can not stop scheduled scan

Hello, I would like to report a small issue.
I am unable to stop a scheduled scan in the new verision 5.
I am running windows vista.
Any suggestions?

Do you mean that: “Antivirus” > “Scheduled Scans” > select “Weekly Scan” and click “Remove” does not stop it?

Do you mean you cannot CANCEL before the scan commences,
or that you cannot STOP it’s progress once it has started ?

Alan

I can not stop once the scan has started. I hit stop, then close, but nothing happens.It keeps scanning

You are correct, it is a small issue.

A VERY LARGE ISSUE would be if a virus could “stop a scheduled scan” when the AV was closing in on it.
Be careful what you pray for ! !

Alan

Nothing up my sleeve. Abracadabra! A bug becomes a virtue! ???
We must be eternally vigilant against “viruses” that can operate the Windows GUI. 88)

I suspect that you are being sarcastic, and it is your opinion that a virus is not able to operate the GUI.
You have a right to an opinion, but I consider your opinion untrustworthy.

I remember when emails could only do damage when you clicked on a link.
Suddenly the rules changed and if Outlook/Outlook Express was open the very instant the ISP delivered an email your P.C. could be infected as it was automatically presented in Preview.
New mode of infection, new rule for protection - “DISABLE PREVIEW”.

I remember when malware pop-ups only did harm if you clicked “scan my system.”
I remember when pop-ups grew the ability to do harm if you used the button labelled “CLOSE”.
I decided that should I ever get a pop-up I would not only refrain from “CLOSE”,
I would also refrain from the red cross in the extreme top right corner of the pop-up,
and what I anticipated actually became common.

I believe DEFENSE+ is able to protect the memory space of one process from invasion by another.
Without that protection would not the GUI memory space be vulnerable to malware telling it the user has clicked the “STOP SCAN” button ?

Please remember we are NOT considering the possibility that a new infection will deceive the GUI as a means of getting on-board.
We are dealing with a user that suspects malware may already be entrenched in the system, and is launching a scan and using a GUI that is subject to all the Microsoft vulnerabilities that are currently known plus those which have yet to be discovered.

I believe that a professional malware exterminator would include in his toolkit a Boot CD due to the impossibility of trusting any part of a compromised Windows operating system.

It has been said that “we have nothing to fear but fear itself”, but viruses are the exception that prove the rule.

Regards
Alan

Yes I was being sarcastic.
I agree that we should not be complacent when it comes to the perceived capability of malware, but to suggest that such “fear” is a legitimate reason for not wanting a functioning “stop” button is… (sorry I’ll have to restrain myself. I’m coming over all saracstic again). ;D

The day that a virus is able to detect the start of a scheduled scan, open the AV UI, enter the password and correctly overide an alert such as, “Do you really want to stop the current scan?”, is the day we all bite the bullet and move over to Linux.

cheers,
Pete 8)

anyboody have suggestions to my problem?

I have noticed schedule scan could lockup if cloud lookup was enabled in scheduled scan settings, I would just try it with cloud lookup disabled for scheduled scan if it works at least you know the problem is related to cloud lookup during scheduled scans. I wonder if this happens if you lose connectivity briefly during some part of its cloud lookup. Kind regards

I have no scheduled scan on my PC. So would you believe, I just actually tried it and it just stops! :-[

P.S. I have cloud analysis enabled.

[attachment deleted by admin]

You are correct it will stop normally. What I meant was if the scan locks on a particular file, then the stop button doesn’t do anything it does not show are you sure you want to stop scanning. If the scan is stalled before trying to abort (Stop) it, a bug report has been done here.
https://forums.comodo.com/format-verified-issue-reports-cis/comodo-av-stalls-during-scanning-284-t63244.0.html

Your arguments sound reasonable.
However :-

A simpler possibility might be that the virus has 8 different instances,
each able to detect the demise of any companion and to take corrective action.

Some months ago I learnt of “Zombie Cookies” in http://windowssecrets.com/comp/100805
More recently I learnt they may come as a group of 8,
and if you zap 7 the one that remains will recreate those you zapped.
Evercookie... - CCleaner - CCleaner Community Forums

If privacy invading cookies can form a group that detects and repairs attacks,
why should not more malevolent malware have that capability,
and additionally take action against the A.V. which has just started to damage the group ?

open the AV UI, enter the password

Is a password always required ?
When I have manually scanned I have never encountered any need for the password,
in fact I vaguely remember choosing to NOT have a password.

Regards
Alan