Blocked Softwares suddently updating when vpn launched

Hello,

I blocked a lot of sotware from updating and it work great, but I soon as I launch my vpn, every software ask me for the update. This is a problem for years now on this laptop, i can’t find the solution.

Any idea? i’m on win 11.

Hi TrueBlackWarrior,

Thank you for reporting.
Could you please share us the steps to reproduce this issue ? so that we will check and report this to the team.
Sharing the issue reproducing video would be helpful to reproduce at our end. (Not mandatory)

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

Hi,
I have tried uninstalling the firewall+my the third partie VPN, reboot, install the firewall THEN the VPN. I have always done in this order on all my computers, but to be sure I reinstalled this way. This laptop was bought with win 11 preinstalled, it’s a recent one.

i will not make a video just to show that with the VPN on, all my softwares asks for the last update, and when no VPN, I relaunch them and they are asking nothing.
Windows firewall on or off on top of that change nothing.

I’m searchign now a solution to block anything when the vpn is on exept the web browser, or something like that.

Hi TrueBlackWarrior,

Thank you for reporting.
May i know your CIS version and vpn name version ?

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

Hi,

I’m only on the personnal firewall, not the CIS. It’s version 12.2.2.8012.
And the VPN is AirVPN.

Hi TrueBlackWarrior,

Thank you for providing the requested information.
May i know your Airvpn version ?
And have you created hips/firewall rule for blocking software ? if so share us the screenshot of the rule ?
Are you using any other security software other than comodo firewall ?
Any related screenshot to reproduce this issue would be helpful.

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

Hi,
-AirVPN v 2.21.8
-I’m always on custom ruleset, and since I have uninstalled it recently I have few things blocked:
*The avira vpn is blocked
*OfficeClickToRun.exe blocked
*Office SDXHelper blocked
*OfficeC2RClient blocked
*OneDrive Filecoauth.exe blocked
*OneDriveStandaloneUpdater.exe blocked
*Microsoft Sharepoint blocked

For example the software “DxO Photolab”, that was not longer bloqued because I reinstalled comodo+the VPN 3 days ago:
-VPN On, I launch DxO, comodo don’t ask for anything, the software propose an update
-VPN turned off, I launch DxO, the custom ruleset ask if I want it to connect to the internet, I say no+remember as I usualy do for years, DxO does not propose un update
-VPN reactivated and running, I launch DxO, the software propose an update

Hi TrueBlackWarrior

Let me check this case and update you.

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

Comodo’s Firewall usually adds a Firewall Driver to your Network Adapter:

But this isn’t always the case with VPN Adapters and something I believe they’ve been working on. My suggestion is to create a Windows Firewall rule since it runs along side of CF for the programs you wish to not allow updating or see if you can install the firewall driver to the adapter but I’m not sure this is possible.

Was the VPN installed prior to CF installation? Will let @C.O.M.O.D.O_RT follow up with assisting you.

Yes, on this laptop the Comodo Firewall Driver is installed for the ethernet and the wifi, but not on the VPN Adapter, like for all the others computers near me, mostly on win 10, and i have never had this problem on them.
I installed comodo and the vpn last year i think, and i don’t remember the order, and this is because of that that I uninstalled the two some days ago for restarting with the firewall first then the VPN. But maybe I should try a more deep uninstalling, not sure it’s necessary.

It’s a bug with some VPN types and I can’t see that it’s been addressed yet but there is a big beta release coming in December where they’ve apparently fixed a lot of bugs so it might be addressed. In the interim, just changing the windows firewall rules for apps you don’t want to update as blocked as a workaround.

Thank you for the advice, i will block by windows firewall as you say, and will wait for the december update, in hope of a potential fix.

Hi EricCryptid,

Thank you for supporting.
Is comodo firewall driver doesn’t added in every vpn software ? if not could you please list the vpn software which doesn’t have comodo firewall added.

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

Ref: Comodo Internet Security 2024 v12.3.1.8104 beta - #204 by fcab

and original bug list: List of current bugs - Comodo Internet Security - CIS / News / Announcements / Feedback - CIS - Comodo Forum

“Firewall does not filter network access when windivert 1 or wintun 1 is being used. Cloudflare Warp which uses windivert 2, applications that use wintun are OpenVPN version 2.5 or later and Wireguard. Due note that Windows firewall and other 3rd party firewalls that use WFP can still perform application filtering when wintun and windivert are running.”

Looks like it’s something your working on as indicated in the Beta post.

1 Like

Hi EricCryptid,

FYI: The team are aware that openvpn, wintun, wireguard adapter doesn’t added comodo firewall driver adapter.

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT