Blocking Windows Operating System

Yesterday I found that Comodo was blocking an update of shockwave, so I attempted to clear it by removing it from my blocked events. Now I have trouble seeing a couple web page features, and have gotten a hundred or so Firewall events all blocking Windows Operating System TCP/UDP. I’ve attempted to go to Firewall > Network Security Policy to see if there is anything being blocked there that I can unblock, but nothing is listed as being blocked - everything has a green check except "block and log all unmatiching requests under CIS.

How can I remedy this? I can find no obvious blocking under Defense +, either.

On a possibly related note, for some time I have not been able to install Service Pack 3, due to “…smss.exe being used by another application - please close other application and try again” I can not find out how to identify and close this other app. I run AVG 8.5 antivirus on an XP machine.

Let’s break down the problem some.

What do you exactly mean with " Now I have trouble seeing a couple web page features"? What websites are effected and what functions are you referring to ( Java, Flash, Shockwave, Javacripts…)?

Can you show screenshots of your Global Rules and firewall logs. Global rules can be found under Firewall → Advanced → Network Security Policy. The Firewall logs can be found under Firewall → Common Tasks → View Firewall Events.

Unless you made some exotic changes to CIS I doubt CIS is interfering with the SP3 install. Are you doing the update to SP 3 through the web site or do you have the off line installer? Try disabling AVG for starters and see if that helps.