C.I.S. disappears during Fresh Install in XP

Hey Folks - I just read through about 20 posts/forums and could not find a similar solution.

PC is old - Athlon 2400+ with 2sticks of 256Meg in only 2 slots (for a total of 512Meg) - RUNNING WIN XP SP3

When my retired-on-a-pension friend handed it over to me… the older comodo… had stopped working as they had let…toooo many “Update? Y/N”… pass with “No”…and eventually it stopped working.

KNOWING you just can’t do an about face and say yes… - I thought it would be best to take everything OLD out of their system…
Fake Driver Updater, Fake Driver Manager, Fake SpeedUp PC, OUT of DATE: Eusing Registry Cleaner, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, Spybot 1.6.2 and defraggler… and C.I.S. by comodo (circa 2012) couldn’t get you revision # as it was not booting up on start-up - couldn’t see the HELP-About Comodo
Upon removing it… I was smart enough to download and run the COMODO Removal Tool version3.0a (or was that b?)
Ran it once… chose option 1… - followed instructions - shut down… rebooted… ran again… option 1 … shut down

When it came back up… I downloaded and ran Eusing Reg cleaner - found 141 more issues… took them out
Installed Spybot v2.3 (I know 2.4 and now 2.5 exist)…but not knowing if wither SUPPORTS XP… went with what was safe…updated… and immunized… v2.3 - scanned - found 151 cookies/spyware…etc… - removed them all - rebooted

Downloaded Combofix from Bleeping computers - found 155 infections and 10 orphans

Tried installing latest MBAM (Malwarebytes Anti-malware) - halfway through that install it said newer version available…what the hey…sure…might as well… - it died :frowning:

Downloaded and installed MBAM-Clean - removed MBAM - REBOOTED

Re-installed… - SAID NO this time to “update-on-the-fly” when it prompted me… - completed install… performed scan - 0 infections found

Things were looking BETTER :slight_smile: … downloaded C.I.S. 8.2.0.4591 - installed it… 100% unpacked… wait… wait… waiiiiit… ??? nothing :frowning:

no Widget… No thanx for installing message… CTRL+ALT+DEL - pulled up task manager …nothing in processes or applications… related to CAV / CIS :frowning: zip… zilch nada… (probably wound up in the same vortex… those missing socks go to in the drying cycle )

OK well with that many “infections” … there may be a few other things… that needed attention…

Used the COMODO PROGRAM MANAGER - found 2 or 3 things that would not uninstall via… Add/Remove Programs. so I took that out…

Found a few rogue entries… for… NORTON A.V. hmm that could cause a conflict…

RAN NRT (Norton Removal Tool) … - remnants found and removed

REBOOTED system - performed… CHKDSK /R - on reboot… - errors found and corrected…

Fired in HiJack This… - surprisingly clean - only one BHO with a (missing file) - took that out…

Rebooted and ran… Defraggler… - including set up… for boottime defrag…

spuced up the fragmentation :slight_smile: - loooooking MINT :slight_smile:

Performed 5 ms - updates (just in case any of them… were needed/required for C.I.S. - 3 successful… 2 failed including one related to net-frames 3.5… - not essential… just ignored it for now)

DOWNLOADED a fresh copy of CIS 8.2.0.4591 …just in the offfffff chance… previous came down corrupted…

and nope… you guessed… it… - the same… installs to the 100% unpacked… and it disappears…no… widget… no… install geek-buddy option… nothing

HELP

Hi,

never had a case like that but similar. From the top of my mind you could try two things, Install WinRAR, download the CIS file and unpack it. Then start the install directly. If it still doesn’t work, get an Anti ROOTkit and run it. Some of the ROOtkits prevent the install of an AV.

Thanks

LordRayden

P.S. You could also go into the registry (regedit), go to “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE” and delete “ComodGroup” and go to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE” and delete “Comodo”, then try to install the unpacked File.

EDIT:
You could also go to Kostenlose Antivirus Plugins und Apps - Bitdefender Toolbox and do the online Scan. From what you wrote you just did Malware/Spyware removal but no AV scan…