Backup Basics

I have a specific situation but a very common one. I have some basic questions because I am trying to find a backup solution that will answer all of these concerns. First of all, I have a Windows 7 Ultimate system with two internal drives and two external drives. The C drive is just holding the operating system and the D drive is about 400gb of data. The external drives are both 1TB.

Things I need:

1. A system image so that I can boot from a CD/DVD and restore the system in case of a major crash
  2. A backup rotation so that I can hold a few weeks of data on a single external hard drive (i.e. Full weekly, diff daily or Full monthly, diff weekly, incremental daily???) I don’ t know. But the trick here is that the system should OVERWRITE files as needed so that I do not run out of external hard drive space and have the backups fail
  3. I would like to be able to take an external hard drive off site periodically and have the second external hard drive hold the backups. Not sure how this would work at all.

Why are backups so ■■■■ complicated. The Windows Backup and Restore utility attempts to resolve all of these issues but it is so ■■■■ slow and it locks the drive and makes it impossible to see what really is being backed up.

Anyone have any good answers??? Has anyone figured this out??? Here it is 2012 and backup/restore is still primitive. Is it just me???

The old Comodo Backup made backing up to local hard disks easy, it could do straight copy of files so not in some unreadable compressed format. Not sure if their new version does this as it seems like it has become much more complicated and wants to use a cloud based system which is charged for and all your files can be lost if your now paid for subscription lapses.

Yes, still a need for a simple system which I am also interested in. At the moment I still use an old Comodo backup which simply works.

To clarify;

1. The current version can still perform file system based copies as well as CBU compressed archive copies.
  2. It can also create backups in ZIP, ISO and self extracting CBU formats
  3. The current version does not tie you to using the “cloud” as a destination, but it can be if desired.
  4. You can use local disk, LAN, FTP or cloud as destinations.
  5. Everyone can have a FREE 5GB Comodo Cloud account.

[at] Raptor007, I’ll have a more in depth look at your original post tomorrow.

Re. Q2, off the top of my head, using the macro REVISION_NO_MAX allows you to specify how many revisions will be stored before overwriting (e.g. a value of 4 for this macro will result in backups A, B, C and D being created on the first four runs and then backup A is overwritten on the 5th run and so on an so on …).

I’ll do my best to give a fuller response tomorrow (my time).

Cheers,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Backup can be used in a BartPE boot disk
http://help.comodo.com/topic-9-1-143-1473-Appendix-3-Creating-a-Rescue-Disk-with-WinPE---BartPE.html

2) A backup rotation so that I can hold a few weeks of data on a single external hard drive (i.e. Full weekly, diff daily or Full monthly, diff weekly, incremental daily???) I don' t know. But the trick here is that the system should OVERWRITE files as needed so that I do not run out of external hard drive space and have the backups fail

I think you will need to do at least two backups to do what you want - a weekly full of your boot drive and a daily incremental (with the revision macro) for the data drive. The number of revisions you select will determine the numbers of days between overwriting the base backup with a new full backup.

3) I would like to be able to take an external hard drive off site periodically and have the second external hard drive hold the backups. Not sure how this would work at all.

Got me there too. Windows will see each drive as a separate discrete object with separate drive references.

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile: