Can anyone give me info why is so??

I am not getting it why it is happening.

I had got a Belkin Router to access other systems at home wirelessly. I had tried every possible troubl e shooting through google search, Belkin support, my ISP support, here in the forum, but my net never worked properly neither on the main system nor wirelessly on the other systems. It use to work for few minutes then for few minutes it use to give me page cannot be displayed, again use to work for few minutes then again for few minutes page cannot be displayed then again…

Now the miracle part

Recently I started using Comodo DNS, so i thought trying the router again with Comodo DNS. It works absolutely fine on the main system, but wireless it connects but net doesn’t works on the other systems, so I entered Comodo DNS on the other systems too & the net works absolutely fine on these systems too. Its been 7 hours & it hasn’t given me page cannot be displayed prob & is working perfect. But the minute I change to my ISP’s i.e obtain DNS automatically, the prob appears. Again changed to Comodo DNS, it works perfect.

Now I am veryyyyyyyy happy the prob is solved with Comodo DNS, but I find this strange.

Can anyone tell me whyyyyy so??? I really want to know why this happens???

Thanxx
Naren

This is very similar to your other post regarding DNS. The fact that you have to enter the DNS servers on the client PCs suggests they are not getting DNS settings from the router. In your other post I asked you to post a screen shot of an ipconfig /all from one of the client PCs that is set to obtain DNS from the router.

It would also be helpful to see what settings you’ve adopted for the WAN settings on the router. Both normal set-up and Alternate method. Refer to the belkin manual for help.

Wireless G Router - Belkin (PDF)

The situation with Comodo DNS is

Comodo DNS entered on main system & router - works fine.

Other system accessed wirelessly internet dont work. If Comodo DNS entered on these system then net works fine.

When Comodo DNS is not entered on the other systems but entered on router & main system, ipconfig /all on other system shows different DNS server & not Comodo DNS. I guess it should show Comodo DNS coz the router is configured with Comodo DNS, m I right?

So tell me what info, screenshots you need?

Thanxx
Naren

So tell me what info, screenshots you need?
This is very similar to your other post regarding DNS. The fact that you have to enter the DNS servers on the client PCs suggests they are not getting DNS settings from the router. In your other post I asked you to post a screen shot of an ipconfig /all from one of the client PCs that is set to obtain DNS from the router.

It would also be helpful to see what settings you’ve adopted for the WAN settings on the router. Both normal set-up and Alternate method. Refer to the belkin manual for help.

Screenshot of Client system when Comodo DNS is not entered on Client system attached. DNS Add is different in the screenshot.

Internet WAN setting is

Connection - PPPOE Connection - Entered Username & Password.
DNS - Comodo DNS
MAC Address - Cloned MAC Address
Security - WPA2
WiFi Protected Setup - Enabled
Wireless Mode - Mixed 11b+11g
Protected Mode - Off
WMM Mode - ON
Turbo Mode - Disabled
Extend Range - Disable

All the settings are Default Router Settings. Only the settings I need to entered, I have entered.

[attachment deleted by admin]

May I assume 192.168.2.1 is the IP address of the router? May I also assume the IP address of the client is in the same subnet 192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0? (by the way you don’t need to obscure your address if you’re behind a router, as they’re private non-routable addresses)

In the properties for the router (image) what are the settings you’ve entered?

On the client, open a command prompt and type:

nslookup www.google.com

Post the results.

Yes for both the questions. Attached is the screenshot of nslookup when Comodo DNS is not entered .

Assuming the client is correctly configured to collect it’s ip address and other settings from the router, because the nslookup failed, it would appear your router is incorrectly configured for handling DNS queries. Please post screen shots of the DNS configuration pages of the router.

Attached is the screenshot

From the screen shot of the DNS configuration, it would appear to be correctly configured, but clearly that’s not the case. Unfortunately, the router doesn’t seem to offer anyway to log connections, so whatever troubleshooting done, will have to trial and error.

A few suggestions:

1. Log into the router and check the ‘Status’ page. What are the values under Internet Settings
  2. Remove the Comodo DNS servers and select the box ‘Automatic from ISP’ attempt to connect from a client.
  3. If the clients are wireless clients, try changing the channel
  4. Make sure you clients are connecting through your router and not another nearby.
  5. Make sure the clients are configured correctly to obtain DHCP and DNS (image)

Whatever you have mentioned I have tried all thingsi.e channels, checked settings, etc but nothing solves the prob. What is internet settings you have mentioned? There is no such settings in the router page.

If I completely go with ISP DNS settings i.e automatic DNS then on client system I always get the IP ADD 168. which is windows automatic IP, I dont know why?

Thanxx
Naren

I’m referring to the main status page (see image)

f I completely go with ISP DNS settings i.e automatic DNS then on client system I always get the IP ADD 168. which is windows automatic IP, I dont know why?

Thanxx
Naren

If your getting an APIPA address (169.254.0.0/222.255.0.0) that means DHCP is not working, not DNS. It’s sounding like you’ve got a fundamental error in the configuration of your router. Have you spoke to your ISP about using routers with their service. Maybe they have a help page with the correct configuration…

My ISP has DHCP Disabled. Is it safe to post the status page? And one more thing, I am on main system which is WIN 7 64, I am not able to take screenshot, its not working, so how should I take one?

Thanxx
Naren

Edit - Ok I have copy-paste the info on notepad. Any setting I should hide in the status before attaching here.

If DHCP is disabled, how do you get an IP address?

Is it safe to post the status page? And one more thing, I am on main system which is WIN 7 64, I am not able to take screenshot, its not working, so how should I take one?

Nothing happens if you press print screen and then past the image into paint? If that doesn’t work download FastStone Capture it’s free and it’s portable, so just unzip it somewhere and run it. It;s very easy to use.

If you’re worried about privacy, just obscure the last part of the private ip address.

Attached is the notepad copy. Haven’t hide anything. If need to hide anything just tell me I will modify it later.

My ISP has IP & DNS on automatic. ipconfig /all shows dhcp disabled.

fn + prn scr is the key to take screenshot in 7 64. Just found through google.

Any info… By the way the same thing happens with my ISP DNS. MY ISP setttings are automatic IP & DNS. ipconfig /all shows ISP’s DNS. If I enter ISP DNS on Router & Main System the net works fine. But the same prob with client system. It requires the ISP DNS to be entered otherwise it shows different DNS & net doesn’t works.

Thanxx
Naren

Any info..............................

Was there supposed to be a file attached to you previous post?

My ISP has IP & DNS on automatic. ipconfig /all shows dhcp disabled.

Running ipconfig on which system?

ipconfig /all shows ISP's DNS

It shows the ISPs DNS but DHCP is disabled? On which system?

If I enter ISP DNS on Router & Main System the net works fine. But the same prob with client system. It requires the ISP DNS to be entered otherwise it shows different DNS & net doesn't works.

How is your ‘main’ system connected to the router and how are the clients connected to the router?

In the previous page I had attached the Status page of router which you has asked for. Later I removed it thinking you must have downloaded it coz it was showing downloaded 2 times.

If I dont use router & use my ISP settiings i.e automatic ip & dns then ipconfig on the system shows dns address of the isp but dhcp is shown as disabled.

Not me.

If I dont use router & use my ISP settiings i.e automatic ip & dns then ipconfig on the system shows dns address of the isp but dhcp is shown as disabled.

Sorry naren, but I’m quite lost now, so I’ll ask some questions, please answer them all.

1. have you configured the network adapter on your PCs to automatically acquire an IP address and DNS server address?
  2. If you don’t use the router, do the PCs get and IP address and DNS server addresses and can they connect to the Internet?
  3. If you use the router, and the box for Automatic from ISP is checked, do the PCs get an IP address and DNS server addresses and can they connect to the Internet.
  4. If the Automatic from ISP box is not checked, but you manually enter the DNS server addresses on the router, do the PCs get an IP address and DNS server addresses.
  5. Are your PCs connection to the router wired or wireless, if different, which PC’s get information from the router and which do no. Which can connect to the Internet and which cannot.

From the start menu run services.msc and look for the DHCP and DNS client services. Make sure they’re both set to automatic and both are started.

I have total 3 adapters, Broadband Pacenet i.e My ISP, LAN & Wireless. All the adapters settings are as it is i.e I haven’t changed anything in the settings. All the adapters are set to automatic IP & DNS.

Now when I connect to net without router, my ISP adapter details shows ip, dhcp disbaled, dns add, but LAN details shows ip 169…, but the net works fine.

When I connect to net with router (all the system connects wirelessly) then net works for few minutes & doesn’t work for few minutes, this prob occurs. In this case wrong dns is shown in ipconfig, sometimes ip are also shown 169… systems are not able to get right dns & ip for some reason & so the net prob I guess.

But if I enter my isp DNS instead of automatic dns then everything works fine. Ipconfig shows right dns & net works without any prob.

Thanxx
Naren