Beta V's GA Channel Releases

Hi

Not sure I fully understand this ??? It is mentioned that a beta version will be released the same time as the general available (stable) version. As in the last update (4.0.1.6), what is the difference between the beta (which I’m using) and the stable version?

:slight_smile:

None, it’s said with the ‘same codebase’. It will allow you to use beta channel for future updates.

I still don’t get it ???. I could understand if 3 or 4 beta’s (say 4.0.1.7, 4.0.1.8, 4.0.1.9, etc) were released before the final (say 4.0.1.20). If the beta is going to be released the same time as the stable version (with the same version no.), then I’ll stick with the stable version.

Edit: Maybe the version no. will be different but the release of 4.0.1.6 (beta and stable) confused me ???.

I understand it like this. There will be released two installers, beta and GA(stable), which at the date of the release will not differ at all, apart from the fact that they will use different ‘servers’ for future updates.

The beta version will allow you to use the latest beta updates, minor updates, which won’t be fully tested or stable.
The GA version will update only occasionally when the devs will think that the current beta is stable enough to make it public.

The whole point of this is to simplify the update process, which will be done automatically. Although, I know applications which handle this by simple checkbox in the options instead of two separate installers. 88)

I guess the beta release (installer) will allow “new” beta testers to jump onboard whereas those of us currently beta testing just need to update each time within the browser. Thanks for explaining.

Hi

I still don’t understand the difference between GA (stable) and Beta releases ???. Both are released at the exactly the same date, include the same fetures, etc on release. The only difference (I can see) is the version numbering and that they update from their own channels. Am I missing something?

The only difference (I can see) is the version numbering
Are the file sizes different like "gears.dll" ???

I am awaiting further clarification from the Project Manager on this. It doesn’t make much sense. It would appear to be the same file as the file size is the same.

However, the hash is different.

md5sum DragonSetup*
2dc72cc804317371153054e870df1b52 DragonSetup_beta.exe
e38201fdc2f88792fd40a806cb239422 DragonSetup.exe

However, the hash is different.

md5sum DragonSetup*
2dc72cc804317371153054e870df1b52 DragonSetup_beta.exe
e38201fdc2f88792fd40a806cb239422 DragonSetup.exe

Possible idea

If installed GA version and beta version in 2 different folders. Take the dragon.exe files for both of them (NOT the dragonsetup one) then extract the dragon.exe file from the installed folder and put the extracted dragon.exe to a new folder for each of them. I’m almost willing to bet there different (They may be the same size, but the code is slightly changed. (But not enough to change the size) That would explain why there the same size with different hashes.

Any file that’s even ever so slightly modified will change the hashes :slight_smile:

Thank you I am well aware. After all I do work for Comodo so I am required to know this. :wink:

I use the stable (GA) version at work and on my main computer at home and the beta version only on my test tablet. Visually (around the GUI), I see no differences between the two.

I was expecting the beta to maybe update 3 or 4 times (inc. new features, bug fixes, etc) which would then finally appear in the stable release but going by the original statement, both are to be released at the same time ???

Thank you I am well aware. After all I do work for Comodo so I am required to know this
My bad, I didn't know you work for comodo. I just thought you were a mod only :)

I would expect the same as well. We shall find out in the days to come if this holds true. :wink:

Hi Sal

Any news / updates on this?

Hi All,

I’ll try and clear up the confusion with an example.

The next beta version available on the beta channel will be based on chromium 5. The GA channel won’t get version 5 until the beta has been released for a while and we’ve had a few beta updates.

This means the beta channel browser will have a higher version number and newer features than the GA channel during the beta testing period before the GA release.

When the beta is fully stable, we’ll update the version and release a GA and a Beta version together. At that point, both GA and Beta users will get the same version. In this case version 5.x.x.x. This means the Beta channel version will always be at least equal to or greater than the GA channel version. The betas we release are fairly stable and can be used as normal in most cases so it’s very easy for beta users to use it as their regular browser. For example, I always use the Beta channel update path.

Beta channel users will then get the next set of new updates before the GA channel but potentially less stable than the GA channel update path.

It’s like the Beta channel takes every step on the ladder but the GA takes every 3rd stable step.

Beta versions for beta testing are only available via the forums for our users. We don’t use a check box for this and have one version, because we don’t want to make beta versions available for regular non- forum/techy/tester users who haven’t deliberately chosen to take the beta update path.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Shane.

Hi Shane

Thanks for the explaination. Hopefully us beta testers will now see a few more betas coming our way 8).