Azerues and uTorrent trouble

Hi there

I know this has been asked quite a many times here, and I have tried to read all of those, but unfortunately I could not resolve this issue no matter what ever way I try. Still I offer my apologies for bringing up this common issue back again.

I always get Yellow icons beside my torrents in Azereus and uTorrent shows that port is not forwarded at all.

I added the following rule according to the tutorial in this forum in CPF:

Action = Allow Protocol = TCP or UDP Direction = In Source IP = Any Destination IP = your computer IP adress (or "Any" ) Source port = Any Destination port = *****,#####

You must move the rules up, over the default rule “Block IP in”. ( CPF “reads/applicates” the rules from the top to the bottom)

I have also moved this rule up as said above. * denotes the port number used by uTorrent and # denotes the port number used by Azereus.

After all this i am always getting the Yellow icons.

The hardware through which i connect to the internet is as follows:

HUAWEI Quidway WA1003A. The connection is PPPOE connection connected through onboard 10/100Mbps LAN card.

I have no idea whether HUAWEI is a modem or a router.

I am completely in dark on what to do, and I am a real novice regarding this matter. So please help me out.

Thank you.

Hi…

I can not tell you whether you are having a modem or a router. Check it with your vendor. And if it’s a router you need to configure it for port forwarding. When it’s properly configured you won’t be getting the yellow icon. Help is available at the uTorrent as well as here, on how to configure a router for torrents clients.

Help is available at the uTorrent as well as here, on how to configure a router for torrents clients.

Can you post the link here?

Thank you

I think it is a router.

See whether your router is listed here. It should be listed here. And do the necessary settings for port forwarding

The link below will help you to configure Comodo FW to match your torrent client or any other client application. Select from the list

http://portforward.com/english/routers/firewalling/Comodo/ComodoFirewall/ComodoFirewallindexIn.htm

Thank you for the second link. Unfortunately the specific router is not listed in the page directed by the second link.

I have forwarded ports using the guide, and I hope that the issue shall be resolved.

I shall post a feedback here.
:SMLR

Within Azareus and uTorrent, you will also need to do two things (if you have not already done so…):

Turn off UPNP.

Turn off the feature to automatically assign a port, and manually enter the port you want to use (this will match your firewall rules).

LM

Thank you LM :SMLR

I have turned that off according to your advise.

BTW, I have seen in my router that there is an option to enable UPnP. Should that remain disabled too? Could you please demystify this UPnP a bit?

Please find the screen shot of the router page attached with this post. I did not change anything here as I hardly understand it properly.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3050/router7wj4.th.jpg

Thank you again.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Leave disabled if you are manually port forwarding.
Demysify UPnP. Someone can probably explain this better than me. It’s basically protocols for devices to connect without too much user intervention. It’s sorta similar to Plug and Pray (sorry Play) that if you connect a PnP device to your computer the os does most of the configuring for you. In the old days you needed experts to install something as simple as a video card.

This might give you a better idea.

The wikipedia link is probably the best place I could point you to, as well.

Here’s the question of the hour… do you have the green light now?

LM

Yes, fortunately I got a green icon in Azereus for the first time, but I would like to wait a little longer before I call it a day as the Icons again turned yellow after sometime, and as I write this post both the torrents that I am downloading are yellow. :frowning:

I uploaded a file for some time in uTorrent and it also reported that the ports are opened. :slight_smile:

Thank you for your help.

BTW, though the icon was green the download speed was horribly low, only around 15 KBps. where as my connection is up to 2 MBps. Please note that I do not choke the upload speed of the torrent as I consider it to be unethical. I am using Azereus presently.

One info: I use PerrGuardisn2, is there any issue between PG2 and CPF?

Could you please suggest some thing to increase my download speed? [apologies if I strayed too much from the topic]

Thank you again.

Try patching the tcpip.sys file: https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,7116.0.html

Thank you Soya for the Link :slight_smile:

I have downloaded the patch, but as i tried to run it gave me the following info and choice:

Found Limit Position: 0x4F7C6 Current maximum concurrent half-open connections: 50

Do you really want to change the limit to 10?

Now here I am getting confused. Should I allow it to lower the limit to 10? Isn’t tat going to slow me down further?

Please advise.

Thank you.

I haven’t ran the patch in a long time, but if you reach that question answer N or No, whichever applies. I think 50 to 100 is a good range. If you’re not receiving any errors in Event Viewer then you probably don’t need it patched.

Did any of the other posts in my link help?

What else you can do is upload an edited sample of your logs to see if anything is blocked.

Since you’re running 2 simultaneous p2p programs, make sure that you have 2 network rules to allow TCP/UDP In to 2 different destination ports (whatever you assigned in uTorrent and Azu) to your computer.

I have pg2 and cpf running with no problems. One thing I have found on mine is that pg2 is holding up shutdown, so I always close pg before shutting down.
This is off topic but with my modem a lot of times it will remove my applied port forward rules and I have to go in and reapply them. Pain in the backside, but what the hey. ???

There are so many factors that determine speeds besides connection.
I’ve had tcp tweaks suggested that have helped, I think.
Used the patch and set to 50.
Added the port unreachable rule to cpf.
From my readings the correct speed guide settings in utorrent are fairly important
But at the end of the day peers/seeds and share ratio have a big say in speed.

Thank you very much Soya :slight_smile:

Your links were obviously of great help as usual.

Before I bother you more I would like to watch these torrents for another day or two to see if it is remaining yellow most of the time and after that I shall post an edited log for your kind review.

Generally I do not use two torrent clients simultaneously, and generally I used uTorrent, but lately I am migrating to Azereus as I have heard that uTorrent is entering in a deal with certain bodies under which certain external agencies will be able to monitor my download. I consider this as a serious breach of my privacy and also I do not think it is good for my PC’s security [SONY DRM Rootkit- remember?] :SMLR

Here I would like to inform you one more thing and that is Azereus contains a tool which can check whether the port used by Azereus is forwarded properly or not. I used that tool and found out that the port is forwarded properly. Keeping this in mind do you think that I need to forward the port manually in my router?

Hello Sullo

Thank you for your input. I have not received any shut down problem while using PG2!

Added the port unreachable rule to cpf.

Is it the rule as stated in the tutorial for forwarding ports for Bittorrent client? Did you tweak your TCP using TCPOptimizer?

I agree completely with you that it is the quality of the torrent which is most important, though sometimes the speed is going to 3-4KBps, which seems to weired, and even if the number of seeds are more than the peer number I find that the speed is not that much.

The ICMP rule suggestion came from utorrent forum, they said it would help slightly with speed.
“allow icmp out from ip any to ip any message port unreachable”
Some I’ve noticed have set allow all icmp.

Posted speed tests etc on the forum and one of the gurus gave me the settings for TCPOptimizer.
I agree that your speed doesn’t look all that good. Has it always been like that or just recently. There is a test torrent (forgive me I’ve lost the link) somewhere on a dedicated server. I did a test download, I think it was a copy of open office , and my avg speed was what I would expect for my connection. Your isp is not throttling you is he.

As Long as you are using uTorrent 1.6 with automatic updates disabled you should not worry. But it’s better to switch to a better client in the future. The problem with Azeureus is it’s a resource hog! There are clients which will ultimately replace uTorrent (eg:Halite) But these are still in Beta Stage. We just have to wait for sometime :slight_smile:

It shouldn’t take a day or two. To me, it only takes a few seconds to go green. Once it does, it stays that way.

Please vote here: https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,7332.0.html - I agree with the others in keeping the version before uTorrent was sold and disable updates. I also agree that in the future it will probably be necessary to switch to Halite or whatever that’s closest to being equivalent.

I don’t have a router, but I have read in the uTorrent page that it is necessary. Remember that a router is a hardware firewall in which it protects inbound connections before CFP does. Port forward is just another term for opening up a port, which of course is needed for your listening port.

Hello Soya

It shouldn't take a day or two. To me, it only takes a few seconds to go green. Once it does, it stays that way.

Nope it is not happening in that way. First of all it is taking around 10mins to become green and sometimes becoming yellow.

I have contacted my ISP regarding the router, let me see how they can help me out in Port Forwarding.

As Long as you are using uTorrent 1.6 with automatic updates disabled you should not worry. But it's better to switch to a better client in the future. The problem with Azeureus is it's a resource hog! There are clients which will ultimately replace uTorrent (eg:Halite) But these are still in Beta Stage. We just have to wait for sometime

Problem is before I came to know about this issue I had started to use 1.6.1 version with update enabled. As I do not have the older version I do not think I am going to use it again.

Thank you for the other Torrent client Halite, I have downloaded and ran it, but it seems to me that it still requires a lot of improvement regarding customization. There is one very useful feature in uTorrent which enables it to pick up downloading a torrent content a part of which may have downloaded by some other clients. So you do not loose any data that you already have. i do not think this feature is there in this client.

The ICMP rule suggestion came from utorrent forum, they said it would help slightly with speed. "allow icmp out from ip any to ip any message port unreachable" Some I've noticed have set allow all icmp.

Posted speed tests etc on the forum and one of the gurus gave me the settings for TCPOptimizer.
I agree that your speed doesn’t look all that good. Has it always been like that or just recently. There is a test torrent (forgive me I’ve lost the link) somewhere on a dedicated server. I did a test download, I think it was a copy of open office , and my avg speed was what I would expect for my connection. Your isp is not throttling you is he.

Thank you sullo for your input. :slight_smile:

Can you please explain how to set up the ICMP rule in a bit more detail?

Is it possible for you to give me the link of the Guru who guided you in configuring TCPOptimizer?

I searched for the test download torrent in Google, but I did not get any link. :frowning:

BTW, I am having this speed problem for the last few weeks I think. I have senta complain to my ISO today and they should get back to me in 2 working days. Lets see what happens.

Thank you everyone. (L)

All the versions of uTorrent are available at http://www.filehippo.com/

Go there and download 1.6

That’s what I did!

P.S:Make sure to disable automatic update!