AVS: CIS 3.9 versus free Avira

Hello Silentmusic7. I got 2 Fps in Winra yesterday and have seen the same Fps reported by SSJ100 as well. I played arouind doing scans on medium and low, as the Fps occurred on High settings of the Av. When i reduced the setting to low the Fps stopped. I will wait for a fix in another Db upadate.

Regards
Dave1234.

FPs on my PC:
1 for Avira with disabled heuristics
1 for Avira with high heuristics
2 for CIS with disabled heuristics
4 for CIS with low heuristics
4 for CIS with high heuristics

Since I want to avoid FPs with Parental Control enabled, I disabled heuristics for CIS.

Even though Avira has higher FPs than most AVs on the market, Avira appears to have fewer FPs and better detection than CIS for zero-day malware. But since Avira only gets 70% of zero-day malware, I am depending on CIS’ firewall and Defense+ anyway. With Parental Control enabled, low FPs is more important than superior heuristics. With disabled heuristics, Avira and CIS have equivalent performance from what I gather. Therefore, CIS wins for real-time scanning for me because of superior resource usage and integration with the firewall and Defense+.

I hope for fewer FPs from CIS in the future (looking forward to 4.0), but CIS has won me over for real-time scanning. Congratulations to Comodo!

I guess whatever works for you mate. I also disabled heuristics in Comodo and still kept getting lots of false positives. Not a single false positive for me with Avira since switching permanently to it, and I think Avira runs lighter than Comodo AV on my system. Comodo’s Firewall and Defense+ are top notch for sure though!

Sandboxie is an amazing addition too. I still can’t get over how incredible its scope of protection is.

When every I install Avira I have 4 fp’s right off the bat that I have to tell it to ignore. With CAV I have about 7 fp’s that I have to tell it to ignore. I have both with heuristics on “high”. FP’s are no big deal to me. How can Avira run lighter when it runs 2-3 more processes then CIS. Riight now CIS is using. 8,000 K with its 2 processes. Add up all of Avira’s and its about that or more.

Mate, everyone’s system is different. I don’t go by how much memory each process is using (I’ve got plenty of RAM to spare anyway). I go by what is noticeable to me, as the user. From my perspective, Avira AV runs marginally lighter compared to Comodo’s AV. I conclude that because from my perspective, with full CIS installed, I perceive it being slightly heavier than with Comodo Firewall, Defense+ together with Avira AntiVir.

FPs might not be a problem for you with Comodo AV, but it was a problem/annoyance for me. I also had compatibility issues with IE 8, Sandboxie, and Comodo AV. Hence the move to Avira. Since then, problem-free!

My experience with Avira AV as a substitute for CIS 3.9’s AV to avoid the problems with ie8 and sandboxie has been disappointing:

Avira gives me 46 “false positives” on a system scan or when doing a system backup, requiring me to respond each time with an ignore. I say “false positives” in quotes as I know that these programs written in Assembly use techniques that the huristics of Avira properly fear are signs of malware; but Avira’s Alsheimer-like inability to remember from one time to the next what I want ignored is frankly unbearable.

So, when ever I want to scan or backup my system, I turn off the Avira real-time Guard and turn on the CIS, so I do not need to respond 46 times telling the forgetful Avira that, yes, I still do want these programs on my system.

When I am done and want to go back to browsing with ie8-sandboxie, I turn off CIS’s AV and turn Avira back on.

I HOPE that the Comodo crew with come up with a solution so I can forget about Avira.

Any chance of that happening soon?

Good to know that I’m not alone with this - IE 8, Comodo AV, and Sandboxie just don’t get along. I really got irritated at people who didn’t admit that this was a problem. They obviously didn’t follow my instructions to reproduce the problem. I’ve since observed 2 others on the Sandboxie forum who have the same problem, and now you’re the 3rd mate. I’m sure there are many out there! Show yourselves, so that this problem may be fixed haha.

To be honest, I’m actually very happy with Avira AntiVir. I don’t get many false positives at all with Avira (certainly much much less than I did with Comodo AV).

EDIT: by the way, if you’re really sick of Avira, how about rolling back to IE 7 and sticking with Comodo AV and Sandboxie. There’s no problem at all with IE 7.

Is CIS v3.10 compatible with IE v8 and Sandboxie?

3.10 works with IE 8. I cannot tell about Sandboxie as I don’t use it.

Best configuration right now would be Firewall/Defense+/Microsoft Security Essentials. Take a look at

I’m not so sure about av-comparatives honesty and/or competence.

+1 ;D ;D Peghorse’s tests are great !

What gives you the impression that av-comparatives is dishonest or incompetent? I don’t see on av-comparatives.org where they tested Microsoft Security Essentials.

P.S. I watched the videos without sound if it was mentioned in the videos…

I test regularly malware products on a virtual machine and my results don’t match what I find in av-comparatives and other related sites.
Maybe my fault.

No improvement for me!

Of course they don’t match what you see on AV comparatives, They never will :wink:
They differ, because the samples you use and the samples AV comp use are different.

They can provide you with a generalisation, however they will not be “Accurate” The only way to be accurate is for one test publisher to have all the samples of malware ever created.

I only use the firewall