Bloatware's Definition

Hello, I just want to ask, What is really ‘bloatware’? (In your opinion)

Is it a program that provides many functions, like Media Player Classic can play audio and video file?

Thanks for your solution.

Essentially something that takes up way too many resources and gives little in return.

There also seems to be a definition that assumes when lot of functionality gets added that alone makes a program bloated; usually it is assumed that the memory and CPU consumption go up significantly with bloat. The latter is not necessarily true for programs like CIS and Opera browser as far as my experience goes

my opinion:

a s/w that takes up too much resources.

Melih

From Wikipedia:
Software Bloat, also known as bloatware, is a term used to describe the tendency of newer computer programs to have a larger installation footprint, or have many unnecessary features that are not used by end users, or just generally use more system resources, while offering little or no benefit to its users. Bloatware is also used to describe software that comes pre-installed on a computer when its bought, mostly consisting of trials.

From Webopedia:
(blōt´wãr) (n.) jargon Software that has lots of features and requires considerable disk space and RAM. As the cost of RAM and disk storage has decreased, there has been a growing trend among software developers to disregard the size of applications. Some people refer to this trend as creeping featuritis. If creeping featuritis is the symptom, bloatware is the disease.

From Hutchinson Encyclopedia:
Disparaging term for personal computer software that takes up lots of hard drive space and/or memory. In the early days of computing, both were very expensive, and expert programmers attached most kudos to the ability to fit programs into very small spaces – sometimes with unfortunate consequences, as the century date change or year 2000 problem shows. Now that PC memory chips and hard drives are extremely cheap, programmers have different concerns, but some people brought up in more frugal times find it hard to adjust.

Some application that’s inclusive a lot of feature and the user didn’t use it all.
Also don’t have an option for custom install only that user want.

For example : A Exterme Security.

Hi Petit, what is really the software that you give as the example?

I wouldn’t consider resource usage. To me, bloatware is software that contains features and options that people don’t need and will never use. A lot of authors start off with a fine usable product and because it is the nature of programmers to always want to “perfect” their creations, they keep adding things that in many cases are simply not needed. Fancy GUI’s that do nothing to enhance the program’s function are one example but there are many other ways that software can become bloated. Unfortunately, most developers don’t know when to stop.

Based on your opinion, what are the examples of bloatware?

I’m sorry if I repost…

I’m too lazy to search …

Say Nero, ZoneAlarm, Acrobat reader, Real player, ITunes, oh and Opera >:-D Joke! Opera is the opposite of bloat which is, mmmm don`t know an official term, lean maybe?

1 more and it`s a biggy…Vista

Matt

Plus every Symantec product before 2009 :wink:

But, why do the manufacturers create their software bloated?

I don’t understand them … ???

Wikipedia’s definition of Software bloat.

I do like this bit…

Niklaus Wirth has summed up the situation in [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirth%27s_law]Wirth's Law[/url], which states that software speed is decreasing more quickly than hardware speed is increasing.

If you developed software for a living, you would understand why it is easier to develop bloated software than non-bloated software.
:smiley:

my opinion:

a s/w that caters needlessly to the needs of the few above the needs of the many.

One major reason is because it’s cheaper. HP/Compaq for example. Why do they have 50+ bloated applications preinstalled on Vista OS’s? Because they’re making money by including those apps in their products (plus they’re promoting themselves with their own pre-installed junk as well). Also in installers, Shockwave Player for example, includes a Norton Scanner. Once again, because they are getting paid for it.

you can click your own profile to search for your own posts

I had to resurrect this thread… just could not stop myself

What is bloatware? Comodo

Comodo officially makes it onto my “Bloatware” list. Install Comodo firewall, get firewall, Comodo Geekbuddy, Comodo Dragon and more! Bah.

that is all.

Hi Nossie,
What is inattention? Someone lacking attention. 88)
It is all optional during install.
Installation instructions

I was actually looking up ‘comodo bloatware’ when I found this thread… the situation was just too exquisite to deny.

‘inattention’ on installation.

also known as trust.

Comodo, you lost it.