Bootmgr image corrupt

Okay so I installed CTM latest stable version on 11/19/10 on my laptop (Win 7 x86, ASUS, Core2 Duo) everything was fine and had scheduled snapshots running never had to use them but i was checking and making sure they were working. on 12/21 I got a “BOOTMGR IMAGE CORRUPT” during a reboot. I could not do anything as this was right after BIOS int. I was able to use a BootCD and verified the HD was okay with bad blocks and chkdsk, still nothing.

On the bootCD there was an option to boot HD, did that and the computer booted okay but this was the state the computer was in prior to CTM being installed…(BASE). After reboot though the problem persisted.

I recently found that pressing Home key gets you to the Comodo Console, I was able to do a compact successfully, then attempted to restore to previous point in time, now the machine boots past this error and I get a blue screen, reboot. I disabled auto reboot on error, and its a c000021a stop error {fatal system error} The Verification of a KnownDLL failed. system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000012f (0x002211080 0x00000000). The system has been shut down.

Any ideas how I can recover from this?

Edit by EricJH: reverted all caps title to normal case

Okay so I went through every snapshot one by one, each spanshot causes the boot failure. The only one that works was the first one (Baseline). After using the console to restore to this snapshot the computer booted with no problem and all seems okay…

Question now is why did this happen and what happened to my snapshots? I can see them when I open the CTM GUI from windows… is there any way to get the data off these? Where are the CTM snapshots stored, when I boot off a boot cd and browse the filesystem is this the fs that CM Console boots or is it the image prior to CTM being installed?

Unfortunately there’s no such thing! I wish there were. I’d be careful using CMT. Many have such problems–some worse. I got to reading all the problems and uninstalled it before I had serious problems. Tried it again and had issues.

You know there are problems when the only stickies are what to do if the software causes you computer to not boot!

As far as getting data off the snapshots you would have to mount those images. Snapshots are stored on the unused space on the HDD and are not in a file as such. In other words you can’t find them other than mounting them.

See also
https://forums.comodo.com/news-announcements-feedback-ctm/how-many-users-have-not-had-trouble-with-ctm-t66094.0.html

Good luck

Formula84, as dagrev has said, CTM is not stable at the moment. However the unforgiving mistake you did was

On the bootCD there was an option to boot HD, did that and the computer booted okay but this was the state the computer was in prior to CTM being installed...(BASE). After reboot though the problem persisted.

By booting into Windows outside of CTM’s control you have effectively destroyed your snapshots. Evidence of this is the following

Okay so I went through every snapshot one by one, each spanshot causes the boot failure. The only one that works was the first one (Baseline)

Your baseline boots OK because its the OS before the snapshots are created and built on. You may be lucky and will still be able to mount your snapshots and recover your files. But i wont be suprise if some of them will be corrupted.

This advice from Valentin N

When you insert the windows OS cd you should select where Microsoft will search and repairs what's causing the problem. I assume that some important files are for the missing files.

is also a bad idea (sorry Valentin) for the same reason as your booting of the OS outside the control of CTM. This will only do more damage to your snapshots and may even make them completely inaccessible (data and all).

Your only option is to try to mount each snapshot and recover what you can (if you can)

Thanks for the reply’s, I am able to mount the snapshots… I figured as much that this was due to me booting windows outside of CTM. This was before I knew about the Home key…lol

Anyone know if this product can be used alongside of a backup such as Backup Exec system recovery? I know that this backups tracks at block level, is this type of backup compatible and if so when attempting a restore does it restore the CTM console?

Oh is my problem with BOOTMGR Image corrupt a common thing or a fluke?