BSOD - CRC

Hi,

Apologies if this post was un-needed and the issue logged by Steinsk (Reply #11) on https://forums.comodo.com/comodo_registry_cleaner/comodo_registry_cleaner_bug_reports_beta_1-t26038.0.html;msg191404#msg191404 has been resolved in CRC 1.0.1.12

I tried to reply to the same post / other posts but couldnt, hence again apologies for an additional post.

I obtained the exact same issue as faced by the aforesaid avatar.

Used CRC 1.0.1.11

Firewall : CFP 3.0.25.378
Antivirus : Avast 4.8.1229

No other kernel hooks or security monitoring services at system startup

Steps :
Cleant and then tried compacting the registry [there’s something suspicious here - CRC showed 85% compression possible but NTRegopt compacted only 8%]

I allowed NTRegopt to compact, restarted and then ran CRC again, this time too it displayed 85% compression possible.

Went through the CRC compaction excercise, XP refused to boot, even in safe mode (couldnt even access system restore - which I had started only to test CRC :slight_smile: ) all of which gave me the BSOD mentioning the WINNT\system32\etc\config\SOFTWARE hive was locked or in use or missing or corrupt message - fail to recollect exact syntax.

Used a bootcd, fortunately WINNT\system32\etc\config\ had .back copies of the SOFTWARE hive (Cant recollect if CRC put it there as the timestamps were just before restart) and used the same to replace & restore.

XP started fine, no issues.

Cheers
Mohan

[attachment deleted by admin]