Blocking applications but they're able to connect anyway

I just got windows vista and my old firewall [sygate personal firewall] doesnt work anymore.

When i tell COMODO to not allow a specific program, it accepts it but the program can still connect. I tried it with firefox itself and the same thing, it allowes it.

I even changed everything it to Block in/out manuall and still same thing.

I like the look of COMODO PLEASE HELP!!

Aparently I ain’t the only person who have this problems…

I am looking for a good firewall program, mainly to block programs I have in my system from accessing the internet without my knowledge…

I tried blocking access for Firefox and like the previous user experienced, even though it shows the firefox.exe as blocked from all sort of in and outs… the firefox still browses the internet without a hitch…

are we doing something wrong…?

please advice…

Windows OS :- Windows Xp pro sp3

Hey guys, What mode are you running the Firewall in?

i ran it at custom policy because i wanted the firewall to prompt me each time a program wants internet access…

i put it to block firefox as a way to testrun… it says blocked and all but the firefox is still happily browsing away…

What permission is shown for Firefox in Network Security Policy

CIS>Firewall>Advanced>Network Security Policy

Change it to predefined policy ‘blocked application’ and test again. Do that show any results???

if i recalled correctly, doing that either completely blocks firefox from running at all, or the firefox is still able to run perfectly fine regardless of the “blocked” policy…because i did fiddle around whatever options there is and the firefox still got through…

i may need to get back to you on this since I am reinstalling my windows…

ok, just tried and set it as Blocked Application…

Firefox still able to browse the internet…

any ideas?

Help?

T,…,T

Firefox is probably in Comodo’s Whitelist. To ignore the whitelist you should put Firewall in Custom Policy and delewte pre-existing rules from the network security policy and try again.

whitelist… hmm, ok, will give your suggestion a go…

as to custom policy, yes, i did set it to run on custom policy…

will let you guys know how it went…

no good…

i deleted every existing rules and stuff…

but when I start firefox and block the request when it prompts me on whether to allow the firefox internet access or not, firefox still goes on browsing…

I’m really interested to know, have anyone else have this problem… ?

anyone with a solution is even better for me… hahaha…

help will be greatly appreciated in this…

:slight_smile:

Firefox will not load any pages here when I set the rule to blocked application. Firewall is in Safe Mode.
If I unblock it again I can surf without a hitch.

Oh I think there is something wrong with the configuration! In custom policy mode, in case no rule exists in the firewall policy, when you are alerted by firewall and you choose to block & remember, it should get blocked.

I tried it with Firefox, IE and Opera and it actually gets blocked and is not able to surf.

I request give you following suggestions.

1. Try stealth port CIS.Firewall>Common Tasks>Stealth Ports Vizard - select third one - block all incoming connections. (This is suggested with the assumption that while tweaking you have given your network complete access as trusted network).

2. Try Diagnostics . CIS>Miscellaneous>Diagnostics

3. Check the firewall configuration status. Right click CIS>Configuration>be sure it is either proactive or internet security.

4. Give a screen shot of the rule generated for firefox in Network Security Policy for experts of the forums to give their comments / suggestions.

(I suppose you have 32 bit XP/Vista and you have downloaded the correct CIS and not a 64 bit version).

My last suggestion, if nothing works out (though may not be digestive to you), is to do a complete reinstall of COMODO CIS. CIS actually blocks and works fine and as per experts is one of the best available firewalls.

Ditto here. I’m running Safe Mode. If I simple block Firefox under Network Security Policy/Application Rules, Firefox won’t connect. Resetting as Web Browser re-enables Firefox connectivity. I would suggest a clean reinstall of CIS.