its a little long to describe but i want you to have a complete understanding.
i have ubuntu 64 10.4. inside that i have installed vmware workstation version 7.1.2 build-301548. inside that i have windows 7 32 version with all updates installed and i have installed cis in that windows.i have a shred folder added to windows 7 as a mapped drive and i use it to run my portable application inside windows.
until version 5 everything was OK. after updating ( though i had to uninstall and install over ) cis to version 5.0.153652 everything else is the same( at least i see no difference) but when i run a chromuom webroswer from mapped shared drive , i get the familiar dialog that asks for me to allow or block INTERNET access to that app but when i click any on the option available , again it appears like nothing happened and asks again.this happens for ever( endless loop) the funny thing is i see that in cis firewall rules that the rules i am clicking on are being saved but to no affect and there is a long list of saved rules for that app i am trying to give access and they have no effect what so ever.
another thing i noticed is that when i runned notepad portable it asked and asked and asked to no effect but when i restarted notepad portable it didn’t ask and give INTERNET access to it.same for firefox portable. but the funny part is when i delete network policy configuration in cis, firefox portable and notepad portable ,both can access INTERNET without any dialog asking me about it ! and chrome still asks and asks and asks.
what i want to summarize is that i have the config i added a screen shot of, but still chrome asks again and again and firefox and notepad portable (that are not in the list ) just access internet with no asking.
0 chrome behavior also happens for tor proxy .
1 this happens only on my windows 7 installed in vmware.( i have to way of testing on actual windows install on real hardware)
1.5 if i copy chrome portable to desktop(drive c and not the mapped drive) ,it works normal.
2 this doesn’t happens in windows xp installed on same vmware workstation.
3 this didn’t happened with older versions of cis
5 i have disabled defense part of cis and only use firewall( when installing i only checked firewall without defense++)
my conclusion :
maybe cis 5 has some issues with mapped drives,ormaybe with mapped drive inside vmware windows 7
- What you did:updated to cis 5
- What actually happened or you actually saw: endless dialog asking for permission for binary files on mapped drive.
- What you expected to happen or see:just one dialog
- How you tried to fix it & what happened:cant
- Details (exact version) of any software involved with download link:
- Any other information (eg your guess regarding the cause, with reasons):
- Screenshots illustrating the bug:
- Screenshots of related event logs or the active processes list:
- A CIS config report or file.
- Crash or freeze dump file:
- CIS version, AV database version & configuration used:
- Whether you imported a configuration, if so from what version:
- Defense+ and Sandbox OR Firewall security level:
- OS version, service pack, no of bits, UAC setting, & account type:
- Other security and utility software running:
- Virtual machine used (Please do NOT use Virtual box):
[attachment deleted by admin]