press Enter.
  1. Choose the option for the minimal startup (turns off the most stuff). You will be prompted to reboot – do so.

2. After the reboot, you’ll get a pop-up warning you that this is a diagnostic mode – I think it offers to make those changes permanent (don’t) – just click OK or whatever to pass through in this mode for this one boot.

3. Now start your browser and try those various tests. If this helps, then there probably is an issue involving some of the applications and services that are normally running but have been stopped in this mode. Go back into MSCONFIG and re-enable a group of the disabled services or start-up programs, click OK, you’ll be prompted to reboot – do so.

4. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you narrow down on the programs or services that make the difference between working and failing.

========================================================

If none of those work, then I’m out of ideas :cry:

???I tried all of the above, pc seems to be much more stable and is running much faster. Still is not updating the definitions. For a while it was saying that I did not have enough resources. Today I ran the diagnostics under MORE. It said it found errors, fixed them, asked me to reboot. It is now giving me the message: Error 0x80072ee7. I looked in the knowledge base but did not find anything about that eror code. It has picked up several out going threats, but the incoming threats are still reading zero. ???

At Nikopan. What version of CIS are you using?