Bug Reports for Beta 2.0.0.3

Good day,

Comodo Antivirus 2.0.0.3 Beta has been replaced by Comodo Antivirus Beta 2.0.4.3. For more information please go HERE

Thank you for taking your time in reporting bugs (:HUG)

Hi Kishor

Surely, you mean 2.0.0.3?

Anyway…

1. HIPS exclusions is not working… unless this requires a reboot? Exclude a directory, including sub-directories, in HIPS. Apply & close CAVS UI. Open the excluded folder, run a program & up pops CAVS HIPS despite being told to ignore the whole directory.

2. Boot-up… one word awful. Sorry. This is really going to put new users off IMHO. The CPU impact of CAVASM.EXE is heavy. It takes about 10-15 minutes on my system after a reboot for CAVASM to settle down & stop using 50-90% of the CPU. The impact on the rest of system is very noticeable. There are hangs (lasting for up to 60 seconds), some of which also freeze the pointer (1st time I’ve seen that). Whilst some hangs just effect the systray. And this was not the first boot either. I cannot monitor what is happening, since even with MS’ Process Explorer priority set at 24 (realtime) it cannot capture what is happening during the hangs.

3. First Boot. I don’t think CAVS AV or HIPS scanning should be enabled until after UPSDbMaker has completed. Or at the very least, CAVS AV & HIPS should ignore the actions of UPSDbMaker. Because of (1) I had to pause UPSDbMaker as soon as the screen became visible until CAVASM settled down. It took nearly 14 minutes just for the UPSDbMaker screen to appear.

4. Email scanning. As with all previous versions of CAVS, I’ve been forced to disable CAVEMSRV (Comodo AntiVirus Email Proxy Server) because it uses 70-94% of CPU whilst scanning & effectively stops me from using my system during that time.

As it stands now… 40 minutes after a reboot… all seems well. The system is responsive & happy. But, I still get short non-responsive hangs. Typically these hangs last no more than 10 seconds & only the pointer is responsive.

The link you quoted is the wrong version. That is the old 2.0.0.2 version. The new version is the the one in the other thread. I did the same as you and installed the old one before I realized it. The new version (2.0.0.3) works better. No trouble on the install. Everything went very smooth this time.

One bug I found on 2.0.0.3. The icons on the email scan don’t work until I uncheck them and hit “Apply” then recheck them and hit “Apply” again.

Email scan is alot faster. Very good so far.

Now I’m gonna put AntiSpam back on to see how they play together. (:TNG)

jasper (:CLP)

I have 2.0.0.3. I was just pointing out to Kishor that he posted the wrong download URL.

Uninstalling v2.0.0.2 on-access scanner failed to uninstall (my fault, I forgot to disable before starting uninstall). I mention this only as I don’t know if it has bearing on the following…

Installing v2.0.0.3, email scanner failed to install. Installation otherwise completed as normal. After reboot, UPSDbMaker ran; I left for 15 minutes. When I came back, it was done. Some HIPS popups, no big deal.

Here’s the kicker - no more internet connection. Said the network had not assigned DNS, Windows couldn’t fix it, didn’t know what caused it. Had IE7 analyze the connection, it said Comodo’s LSP was interrupting service; would I like it removed. Yes, please. LSP gone, connection restored.

I don’t know if the on-access scanner uninstall failure could impact that, but there you go. CAVS install log (text file), did not show any errors or problems:

CAVS Configuration started On 11/16/2006–12:22:37 PM

Looking for previous installation.
Registry data updated successfully
COM Registration completed successfully
On-Access Driver installation utility executed successfully
Licence information checking utility executed successfully
LSP utility executed successfully
Unzip utility loaded successfully
cavbases Unzip utility loaded successfully

I uninstalled CAVS 2.0.0.3 to do a “new” install; hopefully without the email scanner/LSP error.

LM

Hello everyone,

I have fixed the link in the first post, you should now be able to download 2.0.0.3 from the above link.

After installing 2.0.0.3, you still can’t submit files if they are located on a UNC pathed drive, or on a Novell mapped drive. The file path for either shows up a a SINGLE leading slash, not a DOUBLE leading slash.

Strangley, the UPDBmaker correctly scans all network drive mappings and finds all possible executables. Yippee!!! Now I’m going to have 60,000 files I can’t submit!

Ewen :slight_smile:

edit : 90,000 files scanned now
edit : 115,000 files scanned
edit : 133,000 files scanned and climbing
edit : It’s gunna be interesting to see how well CAVSUBMIT handles a file submission list that resembles the NY phone book! LOL
edit : 215,000 files scanned and ~8900 files in the safelist!!!
edit : 351,000 files scanned, 9600 files in safelist, 26 minutes so far
edit : 482,000 files scanned, 16,024 files in safelist, 37.5 minutes, ZERO files to be submitted??

Hi Everyone,
My mistake for giving wrong link.
Now the correct link for Beta 2.0.0.3 is provided in first post. Also pl read the ‘Note’, “Modifications Done” and “Bugs Fixed” section mensioned in release report at https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,3930.0.html

regards
Kishor

Yep. Its fixed now.

Exclusion works only after rebbot. This is known bug and not yet fixed.

Could you pl upload/send Troubleshhotlog for further analysis?

After 5 hours, 2.0.0.3 is running quite smoothly. There have only been one or two hangs (for around the 10 second mark each) and each time the system recovered gracefully.

I’ll install 2.0.0.3 on one of the PCs at home that is seriously affected by the repeated small hangs and report any changes tonight.

Is it just me or do these hangs seem to occur when something is changing on the desktop, or something is being directly manipulated by exlorer.exe (opening a disk window, etc.)?

Cheers,

Atually, it is not required to disable on-access manually before uninstallation. The uninstaller should take care of it. If without disabling it does not uninstall, developers need to check the program.

Did you close all opened windows before uninstallation? LSP un-installation may fail if some other program like IE, email clients etc. are running. But reinstallation should fix internet connection problem immediately.

On-access uninstaller should not affect email scanner uninstallation.

Kishor: I turned the logging off (performance reasons). But, I will generate one with a normal boot & email scanning. I’ll email it to you.

Ewen: Sometimes, yes it is definitely related to opening or closing something. But, not always. I often notice the hangs when posting on the forums, since the keyboard stops echoing & all the emoticons stop. What I typed during the hang does appear afterwards.

That would make me think it’s a shell-level hang, as the user input is still buffered by the primitives, just not able to be passed to the application layer. Food for thought.

ewen :slight_smile:

Hi Ewen,
good day!

Sorry, this bug is not fixed in submit file program in this setup. It will be fixed in next version.

[quote author=panic link=topic=3931.msg29940#msg29940 date=1163728418]
Strangley, the UPDBmaker correctly scans all network drive mappings and finds all possible executables. Yippee!!! Now I’m going to have 60,000 files I can’t submit!

edit : 90,000 files scanned now
edit : 115,000 files scanned
edit : 133,000 files scanned and climbing
edit : It’s gunna be interesting to see how well CAVSUBMIT handles a file submission list that resembles the NY phone book! LOL
edit : 215,000 files scanned and ~8900 files in the safelist!!!
edit : 351,000 files scanned, 9600 files in safelist, 26 minutes so far
edit : 482,000 files scanned, 16,024 files in safelist, 37.5 minutes, ZERO files to be submitted??

Hi,
The hang issue is being checked by developers. They are analysing the scenario when hang can occur. YOur troubleshoot log will be helpful to us. And it would be great if you mention the time when it hangs.

regards
Kishor

Hi

OK. I’ll take care noting the hang times, etc. I should be able to do this later today (07:25 here)… or would a log from a longer time period, with multiple hangs, be of more value?

HI Kail,
Thanks.
The log for just 2-4 hangs will be ok.

regards
Kishor

Regarding the CAVS Beta 2.0.0.3 . . .

1.) During my first and second installations, I received the following error message:
“Comodo AntiVirus License Activation Module. has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.” Once the message is dismissed, by choosing either the Send Error Report or Don’t Send, the CAVS installation continues.

Typo 1: In the above error message dialogue box, there should not be a period after the word “Module”

2.) I received the following error message only upon my second installation:
“Comodo AntiVirus Inastaller has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.” And again, once the message is dismissed, by choosing either the Send Error Report or Don’t Send, the CAVS installation continues.

Typo 2: In the above error message dialogue box, the word “Inastaller” of course should be spelled “Installer” and the same word is also misspelled in the Title bar of said dialogue box. Also when one goes to see what data the error report contains by clicking on the ‘click here’ one sees that whereever the word Installer is meant to be used, be it on the Title bar or in the message itself, it is misspelled as “Inastaller”

3.) Any User initiated scan, be it by RMB clicking in Explorer or via any of the available types of scan from within the CAVS Virus Scan main window, is faced with the following when the scan completes:

• dialogue box pops up saying, “Comodo AntiVirus Scan is completed” - so the User clicks on the OK button and the dialogue box closes . . .
  • next the Scan Summary window says “Scan is completed. No virus found” - so the User clicks on the Close button of Scan Summary window . . .
  • and yet still another dialogue box pops up saying, “Do you want to close the window?” - so the User clicks on the Yes button and the Scan Summary window closes. Finally.

Please, unless the final step is there for an unknown reason, lets eliminate it altogether.

4.) The Security Center still does not recognize Comodo AntiVirus. Message in the Windows Security center says: “Virus Protection: Not Found.”

Question: Why is it that the same files have to be submitted over again which already had been submitted in previous betas - that is, how come they are not now already included (and thus recognized) in Comodo’s installation database? Also, how come some of Windows own files, as well as Comdo’s, are not already in the database?

On this system, after the installation of CAVS Beta 2.0.0.3, there remain recurring lags in system/application responsiveness which is quite noticeable. And the system returns to its norm (of being reasonably responsive) after the uninstallation of CAVS.

Yet overall, both under the hood and on its surface, CAVS 2 continues to make progress. Keep up the good work.

Laurence

===
This system is running Windows XP Home SP2, all Windows Updates applied, a Pentium IV 3.4 GHz with 2 MB L2 Cache, 2 gigabytes of RAM, and a SATA II drive.

The only problems I have had with CAV so far is it takes forever to scan email. My system is basically locked up until it gets done scanning which takes about 2-3 minutes on just a couple of emails. Did fine at first then slowed down considerably after my last post.

My system is Win XP SP2 and an AMD 3400+ with 512megs of ram. I am using it on my laptop I don’t have any other spyware programs running so I haven’t had any other conflicts up to this point. The install went smooth until the end of the install.

I noticed one peculiar thing happening at the end of the install the first time so I opened a port scanner and task manager while I installed CAV a second time because “srvhost” would peg the cpu at 99% after the install was complete and before a restart and I wanted to see what was happening to cause it. What I found out was that port 80 and 443 would both open and go to Microsoft servers. Just curious as to why these two ports are being opened and going to Microsoft. I don’t have the Defender software running and this is the only time it happens. It never happens again and if I would reinstall again it would do the same thing. Maybe somebody here would have an idea as to why this is happening since it only happens when I install this latest version of CAV and not on the firewall or older versions of the antivirus installs.

I have not noticed any other system slowdowns or problems so far. (:NRD)

jasper

Hi jasper

Re: Connections to MS on 80 & 443. Given that the destination is MS, then 80 (HTTP) & 443 (HTTPS) are probably both Windows Update.