Buffer Overrun with CAV [Resolved]

Hey folks. Just installed CAV. Most everything works OK. The scan that it wants to do when it’s first installed (not the virusscan, but something that logs file sizes, etc… and sends that info to Comodo) gets a BUFFER OVERRUN message and quits. It runs every time I start the PC and always halts with this error. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Bobby

Welcome to the forums, Bobby

You’re referring to the UPSDBMaker (whew!) that runs after install. Not sure why it would causing/getting a buffer overrun message.

You may want to try (since it only takes some time) stopping CAVS (disable HIPS, disable On-Access scanner, and then select Exit from the systray icon menu).

Then uninstall (I suggest directly accessing their uninstaller from Start/All Programs/Comodo/Antivirus/Uninstall. Reboot, run a quick cleaner on the Registry (something like ccleaner or RegSeeker - both free – be sure to use the built-in feature to create a backup of the Registry before deletion of old entries). Reboot again, then reinstall CAVS (be sure to disable other active security software - antispyware, HIPS, etc - prior to install to avoid conflict).

On one of the install screens, you will have an option to deselect the UPSDBMaker from running after install is complete, on first reboot. You may deselect that to stop that module from auto-running. Then at any point you may manually start UPSDBMaker by navigating to c:\program files\comodo\comodo antivirus and double-click upsdbmaker.exe.

See if that helps. Given that it’s kind of system-intensive, you may want to allow 30 minutes or so, and not actively run other applications during that time. The 'Maker is very crucial for the HIPS; you want the benefit of running that.

LM

Thank You. I will try that.

Bobby

Hi

I’m having this same problem. (:SAD) I ran RegSeeker but still get the error. I have Win XP Pro SP2.

When the User’s Profiling Dialog Box runs I get the following message.

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Program: C:\Program Files\Comodo\Comodo Antivirus\UPSDBMaker.exe

A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the program’s internal state. The program cannot safely continue execution and must now be terminated.

The actual program seems to run okay but I want to make sure my system is protected. I’d appreciate any other suggestions on what to try next.

Thanks,

Mel

Just a quick question, what application/service is giving you the notice of a buffer overrun?

LM

After installing the Comodo A/V, and now when booting. I get the message when trying to run the scan in the User’s Profiling Dialog box. I get about 2 minutes into the scan and the message pops up.

MelT

Sorry, my question was not clear…

I realize that CAVS is the reason you’re getting the buffer overrun message. My question is, what application or service is actually providing you with this message? In other words, CAVS is causing it, but who’s telling you it is?

Hope that makes more sense.

Also, what OS are you using?

LM

No need to apologize, I’m sure it’s me that didn’t understand the question properly. I’ve worked with computers for years but certain areas are still a bit gray.

I believe it’s a Microsoft message, the heading at the top simply says Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime library. Then I have the dreaded big red circle with an X and the message I listed above. I run XP Pro SP2.

Thank you for taking the time to look into this problem for me.

MelT

Could you possibly capture a screenshot of the message, and attach to your post under the bold red “Additional Options”?

It sounds like an MS message, but that would help clarify it for the developers.

Tnx,

LM

Here you go

[attachment deleted by admin]

Tnx. I’m going to see if the developers are aware of any issue here…

LM

Mel,

The dev team is aware of the issue, but have not been able to reproduce it in the lab.

This is a reproducible issue with your system, correct?

LM

Yes, I had thought I had done something wrong so I had uninstalled and then installed a new downloaded copy. Have to admit though, I did not go in and clean the registry so if it is something in there it would have shown up in the second install.

Mel

Thanks. The dev team indicated that if it’s reproducible, they may be able to provide some specific tests for you to run to help them track it down, so don’t clean the registry yet…

LM

PS: I’ve PM’d the lead developer to let them know. They should be in contact soon…

Thank you VERY much!

Mel

Hi Mel,
I have added patch.rar file that contains three files with in:
SafeList.dll
Sha1hasher.dll
UPSDBMaker.exe

Please re-name existing once and place these into installation folder of Comodo AntiVirus and see if you still see the crash.

We have made few changes, which we suspect may cause crash in certain situations.

Please let us know here your results.

Thanks
-umesh

[attachment deleted by admin]

That worked! :BNC It ran perfectly this time, thank you VERY much.

Mel

I’m glad to hear that, Mel. That should help both you and the dev team out! Let’s see what they say next… :wink:

LM

Thanks Mel
Great to hear that it got fixed.
We will issue an update coming tuesday i.e. 18 Sep, 2007 and will also update CAV setup.

Thanks LM, i was just wondering if we could find more users facing this problem and could try out these binaries just to make sure it really got fixed, if you encounter any user please do inform him about this.

Thanks
-umesh

I will do so, umesh. Hopefully the OP will follow up as well.

LM