Block all outgoing connections while booting

Hiya,
I’m not sure whether this belongs in the HELP or the GENERAL DISCUSSION section. Plz move if wrong here.

I’ve been quite busy setting CPF to suite my needs but now that everything’s working the way I want it to work I finally have the time to deal with this little problem:

Since I advised CPF to “block all outgoing connections while booting”, boot time has increased by approx 20 seconds, which is a bit of a nuisance. However, I’d still like to have the extra protection. Is there any way to decrease boot-time, e.g. by changing the starup order? If yes, how can this be done? I don’t want to create a .bat-file and delete all registry entries as I’m not so familiar with these kind of tweaks and don’t want to mess things up. I also don’t really like to install another programme which uses extra cpu time.

1. Would it help if I changed the startup order?
  2. If yes, how can it be (safely) done?
  3. Is it really necessary to block outgoing connection while booting? (IMO it’s a very important thing to do!)
  4. Any other suggestions?

Cheers,
grampa.

Hey grampa,

Blocking all connections while booting will produce exactly the result you’re getting here, regardless of the boot order (or at least I haven’t been able to speed it up if it’s set ON). I’ve tried this in several PCs, and they all slowed down noticeably.

Unfortunately, this, like most computing things, is a question of compromise.

Besides, if a 20 second boot delay fractures your world, get another world. :wink: (Only kidding.)

Cheers,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Cheers mate for your quick reply.
And be assured that a 20 sec boot delay does not fracture my world :smiley:
Just thought it’d be nice if there were a way to circumvent this.
Cheers,
grampa.

grampa
Nothing you can trim out of startup?
Some bios have a quick boot setting where it bypasses some of the POST, could be some settings in your mobo manual. Disable Floppy Drive Seek might take a split second off.
I have time to make a cuppa on my bootup.

:■■■■
Sullo

There is. Get a slower clock. :smiley:

Sullo,
thanks for sharing your ideas.
I’ve already disabled everything I know is safe to disable in startup (msconfig).
All that rests is:
C:\Windows\ATK0100\HControl.exe
HDAShCut.exe
RTHDCPL.exe
C:\Programs\ASUS\Power4Gear\BatteryLife.exe 1
CPF.exe
BOC423.exe
avgnt.exe (AntiVir PE Classic)
C:\Programs\ASUS\Wireless Console\wcourier.exe
C:\Programs\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe /tf Intel PROSet/Wireless
C:\Programs\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EOUWiz.exe
C:\Windows\system32\ctfmon.exe

I’ll check my BIOS as well (though I don’t understand everything you say (:SHY) Only the part with the floppy drive seek. Not really familiar with BIOS.

Thanks for the help.
Any further suggestions will be appreciated.
Cheers,
grampa.

;D ;D ;D

Maybe this should really be moved to general discussion:

I also always get these annoying pop-ups by Windows Security Centre telling me that my AV was deactivated (of course, by Comodo).
Should I simply disable the service (Security Centre)???
Are there any downsites to doing this / does it affect any other services/functions?

Cheers,
grampa.

I’ve also checked the option of blocking all outgoing connections while booting, but havn’t actually noticed any delay. Maybe I’m lucky or can’t tell the difference… like you, I have also disabled as much as possible from starting up.

Here’s the start up list, one gotta be proud of it :slight_smile:

BOClean - BOC423.exe
CAVS - CMain.exe
CPF - CPF.exe
For sound - Soundman.exe
For touchpad (extra buttons) - SynTPEnh.exe & SynTPLpr.exe

Sum = only six programs and maybe I’ll drop CAVS when CPF 3 is here… Not even Microsoft’s ctfmon.exe is left, deleted it completely some days ago. :slight_smile:

Have you tried other solutions to decrease boot time, like cleaning and defragmenting the Windows registry? Cut a few seconds for me as I deleted a thousand errors and compacted the registry by several percents.

Hey,
I’m really jealous of your very beautiful startup list.
Can you simply disable ctfmon? What about HDAShCut.exe and RTHDCPL.exe? What about the Intel Wireless stuff?
However, I disabled the touchpad entries (still works but for the scroll-function)

How can I defragment my registry? (I just remembered this being discussed in another thread I started (ToniArts EasyCleaner and other cleaners: You answered this question there :)).

Thanks for the help.
Cheers,
grampa.

Hi!

Yep, you can remove it, but only if you don’t use MS Office. I don’t know exactly how it works but as far as I know, ctfmon.exe is only related to MS Office. As I use OpenOffice.org I decided to remove it, even though it hardly uses any resources. Here’s what I did:

1. Boot in safe-mode (press F8 before Windows loads)
  2. Open the folder C:\Windows\system32 and delete ctfmon.exe
  3. Run regedit, look up all about “ctfmon.exe” and simply delete

Can’t guarantee you that this is safe, but everything works excellent for me - not a trace of ctfmon.exe :slight_smile:

Unfortunately I’m not familiar with HDAShCut.exe and RTHDCPL.exe, maybe you can search your computer and find what they are for? Or you can search on Google? As for the wireless stuff, I suppose it depends on you connection - do you ever use wireless internet or just cable/modem? Like you I first disabled the touchpad, but really missed the scrolling functions so now it’s back.

I also remember that registry thread. It is a vast topic! I think most people can agree that CCleaner safely removes errors. A great compactor which I occasionally use is RegCompact.NET ( RegCompact.NET download | SourceForge.net ). However, it uses the Microsoft .NET framework, so if you don’t have it and don’t want to install it, you may want to use NTREGOPT 1.1 ( freewarefiles.com - freewarefiles Resources and Information. ).

Hope this helps you anything :slight_smile:
/L

Thanks a bunch.
That DID help a lot.
I think my startup list is really as small as it possible could. I always use wireless internet, I use MS Office and I’ve already googled for HDAShCut.exe and RTHDCPL.exe (can’t remember results but I think they are needed somehow.
As I don’t know much about the registry I think I’d better leave it alone (although I use CCleaner and Easycleaner (only trust the latter for deleting registry entries as it’s not as thorough as CCleaner - less danger.)
Thanks for your help.
I guess I’ll have to live with about 90 sec boot time (hard disk on notebook is quite slow - I think 4000something rpm / 512mb ram / 1.6 Ghz), it’s not too bad, is it?
It takes 50 secs til desktop shows + 40 secs for all progs to load.

Cheers,
grampa.

Ok, good to hear :slight_smile:

I don’t think you should be afraid of e.g. NTREGOPT though. Run it - click ok to reboot - that’s it!

Perhaps you’ve already done everything else to speed up your computer. My notebook have similar performace except for the ram which is 1,2 GB, it boots in only 40 seconds, then it takes some extra seconds for it to “settle”, depending on Comodo updates etc.

Greetings,
L

You can also use PageDefrag by SysInternals. It will defragment your paging file (which can help speed things up) and your registry hives.

LM

PS: Oh, and grampa, yes you can completely disable Windows Security Center; it will not impact anything that I’m aware of.

Cheers LM,
have already used that (I think you already proposed that prog in another thread started by me - can’t remember which one though) and it worked fine.
Lately, however, I’ve become a little wary using these progs (PowerdefragmenterGUI having destroyed a kernel file, which caused me to reinstall Windows).
It’s great to always see so many responding to whatever post and giving such valuable advice.
This forum is unrivalled !!!
Keep up the great work.
Cheers,
grampa.