bad experience with comodo firewall I am afraid

After reading the Matousec leak test results I uninstalled my trusty Sygate PFP and downloaded Comodo, to try it out. The firewall installed fine, and seemed to work well, although I missed the depth of info I am used to pulling off the sygate interface about what app is listening or connecting on which ports, for instance.
Sadly, after a few hours, my computer crashed with a blue screen of death - hasn’t done that in YEARS!
Not easily discouraged I rebooted and things went well, for a while. Two days later, I had another BSOD. Not good! I rebooted again. Shortly after, I partially lost control of my mouse (Logitech setpoint software, Logitech G7 mouse), and experienced flickering screens, uncontrollable listboxes and scrollbars with wild palpitations. Also, the machine became extremely sluggish. A restart did not fix this, except for the sluggishness, the other problems persisted. I actually had to power down the machine externally & reboot before these phenomena disappeared - which in my experience points to extreme memory corruption.

At that juncture I decided to uninstall Comodo. I have Sygate back up, and have not experienced any problems since.

regds, -Peter

I haven’t had anything like that happen, but I was/am a Sygate user, and decided to try something new. I’ve never had a blue screen, but I have had a lot of connectively problems.
At home it seem to only happen once in a while, I loss the internet for no reason, I tested everything, and it always comes back to the fact that I’m using a different FW and I need to get use to the quirks in this program. I also tried Comodo on my work PC, but that was a total failure. I lost my network printer, my Outlook Exchange server, and the office datatel printers and plotter.
Not totally unexpected for a free FW but thought I would pass it along.

You need to set up RULES for all those things to work .
This is not a " install and forget " firewall and the fact that you loose those things
proves how solid Comodo is . Comodo blocks virtually anything that hasn’t been
allowed by the creation of a rule or is in the " known applications " list .

fertzel, RLJSlick,

I’m sorry you’ve had such problems with the firewall.

Like Gordon points out, it’s not an entirely “install & forget” firewall. This has both positive & negative aspects (depending on your perspective).

On the positive, it provides a very high level of protection; as noted by the leaktest & termination tests. Also, the developers are very attentive to their users’ problems & requests, and work to resolve issues and provide new aspects to the program - all without crippling the security or bloating the program.

On the negative (here’s where the perspective thing comes into play), the user may need to do some configuring in order to get some specific functionality. This firewall, more than most others I’ve seen, requires some user interaction and understanding of what is going on. Thus, if you’re on a network where you are sharing access, files, printers, etc, things may be a little more complex. CFP is designed to work “out of the box” in the majority of situations; the use of wizards to create Zones and define those as Trusted Networks will normally resolve any issues with file/print/access sharing (provided that those shares are properly set up and working in Windows prior to CFP, and that the right executables are allowed access). Due to the way computers work, some users’ setups have proven to be problematic. However, once it is properly configured and working, there really isn’t much more to do except add applications and approve new components as needed.

On the negative (more perspective), because of the way CFP monitors changes to files, components, etc (in order to spot potential connectivity hijacks), there are sometimes conflicts with other applications that monitor the system, provide security, etc. This has been shown to result in some BSODs with certain conflicts; Comodo has worked very hard (with user feedback and help) to track those down and create updates that fix the conflicts. While this occurrence is unfortunate from a user perspective, it can happen with any software and computer; not just Comodo.

On the positive, Comodo provides free support http://support.comodo.com/, and these forums. Comodo has a strong staff presence in the forums, in addition to knowledgeable users and volunteer moderators; the majority of problems are able to be handled here efficiently. We all take pride in the products, and truly desire to help resolve any issues that arise.

LM

Yeap we tried all that, we added the range for our printers, and we also made a rule just for our network printers and we would get a “refuse to” error. Seem like the printer refuse to send throw the firewall. I will keep working on it, it’s a great product I don’t have this on my small network at home. Thanks again.

I haven’t had any problems with Lan config, nor with the network printer access here (printer directly networked to switch with a fixed IP) . Nor should I, considering that I do some sysadmin work and security consultancy on the side :wink:

So I have no problem with the task of configuring the firewall and setting up rules.

The bsod’s on the other hand I am afraid I find totally unacceptable, certainly a machine which is a server as well as a workstation. Even on a games machine it’s no fun watching an NT memory dump.

I wish the team luck with their enterprises, but for the time being I am going to have to pass.

-Peter

Try setting the devices up with fixed IP and creating a specific rule to allow both directions for that IP, both UTP and TCP traffic. Sometimes dhcp just doesn’t work too well through a firewall. I’ve gotten some problematic setups to work that way.

Failing that, you could also try to associate the mac address(es) with a certain IP on the dhcp server, and, again, give that IP free reign from the firewall end.

Worth checking out if the devices start out with a default IP that is not recognized as trusted by the firewall … I’ve come across a comp that IDed with a 234...* address before requesting dhcp service. That’d be a dead end trap. Not sure if Comodo allows mac based rules, I didn’t get into it that far.

h.t.h. -Peter

I’ve had the same experience with the dredded BSOD after installing CPF. But this is not a new problem. About 8 months ago, when I first heard of CPF (can’t remember which version it was), the very same thing happend to me on 2 different computers. I hoped the problem was sorted out with the latest version, but a couple of days after I installed it, I got the first blue screen. I uninstalled CPF after the 2nd blue screen and that was the end of my problem. Don’t get me wrong; I think CPF is a great product, if not for the BSOD it causes. I urge you guys at Comodo to solve this A.S.A.P!!!

(:SAD) Riaan

agreed , BSOD’s are not acceptable.
Do the systems experiencing that problem have something in common ?
maybe the nVidia onboard firewall ??