Blocking an ip address

Help I’m having trouble blocking a website/ip address.
I’ve added this entry to my hosts file
127.0.0.1 98.126.75.194
and yet I can still access 98.126.75.194 (despite every other entry in my host file working fine)
I’ve went to Network Security Policy and added a global rule to prevent access to 98.126.75.194 and yet it’s futile!

Are any of you able to block that website via host? What could possibly prevent me from doing so? Am I going about it the wrong way?

If this site is being accessed by your browser, you will need to add a BLOCK rule using this IP address to your browsers application rules. Block ports 80 and 443.

Ewen :slight_smile:

May be IP is still in the local DNS cache. To flush the DNS cache it open the command prompt and execute the following command:
ipconfig /flushdns

Also make sure to restart your browser.

at panic

no,
a global rule on top of the global rules set which says something like “block any traffic to this adress”
should block any traffic to that adress.
even if the browser has an allow rule.
try to tell in that global rule: “block IP ANY (means all protocolls) from ANY port and adress to ANY port, when target adress is 98.126.75.194”. and it will be blocked, as long as there isnt an allow rule above it.
no matter if anything in the application rules would tell another rule.

if you have the (useless) rule “allow outgoing traffic” in global rules above the block rule, the block rule will not work.
btw, you can erase the useless rule. because in global rules a not existing allow rule is not resulting in a block :wink:

at EricJH

the firewall should block what its told to. why should a dns cache contradicting a firewall rule? i hope not :smiley:

My reply was added to make sure the hosts file block would work assuming he entered the entry technically correct in the hosts file.

I’ve flushed dns and restarted my computer multiple times. Also would like to note that I’m still able to access it by other methods such as cmd ping.

if you have the (useless) rule "allow outgoing traffic" in global rules above the block rule, the block rule will not work. btw, you can erase the useless rule. because in global rules a not existing allow rule is not resulting in a block

I assure you all my global rules consists of blocking. I have nothing “green lighted”

at EricJH

the firewall should block what its told to. why should a dns cache contradicting a firewall rule? i hope not

Agree but unfortunately this one particular address seems exempt from all forms of blocking. I urge you guys to try and see it’s not just exclusive to me.

I’ll test it tonight when I get home and report back.

Ewen :=)

This site, for me, doesn’t produce a default page, however you should be able to use either of the methods described above, or you can add the address to the Blocked zones feature of CIS, which can be found under Firewall/Network security policy/Blocked zones.

[attachment deleted by admin]

This method worked, thanks. Quite strange how hosts file doesn’t work though ??? As honestly I would’ve preferred redirecting it elsewhere. But for the scope of this topic, Blocked Zones does work for simply blocking it.

As far as I’m aware, you cannot use Windows host file to map one IP address to another. It only works when mapping a host/domain name to an IP address.

Ah that makes total sense! Today I learned.

Well I was able to achieve what I wanted by going to my Local Area Connection–>IPv4 Properities–>Manually putting in my ip/dns information–>Advanced–>Add the IP and subnet mask I desired to block.

Now when I go there I’m redirected to 127.0.0.1 works like a charm.

I appreciate everyone help in this thread I learned a bit. Thanks