Can malware jump on a Duoboot system Ms\Linux?

I question myself and ask you.

I have a duo-boot system WinXP \ Kubuntu. We know that win viruses can settle on a Linux computer but can’t do harm. Now if we boot to Windows can a virus sitting on the Linux site move over to the windows site and infect the system?

I would say no.

Because the Linux partition by default should be a foreign file system to windows.

So even if you stored Windows viruses they should be inaccessible, let alone jump out automatically.

Bad

Does this count even for a WUBI install?
http://wubi-installer.org/

That Wubi is a new one on me,

I meant in the classic separate partition install.

Can you open/read any of the Wubi folder files while booted in windows?

Bad

Kubuntu is installed in the windows Program files as a normal windows program and can be removed that way. The normal windows folder can be opened. The files inside (4 or 5) are not usable or readable for me. Kubuntu can not be started in Windows mode only at boot in a normal Grub.

Eljo

Wubi installs Kubuntu inside Windows.

You have no separate partition.

As such, yes Ubuntu is permeable to windows malware, and whatever malware downloaded/installed while running Ubuntu is able to contaminate windows exactly like any other malware installed in Program Files or another system folder.

This being said, i see no point in Wubi (Lubi is better, installing ubuntu inside linux), as it forces you to reboot and is not a virtual machine.

For testing purposes, it is far better to use either a virtual machine, either a live CD/USB.

On a production computer, you should install Kubuntu or whatever you want in a separate ext partition noting that, opposite to what a lot of people say, it is perfectly possible to install linux after windows from lilo/grub, using, e.g., bootpart or using a proprietary bootloader (outside of products like bootitng, xosl, gag or spfdisk, not to be used in my opinion because they write a specific mbr and/or are very unconvenient, syslinux and grub4dos do the job).

Thanks a lot, thats what I needed to know :wink:

Also, if you give WINE (WineHQ’s window binary runner) to much power and mount your Windows partition, you can infect Windows. Just thought I’d mention that… :stuck_out_tongue:

Linux can be a carrier for windows viruses. especially email attachments. Whilst linux is unlikely to be affected by these windows based attacks, they could potentially affect wine based applications or be forwarded to windows itself.

I can see the point to run wine if you have a computer running linux, and another windows, but not on a single computer dual boot configuration.

In such a situation, you can “see” some windows data from inside linux, and somehow use some software (explore2fs, ext2IFS…) the other way around.

But some software are not “winable” and, if you can’t manage to use applications having the same data format on both sides (a good example is accounting), it is faster to reboot and choose only one side, or to use a virtual machine.

Hey Eljo.
I recommend you try to do a normal install of kubuntu without wubi if possible… I found noticeable performance increase using the file system EXT4 as compared to windows NTFS.

If you install lets say Ubuntu through Wubi in Windows, it would be smart to shrink the current drive if that’s all you have and create a separate partition and install Ubuntu in it’s own partition separate from the Windows install.

Nothing can infect or interfere with the Windows OS then, unless you mount the Windows OS within Ubuntu and manually drag any malware, rootkits or some other form there and then run it inside Windows which would be a pretty stupid thing to do in th first place.

I have downloaded tons of malware, rootkits and other forms to test on my Ubuntu Wubi install and the only way you can get infected is if you do what I mentioned above. As far as wine is concerned, I don’t use it for anything. That’s what I have Windows for.

I use Ubuntu as my work station and daily use. I use Windows strictly for gaming or maybe to test a few things in between.