Best/Recommended vLite Configurations

Read the guide - it explains some things :slight_smile:

Haha…oops…well I just finished downloading it. Had it going over night. (:SHY) sigh

Ok…I have been making quite a few different vLited ISO’s, testing each in my VM, and finding errors with each. This time I have another error after installing, when I try to boot-up. See attached.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hi Jeremy, the wise man spoke. do NOT play with things thou knowest nothing about, or you’ll be sorry :cry:
Good luck anyhow ???
Regards & have a :■■■■
Xman (:KWL)

Sorta taking Xman’s advice, I’ve decided that I will only remove stuff I’m sure I won’t need.

I would still like someone to tell me what was wrong though…

Here’s how much space vLited Vista SP 1 with all my applications takes on my PC (without the page file) :slight_smile: Since I use Vista only for gaming now - I have special tweaked video drivers and I have Fallout 3 installed now. So the real size might be about 1.15 GB ;D

Windows Folder is 990 MB

This is about as low as I can get and still have a fully working system :-TU (I think for Vista it’s pretty good)

I made this post for people to compare their full-blown Vista installs with this and consider vLiting :slight_smile:

So does Aero affect the speed any?

Nope. Not here at least. In fact I think it’s faster :slight_smile:

(And BTW L.A. is a guy, though he shaves his legs ;D) !ot!

Grrrrr…I’m so mad! I keep trying and trying my vLite config, but EVERY time I test it in my VM I get an error saying this stupid “hal.dll” is missing or corrupt. I feel so sad. :‘( :’(

Anyone know what removal is causing this? Please?

Can you post your list on what you have removed ? :slight_smile:

Oh that…well…I just erased that test. Making a new one now. If this new, and bigger one still has the problem I’ll post the config.

Grrr…I still have the problem.

I attached SS’s of all of the parts I did not remove.

Edit: I forgot to attach. (:SHY)

So you can remove UAC? I would probably do that, I’m doing completely fine without it in XP. :SMLR

LA

Did you remove anything at all ? ;D Cos it looks like you haven’t :smiley: It still need to know what have you removed to figure out what could be causing the problem :slight_smile:

P.S. Yes you can remove UAC. But I don’t do it. I just set this bastard not to question me ;D

The main things I removed were all the languages and printer drivers I don’t need. Trying again

New config, haven’t tried it yet.

Attached the preset (sorta important note: since .ini won’t upload, I changed the file type to .txt).

Just zip the file ;D

Absolutely. Besides, there is not such thing as “best” or “recommended” vLite or nLite configuration simply because everyone uses the OS in their own way. The XP and Vista have all this stuff in them to accommodate all kinds of users… that’s why it’s called a general purpose OS. What’s useless for one it’s not for someone else.

Sure, but I think it’s possible to find some configuration settings that are “best” or “recommended” for most people. Of course there is no complete configuration that apply to everybody.

LA

For all of you that play with nLite and/or vLite and wonder about the services this site is an excellent destination:

You can find pretty much everything you need to know about the services in Vista and XP OSes. Very useful.