Can I view the Comodo Certified List?

Hi,

I’ve searched the application, the website and the forum, but I haven’t found a list of which apps are included in the certified list. Have I missed something obvious?? Or is the list not easily available??

Thanks // Stanley

G’day Stanley,

The certified applications list is not accessible to users. This was done deliberately to ensure that the certified list could not be manipulated by malware. If you or I could read it, what would there be to prevent the bad guys inserting their ■■■■ into the list of approved applicatons?

Yes, it’s a bit of a pain, but it’s a compromise I’m willing to accept.

If you really want to see what’s in the list, turn off hte option to automatically allow appsinthe list and start some of your more popular apps. You’ll start getting alerts where you never had them before. This isn’t a definitive means, but it can give you some idea of hte scope of the approved list.

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Thanks for the quick reply.

I can see your logic, but why couldn’t the list be made available online?? If it wasn’t part of the application, then it couldn’t be manipulated.

Anyway, like you suggested, I can get the same effect by turning off the option to automatically allow apps in the list. This is what I am currently doing and it works perfectly.

I guess I was just interested to see the whole list to get an idea of Comodo’s policies with regards to what gets certified and what doesn’t.

btw, I’ve been using the firewall for 2 days now and I like it a lot!!

Regards // stanley

Hey Stanley,

One of the best bits of CFP is the fact that us users can submit files to Comodo for analysis. Check the help file (under the heading “pop up windows”) for more details.

Cheers,

P.S> Welcome to the forums.

New users can’t help but question this as they wonder why some programs connect without any alerts and others do. 88) (But what can we do).

I’d prefer if choosing the option to not show alerts by Comodo certified apps would make those rules visible. There are programs that won’t show in there.
If i do it myself, everything is there, so this isn’t so bad. But i still prefer to see everything no matter what.

Cheers

Hi panic.

Maybe I’m missing something from the huge context of the problem, but what is the relation between “could read It” and “could change It”? When I can read something, It does’t mean that I can change It. What about e-sign?

I can’t see the security problem in making the certified applications list public for view.

Klaus

I agree… the list should be visible even though changes cannot be made to it. Who’s to say that Comodo could certified an application that a user might not want to connect without he/she knowing. If we can’t see it, we may never know.

If you don’t trust it, which I can understand, the only option at this point is to disable it.

It’s not just a security issue - there is also the business side of things to consider.

Comodo have invested considerable expense in producing, maintaining and enhancing their software products. If one of the key defferences between their software and a competitors is the whitelist, why publish information that can also benefit their commercial competitors?

They’ve stumped up with the cash to produce this software, so I guess they’ve got a reasonable expectation that they will be the only company to gain a benefit from its use.

Cheers,

This is what I’m missing from the huge context of the problem. I understand and agree.

Klaus