Can CMT replace System Restore?

Assuming intelligent use (big assumption?), can CTM replace System Restore? I personally rarely use SR, I think it’s better in most cases to manually fix trouble, but it’s good to have as a backup, in case of massive filesystem corruption due to malware for instance. My belief is that backing up all docs regularly and keeping a baseline of the personally configured OS is a good way to go overall …

But all of that aside (and I guess I’m wondering out of curiosity more than anything else), can I completely do away with SR, Win7’s shadow copy backups, and the absurd redundancy of Dell’s system protection activity (I like Dell a lot, but come on guys … :wink: )? The only minor problem with CMT compared to SR is the need to back up docs in their current state, no big deal.

And Comodo, how are you able to get this thing to take such quick snapshots compared to SR? Nearly as I can tell your snapshots contain virtually everything that’s hidden in System Volume Information. And I absolutely love being able to access older data so simply. I’m impressed!

These days storage real estate is cheap enough to allow some waste, I just like to have a more streamlined system. Thanks!

Yes, perfectly. Even more as it is a full system restore (snapshot) and not only some files.

CTM is not a backup but a system restore tool.

Windows system restore backup the files and CTM the disk information (sectors).

Thanks Tech, for answering that so definitively, and with the answer I was hoping for! BTW, I see that you’ve got both CTM and TrueCrypt – from what I’ve been reading today, pretty tricky at best. Is the main secret setting everything up so as not to have CTM on one of the volumes which is encrypted? That was the suggestion which seemed to make the most sense, overall it seemed that the consensus was far as could be from conclusive!

I hadn’t really thought of it as a backup per se – but now that you mention it, I’m not sure that I can see why it wouldn’t be, or at least close enough (though I haven’t investigated the contents of the snapshots too thoroughly yet, everything seems to be there). I do believe you of course, just wondering whether you could elaborate on the difference?

I use TrueCrypt portable and use Windows Task manager to start it without UAC question.
Both drivers don’t conflict at startup as only CTM one is loaded.
I do not see incompatibilities (until now) and the system is running pretty well.
Oh, I see no performance degradation using CTM. Never.

I do not protect (with CTM) the TrueCrypt partition.
But I was crazy enough to do it in the past. Do you want to know the results? CTM worked and restored back a TrueCrypt partition without losing the encryption or any file. But none of the programmers (neither I) would recommend such thing. Just that it tested the CTM restore capabilities…

The disk surface information (sectors, the binary information stored there) is saved like a map. Windows can’t see this information. Only CTM. When a new file is saved, CTM avoids the use of that “free space” because old files where kept there. Any disk write is redirected to a clean (really free) space in the disk. So, the snapshot is the state of the disk at a particular time. No “extra” files (like a backup) are saved. They’re kept into the free space of the disk.