Browse button takes much time

Browse button takes much time

The bug/issue

1. What you did: D+ Settings > Execution Control Settings > Exclusions > Add > Browse
  2. What actually happened or you actually saw: It took 15 minutes to show up browse button with high level of hard drive activity
  3. What you expected to happen or see: Show up instantly
  4. How you tried to fix it & what happened: Re installed, removed configurations (clean install) but same
  5. If its an application compatibility problem have you tried the application fixes?:
  6. Details (exact version) of any application involved with download link:
  7. Whether you can make the problem happen again, and if so exact steps to make it happen:D+ Settings > Execution Control Settings > Exclusions > Add > Browse
  8. Any other information (eg your guess regarding the cause, with reasons): I have much files and folders in my harddrive Is it scanning all hd?

Files appended. (Please zip unless screenshots).

1. Screenshots illustrating the bug:
  2. Screenshots of related CIS event logs and the Defense+ Active Processes List:
  3. A CIS config report or file.
  4. Crash or freeze dump file:

Your set-up

1. CIS version, AV database version & configuration used: 5.0.163652.1142
  2. a) Have you updated (without uninstall) from CIS 3 or 4: nope
    b) if so, have you tried reinstalling (if not please do)?:
  3. a) Have you imported a config from a previous version of CIS: nope
    b) if so, have U tried a preset config (if not please do)?:
  4. Other major changes to the default config (eg ticked ‘block all unknown requests’, other egs here. )
  5. Defense+ and Sandbox OR Firewall security level: Not related
  6. OS version, service pack, no of bits, UAC setting, & account type: win 7 64 bit with latest updates
  7. Other security and utility software installed:
  8. Virtual machine used (Please do NOT use Virtual box):

Thanks for the bug report in standard format.

I note that some of the information is missing. I would be grateful if you could edit your report to include it.

Please do ensure you append your full active processes list and your defense plus logs

Do you have any Sony Ericsson Phone integration software installed - or maybe Recentx, Prevx or another utility in that series?

Best wishes

Mouse

Hello mouse1,

After my post I did some experiments and I was have lots of files on my desktop. With subfolders and zip files. It takes like more than 10k files and folders. After I was moving some of these files to somewhere else problem wasn’t occurred again. Same problem is occurring in “Antivirus > Scanner Settings > Exclusions > Add > Browse Files” but like I said, after that I moved and deleted some files in desktop, it doesn’t happening.

Then I did a performance profiling test on cfp.exe and I found these functions creates a lag spike in creating of that browsing window:

[tr][td]CEnumArchive::InitInstance(unsigned short const *,struct HWND__ *)[/td]
[td]97,09[/td][td]0,00[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] CEnumArchive::InitFromPath(unsigned short const *,struct HWND_ *)[/td]
[td]97,09[/td][td]0,00[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] CEnumArchive::_AddElement(struct _ITEMIDLIST const *,int)[/td][td]78,45[/td][td]0,00[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] dunzip[/td][td]12,11[/td][td]0,24[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] IsValidZipItemPath(unsigned short const *)[/td][td]5,08[/td][td]0,24[/td][/tr]

These functions from zipfldr.dll and caller is from shell32.dll. I did some search and I found zipfldr.dll is used for compressed folders and zip files. So problem maybe not caused by “COMODO”.

So here is a little detail about zipfldr.dll:

By default, Vista handles ZIP files like folders. This will show you how to turn on or off the ability for Windows Explorer to treat Compressed Folders like a normal folder and open and view it the same way (on), or like a file (off). For example, ZIP files show up under the folder tree (like folders) in Windows Explorer. Vista will look inside of the ZIP files when doing searches, causing it to take longer to finish the search sometimes. If you have another 3rd party ZIP program (WinZip, 7-Zip, etc.), then this can be an annoyance to you and you may want to turn this feature off.

Also there is some other dll called “cabview.dll” doing same thing.

So I was have some big cab files with much files in it for installation of a game on my desktop that downloaded by its web installer. Probably COMODO called function in shell32.dll to enumerate files and folders on my desktop, and these “new windows features” caused the problem.

For solving this problem I suggest showing only executable files in that browse window would be better. And maybe filtering out compressed files? Because they used in exclusions in defense+ and anti-virus, is there even needed to a jpg or zip file to be excluded from anti-virus or execution control?

Hope these information will help. Also very thanks for providing this great product for free :smiley:

And for people who experiencing same thing here is link for how to disable zipfldr.dll:

THanks for some excellent follow up research. Only in Comodo forums do you get users capable of this.

I’m inclined to let devs know about this anyway - they might chose to make some change in the way CIS operates - so it would be great if you could append the follow up info I requested in my last post. BTW there are known problems in browse delays with programs that hook inot explorer in ways that conflict with CIS, so it may be that you have that problem as well, and its the combination that is the issue.

Best wishes

Mouse

Hi mouse1,

Thanks for reply again, no I don’t installed any Sony Ericsson phone software. But I have Nokia software which has a phone browser functionality that COMODO shows up. When browsing in COMODO’s browser I can see it in “computer” directory.

Also I think it can’t be Nokia or other software problem, because I doesn’t done any changes in software. Only difference that I remembering when problem occurring and not occurring is cleaning up desktop and deleted some big cab files.

After I get rid of zipfldr.dll , cabview.dll I did another profiling and I see lag spike is gone.

For double checking you can get these cab files by this downloader and put them on desktop
http://gpotato.cdnetworks.net/US/AllodsDownloader20101004.exe

I would like to check it for you but I totally get rid of zipfldr and cabview and deleted all registry entries of them. Hope it helps

Thanks for the experimentation.

Will move this to resolved for the moment, but sticky it as particularly interesting

Best wishes

Mouse