Blocking all reports to MS

Hi.
Can anyone give me any advice for blocking all report attempts to MS?

Do you mean error reporting?
In that case, go to control panel/system/advanced/error reporting and turn it off.

No. I want block all possible communication with MS serevers by svchost and other windows processes. I do not want send any data to MS. Windows update should not be blocked.

Hi, Kuko!

I think you will want to have a look at this (starting from post #4):

No need, by the way, to keep windows update on every day. It should be enabled only once a month (the second Tuesday of the month) together with BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service). If you shut down what is indicated in this post, you will win in:

• security (fewer attack vectors on-line)
  • privacy (no need for Microsoft to know that you’re on-line every day)
  • bandwidth (more speed; svchost will not even ask anymore to go on-line)
  • system functionality (you will have up to 75MB system resources available for useful things)

Depending on your Internet habits, and if you want to go through all this for your privacy, you might also be well-advised to block Windows Media Player and ALL Microsoft Office applications in your firewall. Remember?

[QUOTE]Security - Tasks - Define a new banned application. Browse for the application that you don’t want to grant any Internet acces rights, but don’t define any parent. Click ‘OK’.
[/quote]
Before you dig in, read first and ask if necessary. Also, don’t shut down any Windows services while you’re on-line!!! Copy-and-paste the info to a txt file on your computer and work from that file, but off-line…

Kind regards,

Paul Wynant
Moscow, Russia

I think your link is what I need. I will read it very carefully.

Thank you. (:WAV)

p2u.
I followed your advice and turned off the services that i hadn’t already turned off.
I always like to get some extra resources… ;D so i always turn a few unnecessary stuff off. There where a few i hadn’t tried before, so i thank you for the tip.
Why is it important to do it off line?

If you turn off (and stop) certain services (DNS Client for example) that are busy on the Net (svchost seems to be busy there all the time if you don’t do anything about it ), you might get error message and even BSoD. I wouldn’t like that to happen to anyone.

Besides, you get confused: if a BSoD happens, the advice CAN’T be good; let’s not do it. That would be very sad, because one of the best things to do for your security (other than installing COMODO) is to shut down unnecessary Windows services.

Paul Wynant
Moscow, Russia

OK.
Thanks.
I have not had any BSOD, but I have set them to manual and stopped them. I know that some of them starts anyway. Some of them are inactivated. I do have a lan, so i have to have a few running.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but there’s a quicker way to toggle the Windows Update service and Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS):

sc config bits start= demand
sc config wuauserv start= auto
sc start wuauserv
“C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe” Microsoft Windows Update
sc stop bits
sc stop wuauserv
sc config bits start= disabled
sc config wuauserv start= disabled

This script will temporarily enable the WU and BITS services then open IE browser to the Windows Updates site. Once you manually close IE it disables the services. This is what I use for on-demand access (like once per month). I found this script on the web a while ago. Enjoy! :slight_smile:

Note: This assumes the default IE executable path and is intended to manually download updates on the Windows (not Microsoft) Updates site.

[attachment deleted by admin]