BUG: Windows XP Encryption & Automatic Update (Version 3.0.22.349)

Hi!

I would like to inform you that there is some kind of misbehaviour in your product
“Comodo Firewall Pro”, Version 3.0.22.349, 18th April, 2008.

Siutation:
If the already installed Comodo Firewall is being updated by the internal installation routines AND the the internal encryption (EFS) of Microsoft Windows XP Professional is being used on the folders where the temporary files for the update process are stored, then both the comodo drivers in the Windows-System32 folders and the program files are encrypted, too.

Problem:
The encryption of the files of Comodo Firewall Pro is fatal, especially the encryption on the drivers. Als long as the user under which the update process was made hasn’t logged in yet, the neccessary files (the drivers) cannot be loaded.

Result:
Comodo firewall is not functioning properly (not working at all), which means an unprotected PC.

Great product, btw!!
Kind regards,
CRC

Hi,

I guess this is not a bug of CFP, but feature of Windows encryption: what encrypted one user is not accessible to other users.

Yes, sure, but the automatic update process places its temporary installation files in a subfolder of %APPDATA% - which is encrypted.

IMHO it would be better to store that files in the %TEMP% folder.

Or, maybe, do some other neat trick to uncrypt the files in the target location.

The target location is for me %ProgramFiles%\Comodo and is not encrypted. But because the files are copied from an enrypted location to this one the files still remain encrypted.

One may think of that as a feature…but it isn’t quite a useful one. :wink:

CRC

Ok, thanks for explaining it to me. Now i understand your point. Some enhancement in update procedure is needed i guess :THNK

Thanks for your quick response, and sorry that I wasn’t quite clear enough. :-[

Yes, that’s it: some small improvements in the update process (maybe using %TEMP%?).

Thanks.
I’m looking forward to the next release. :slight_smile:

In the meantime I have to look out that my colleagues don’t use the automatic update feature (because most of them are using encrypted home directories). :-\