Block ping requests?

Hello,

I am new to this firewall and I have looked thru the faq’s but haven’t been able to find an answer for this.

When I go to the Shields Up website and run the common port test I get:
Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) — Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal firewalls can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping requests in order to better hide systems from hackers. This is highly recommended since “Ping” is among the oldest and most common methods used to locate systems prior to further exploitation.

Is this something I should worry about? Is there a way to disable the ping request?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Larry

Hi bbtrpt1,

You asked if you should worry about it, and I gotta say yes. As you wrote, Ping is one of the oldest method that hackers use to scan for open ports in your system.
Here’s a really great article to block PING requests thruough IPSec(it’s built into Windows, so don’t worry about downloading anything) :
http://www.petri.co.il/block_ping_traffic_with_ipsec.htm

I’d say it’s a good way to block it. I’ve ran Shields Up! with Comodo disabled and all ports were stealth, so it’s working good. Not sure, but shouldn’t CPF block Ping requests?

Ragwing

Hi bbtrpt1,

If you have a router, the router may be responding to pings, and it probably has a setting for that.

CFP should block pings by default (according to the Network Monitor settings), but the router is upstream from that.

Hope that helps.

[attachment deleted by admin]