Came back to Comodo.... any tips after install?

I just installed CIS. Only the firewall portion and when installing. I left every thing checked at defaults. I even let it do a full scan. Which all came back clean and prompted a reboot. Any thing else I need to do? I noticed it has the firewall and D+ both in safe mode. Should it be left at that? Also how about when installing/removing/updating programs? How do I avoid all the pop ups? It has been a while since using Comodo again. A little rusty! I also just noticed D+ changing from safe mode to clean pc mode by itself.

p.s.

I noticed before installing CIS. I got a warning about SSM (System Safety Monitor) not being compatible with CIS. And it listed it as severe. Now the crazy thing is. I uninstalled that a long time ago. Will I be okay?

“Safe Mode’ is recommended setting for most users - combining the highest levels of security with an easy-to-manage number of Defense+ alerts.”

"Train with Safe Mode: While monitoring critical system activity, Defense+ will automatically learn the activity of executables and applications certified as ‘Safe’ by Comodo. It will also automatically create ‘Allow’ rules these activities. For non-certified, unknown, applications, you will receive an alert whenever that application attempts to run. Should you choose, you can add that new application to the safe list by choosing ‘Treat this application as a Trusted Application’ at the alert. This will instruct the Defense+ not to generate an alert the next time it runs.

“‘Installation Mode: Installer applications and updaters may need to execute other processes in order to run effectively. These are called ‘Child Processes’. In ‘Paranoid’, Train with Safe’ and ‘Clean PC modes’, Defense+ would raise an alert every time these child processes attempted to execute because they have no access rights. Whilst in one of these 3 modes, Comodo Internet Security Pro will make it easy to install new applications that you trust by offering you the opportunity to temporarily engage ‘Installation Mode’ - which will temporarily bestow these child processes with the same access rights as the parent process - so allowing the installation to proceed without the usual alerts.
If you are installing a new, unknown application. Defense+ will alert you with a pop-up notification and, as you want to allow this application to continue installing, you should select ‘Treat this application as an Installer or Updater’ at the Defense+ alert. This will be followed by a reminder that you need to switch back to your previous mode.”

Maybe a registry scan?

Thanks so much for the response and help. I have a few more questions regarding the firewall. As I said. I installed it with default settings including Firewall with Optimum Proactive Security default setting. I was wondering why you suggest switching D+ back to safe mode? Since I left every thing at default settings. Comodo the program itself is suggesting other wise by reverting back to Clean PC mode for D+. I also have 37 files waiting for my review in D+. How do I go about taking care of those properly and getting them all cleared?

p.s.

I also decided to run the diagnostic wizard just to make sure the install went fine. It said it found a problem and prompted me if I wanted to choose and let it fix it. I said no. Should I have said yes? Why would it say that if it was just installed?

You get less alerts in Clean PC mode, but you should only use it if you are sure your PC is completely clean.

“Clean PC Mode: From the time you set the slider to ‘Clean PC Mode’, Defense+ will learn the activities of the applications currently installed on the computer while all new executables introduced to the system are monitored and controlled. This patent-pending mode of operation is the recommended option on a new computer or one that the user knows to be clean of malware and other threats. From this point onwards Defense+ will alert the user whenever a new, unrecognized application is being installed. In this mode, the files in ‘My Pending Files’ are excluded from being considered as clean and are monitored and controlled.”

That’s weird. I guess try and let it fix it.

Says it could not fix some of the problems and asked if I wanted a report. I saved it and it is kinda big. Any ideas? Also. How do I take care of those pending files? Thanks again for all the help. I tried to post the report but it is to big and will not let me.

I guess a reinstall?

A lot of your questions are answered in the informative CIS help file (Miscellaneous > Help)
Have a look in the help file in D+ Tasks Overview > Common Tasks > My Pending Files. It will tell you everything.

I could try a reinstall. But, kinda trying to avoid that. Every thing is running super smooth right now. You think it might be just a possible glitch? Or maybe it will rear its ugly head later on? I am also concerned that the firewall may not be performing optimally because of that. Hmmm what to do.

In case of a reinstall you can choose to export your current configuration. Go to Miscellaneous → Manage my configuration.

Thanks. Some how I need to get rid of this.

List of incompatible software present in system:
System Safe Monitor 2.0.8.583

I believe that is the cause of my problem with diagnostics not being able to fix it. The problem is though. I uninstalled that program months ago. It was a HIPS program. I have used Comodo’s registry cleaner in the past and it messed things up. I do not want to use it again. Any idea for the next move?

It’s most likely leftover registry keys. Either use a reg cleaner or go into the registry manually (not recommended)…